Pickups? Big Difference?
badfingers93
Feb 21 2011, 07:39 PM
GMC:er
Hello GMCers biggrin.gif I've had my Ibanez RG 370dx for about a year and a half now. So about a week ago, i decided i wanted to try changing the old infinity pickups with new ones. I looked around town for different brands, Di Marzio, seymour duncan etc. Then i realize i did not take into consideration that i was using a multi effects pedal most of the time during gigs and practice at home. So, the question is, does pickups really matter if my guitar sound and tone is mainly shaped and fine tuned by effects?
Currently, I can get tones that i like from my boss me-25, but does changing the pickups really make it sound better?

Oh and yes, i found out about this pickup company called TESLA pickups. It's from korea and not that widely popular compared to other brands. I heard that it's not too bad considering it's cheaper than most pickups. Here's the page http://www.teslapickups.com/ Tell me your views guys, any recommendations, advice are appreciated thanks biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 21 2011, 09:19 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
If you install active pickups like EMGs you will definitely notice a difference, even with a ME processor. But even upgrading to passive pickups will produce a noticeable difference, just not as much as the switch to active pickups.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 21 2011, 11:16 PM
Mudbone is right on the money smile.gif You'll notice a difference even with passive pickups if you get something nice. First, ask yourself what type of tone you are going for. Then find players that have a sound you like. Find out what pickups they use. That will give you a good idea. Also, try playing different types of pickups in a guitar shop all on the same amp to see what they sound like.

In the end, it's up to you but I'd say it's hard to go wrong with EMG pickups. I just love them.

Todd

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 22 2011, 12:40 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Changing pickups changes the tone of the guitar a LOT, so yes, you'll notice it, no matter if you play clean or through the ME.
I'd say EMGs are great for metal, they can increase sustain with their compressed kind of sound, for meaty/evil distortions.

Then again some high gain passives work great too, all pups have a character of their own, try before buy if possible, it's a matter of taste.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Feb 22 2011, 05:21 PM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Feb 21 2011, 08:19 PM) *
If you install active pickups like EMGs you will definitely notice a difference, even with a ME processor. But even upgrading to passive pickups will produce a noticeable difference, just not as much as the switch to active pickups.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 21 2011, 10:16 PM) *
Mudbone is right on the money smile.gif You'll notice a difference even with passive pickups if you get something nice. First, ask yourself what type of tone you are going for. Then find players that have a sound you like. Find out what pickups they use. That will give you a good idea. Also, try playing different types of pickups in a guitar shop all on the same amp to see what they sound like.

In the end, it's up to you but I'd say it's hard to go wrong with EMG pickups. I just love them.

Todd

QUOTE (Fran @ Feb 22 2011, 11:40 AM) *
Changing pickups changes the tone of the guitar a LOT, so yes, you'll notice it, no matter if you play clean or through the ME.
I'd say EMGs are great for metal, they can increase sustain with their compressed kind of sound, for meaty/evil distortions.

Then again some high gain passives work great too, all pups have a character of their own, try before buy if possible, it's a matter of taste.

Thanks guys for the advice, i must admit that i'm a metal fan but i'd like to be a versatile player. Besides, i often play with different bands playing different genres. So i'd like to be versatile with my tone and sound tongue.gif The EMG's are definitely something which i have been looking at, but it's more for heavy music i guess? So what pups would you guys recommend for my RG? It has basswood body with maple neck.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 22 2011, 06:37 PM
QUOTE (badfingers93 @ Feb 22 2011, 11:21 AM) *
Thanks guys for the advice, i must admit that i'm a metal fan but i'd like to be a versatile player. Besides, i often play with different bands playing different genres. So i'd like to be versatile with my tone and sound tongue.gif The EMG's are definitely something which i have been looking at, but it's more for heavy music i guess? So what pups would you guys recommend for my RG? It has basswood body with maple neck.

A common replacement for that type of Ibanez is a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and either an Air Norton or PAF Pro in the neck position. To me, the PAF Pro looks more appealing to have in the neck position, because it has a better treble response.

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Feb 22 2011, 07:55 PM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Feb 22 2011, 05:37 PM) *
A common replacement for that type of Ibanez is a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and either an Air Norton or PAF Pro in the neck position. To me, the PAF Pro looks more appealing to have in the neck position, because it has a better treble response.

Thank you for the suggestions biggrin.gif I probably need to check some videos on the pickups you just mentioned. In the meantime, i have another question, lets say if i do decide to go with the pups you recommended, is it necessary to change the middle pickup as well? Or sticking with the infinity should be fine?

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 22 2011, 07:56 PM
Instructor
yeah, you'll surely notice it

It does change the tone on your guitar quite a lot

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Feb 22 2011, 11:11 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Feb 22 2011, 06:56 PM) *
yeah, you'll surely notice it

It does change the tone on your guitar quite a lot

Thanks for the help biggrin.gif So do you have any recommendation for an RG basswood? (as in pickups) thanks again!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 23 2011, 12:46 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (badfingers93 @ Feb 22 2011, 07:55 PM) *
Thank you for the suggestions biggrin.gif I probably need to check some videos on the pickups you just mentioned. In the meantime, i have another question, lets say if i do decide to go with the pups you recommended, is it necessary to change the middle pickup as well? Or sticking with the infinity should be fine?

You should be able to change one by one pickup. Maybe you should just change one for start and see how the sound changes. Then later on you can decide for the other pickups.

Mudbone suggestions sound very good- check out those pickups online in demos.

Overall pickups influence your tone very much - and its fun to experiment. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 23 2011, 02:56 AM
QUOTE (badfingers93 @ Feb 22 2011, 01:55 PM) *

Its not necessary to change the middle pickup, it all depends if you like it or not. If you're happy with it then there is no need to change it, unless you like to try new things. If you do decide to change it, you might want to check out the DiMarzio "True Velvet Middle Pickup", some of the premium Ibanez guitars are equipped with it. Keep in mind this isn't a hum cancelling pickup in and of itself, but it is reverse polarity, so when the pickup selector is on the 2 or 4 position, it cancels out hum. This type of single coil pick up will be the easiest to change. There are also stacked and rail single coil pickups (also known as hum-cancelling), which have a little more wiring.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 24 2011, 01:04 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm in the same boat as you, badfingers. I have an RG 350 DX and wanted to upgrade my Infinities.
I was looking at the DiMarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups.

I wonder about putting Super Distortion pickups in my cheaper IJX 121 Ibanez. I wonder what other pickup do I get for it? It looks like there's only one Super Distortion. What would I put in the neck? Also, how would you be able to install active pickups in a passive guitar?

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Feb 24 2011, 04:46 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 24 2011, 12:04 AM) *
I'm in the same boat as you, badfingers. I have an RG 350 DX and wanted to upgrade my Infinities.
I was looking at the DiMarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups.

I wonder about putting Super Distortion pickups in my cheaper IJX 121 Ibanez. I wonder what other pickup do I get for it? It looks like there's only one Super Distortion. What would I put in the neck? Also, how would you be able to install active pickups in a passive guitar?

Super distortion pickups are high output pickups, i guess you could use it in the neck but with a low-gain amp. Or else you might be facing with feedback problems. Also, personally i don't like the super distortion for down tuning metal playing because it sounds muddy. But for basswood, it should sound good in standard tuning. (But this is just my personal opinion)

If you do decide to get super distortion, maybe an Air Norton in the neck should be good. I tried it in an RG and its clean and smooth. Or maybe a Tone zone in the bridge and FRED in the neck. The FRED have a brighter tonal characteristic in my opinion.

Installing active pickups in a guitar with passive pickups should be possible. I think lots of people have done that biggrin.gif They might need to find some space for the batteries though. For RGs, the EMGs should be able to fit right in biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by badfingers93: Feb 24 2011, 04:47 PM

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 24 2011, 11:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Hmm...maybe I should save up for good pickups for my cheap guitar after all. I don't wanna get rid of the guitars. I like them. I can't imagine why my cheaper guitar would sound bad with 81/85 EMGs. biggrin.gif Maybe DiMarzios in my Ibanez RG.

+Quote Post
badfingers93
Feb 25 2011, 09:52 AM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 24 2011, 10:51 PM) *
Hmm...maybe I should save up for good pickups for my cheap guitar after all. I don't wanna get rid of the guitars. I like them. I can't imagine why my cheaper guitar would sound bad with 81/85 EMGs. biggrin.gif Maybe DiMarzios in my Ibanez RG.

Haha...just like todd said, u can't go wrong with EMGs biggrin.gif I have them in my cheap ltd m-10 and it sounds great! But yeah, they are definitely more costly than the super distortion passives...

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Mar 4 2011, 01:18 AM
I do not have a similiar guitar as you but I just put Seymour Duncan JBs in my guitar replacing the Duncan Design ones that came with it. These are passive humbuckers, but I noticed a tremendous change in tone, so much so that I am redoing all of my settings in my amp. I used to compensate for muddy sounds from the pickups, now that is not there and I have to figure out settings again.

THE BIGGEST thing I did though was I found sound samples based on the construction of my guitar that helped influence me plus I looked at others who used them. That is my only suggestion before you put out the cash.

This post has been edited by Michael AC: Mar 4 2011, 01:19 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:01 PM