18 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan, This will speed up progress and give you structure
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 8 2014, 07:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Apr 7 2014, 04:55 PM) *
Thanks for your feedback Cosmin it put a big smile on my face.All advice is taking on board and I will be putting it into action smile.gif
The lesson that I feel most confident with just now is Darius's Alternate Picking Workout 2.There is a couple of things that I am working on it at the moment one being trills.It is the first time I have came across them and I am just practicing them with the metronome at a slower bpm to get them sounding even and precise. hopefully I should have it up soon once I sort out the parts I need to work on

That sounds excellent, mate smile.gif Glad to see and hear that we are making progress and I am waiting to see the video or any other questions you might have on the way wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Apr 10 2014, 09:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Cosmin,

I'm currently enjoying my new PRS. What a nice guitar smile.gif I love the sound of the EMG's (because I'm a heavy metal dude) and the Floyd Rose is fulfulling it's promise.

I'm practicing a variety of lessons

String bending
Ben's Vibrato Odyssey
Dave Murray style
Winter Tune

And I'm recording a new instrumental song which I will release on my youtube channel very soon.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 10 2014, 12:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 10 2014, 08:32 AM) *
Hi Cosmin,

I'm currently enjoying my new PRS. What a nice guitar smile.gif I love the sound of the EMG's (because I'm a heavy metal dude) and the Floyd Rose is fulfulling it's promise.

I'm practicing a variety of lessons

String bending
Ben's Vibrato Odyssey
Dave Murray style
Winter Tune

And I'm recording a new instrumental song which I will release on my youtube channel very soon.

Hey Jeroen, sounds like fun indeed smile.gif Just make sure you practice them well and focused so that you won't end up burned out and with far less results than expected because of spreading yourself too thin smile.gif If you already have vids, you can post them here when you want smile.gif Keep rocking, mate!

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Apr 13 2014, 05:06 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 10 2014, 01:59 PM) *
Hey Jeroen, sounds like fun indeed smile.gif Just make sure you practice them well and focused so that you won't end up burned out and with far less results than expected because of spreading yourself too thin smile.gif If you already have vids, you can post them here when you want smile.gif Keep rocking, mate!

Here's my first tryout of the rhytm guitar of Winter Tune:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 13 2014, 05:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 13 2014, 04:06 PM) *
Here's my first tryout of the rhytm guitar of Winter Tune:

Hey man!

Very clean and articulated playing! smile.gif You tend to rush a bit against the groove, in moments such as 0:32-0:33, but otherwise I have nothing to observe, on the bad side, of course wink.gif Good going - let's see the rest now smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Apr 15 2014, 03:41 PM
Hi Cosmin,

I'm now working on the first part of the solo.

-I need to play it a bit cleaner or lower the gain.
-Add vibrato on certain notes
-There's a mistake with the hammer ons/pull offs at around 1:08

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 16 2014, 04:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 15 2014, 02:41 PM) *
Hi Cosmin,

I'm now working on the first part of the solo.

-I need to play it a bit cleaner or lower the gain.
-Add vibrato on certain notes
-There's a mistake with the hammer ons/pull offs at around 1:08

Hey mate smile.gif Aside from the stuff you have noticed - which is a very good way to improve: record and then listen smile.gif You can usually say what you don't like immediately. I would also point the timing issue - there are a few phrases which are particularly rushed, even though out of what I can figure out, you have recorded over the original recording.

Please focus on the phrases around 0:39 and 0:44 for instance and try to move your picking hand and left hand less - you will gain more accuracy for certain!

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Apr 18 2014, 06:31 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 16 2014, 05:05 PM) *
Hey mate smile.gif Aside from the stuff you have noticed - which is a very good way to improve: record and then listen smile.gif You can usually say what you don't like immediately. I would also point the timing issue - there are a few phrases which are particularly rushed, even though out of what I can figure out, you have recorded over the original recording.

Please focus on the phrases around 0:39 and 0:44 for instance and try to move your picking hand and left hand less - you will gain more accuracy for certain!

to be honest, I did not record over the original take. Still work in progress this. Especially the final piece with the bend notes + vibrato are really challenging for me..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 19 2014, 02:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 18 2014, 05:31 PM) *
to be honest, I did not record over the original take. Still work in progress this. Especially the final piece with the bend notes + vibrato are really challenging for me..

Ah, my bad - I had the impression you have recorded over it - please do smile.gif It's a very good method of finding out if you are in tune or not, if you nailed every form right, or not or if your bends are accurate and so on smile.gif I am curious about the outcome of the first try, so let me know how it goes, ok?

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Apr 24 2014, 06:31 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2013, 10:54 AM) *
At times, most people encounter these types of problems when learning to play guitar:

- You are a beginner and you don't know where to start
- You are stuck with a certain area of your playing
- You don't use your practice time as efficiently as possible
- You feel lost because you have started practicing too many things at once and you are nowhere near your desired goal...

We want to help you get on the right track as soon as possible - and for this reason I am offering you a unique opportunity to set up a personalized lesson plan.

Please just answer the questions below, either in this topic or via private message. I will then set you up with a practice regimen consisting of GMC materials, that can cover a week of practice towards your desired goal.

* How long have you been playing the guitar?
* What do you feel your current level is?
* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far?
* How much time/day can you spend practicing?
* What are your favorite techniques?
* What would you like to improve?
* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)?
* What gear do you own?
* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing

If you can provide audio/ video materials of your playing, it would be very helpful.
If not, we can work things out either way smile.gif

I will try to get back to you as soon as possible, hopefully today already - depending on the amount of applications.

I am looking forward to helping you getting on the right track!

Cosmin

I started out as a classically trained pianist at the age of 9. My parents said you are going to play music and we had a piano in the house sooooo that`s where it all began. I had to do the old black tie on stage alone on the grand piano in a huge auditorium full of people. But no pressure right. hahaha oh man I used to feel like i`d pass out I was so uncomfortable. But yeah playing live in a band is way easier than the solo performance show.

At the age of 15 I found my moms old acoustic guitar and started trying to play, classical music was a bit unfulfilling for me and I loved classic rock. One day the song Limelight from RUSH was on the radio and I just started playing it with the radio, the opening riff the cords, it`s as if my hands knew what to do. The lightbulb went ON------ I can actually play whats on the radio because I did`nt think it was possible to do that for anyone, it was like mere mortals cannot play as good as whats on the radio. I was so happy.

Quit piano, started guitar and now its over 20 years later......

Skill level ??? I have no idea, I have been paid to play live and in the studio and many big shows been very lucky.
My first big accomplishment was learning Adrain Smiths guitar part note for note on the Iron Maiden Live after death album when I was a teen. I used to play along with the album and freak my friends out.

What do I know? I have been exposed to a lot but I seem to only retain what I use the most and much of the music theory, modes and altered scales I don`t really like the sound of so I don`t use it much. Major, Relative minor and some modes makes up the bulk of what I use and remember.

I practice up to 6 hours a day if I need to but I try to at least play for two every day.

I like too much stuff, I do love blues and classic rock but I played in speed metal bands, pop stuff, jazz, garage rock, I pretty much studied to be a lead guitarist that could cover lots of ground. Which has`nt helped my personal songwriting at all.

What do I want to improve? I`m not sure- my vocabulary I would like to incorporate more modes and cord structures but in a useful way.

Current events?- Band, Studio work.

Too much gear to name at this time, but my moniker says it all.

Taught myself how to edit video yesterday- smile.gif

+Quote Post
srpanopticon
Apr 25 2014, 01:35 AM
Hey Cosmin, new to the site, so apologies if the below opportunity has closed. In any event, thought I'd answer and give it a shot.

How long have you been playing the guitar? 6 years

* What do you feel your current level is? Intermediate

* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far? I understand major modes, triad construction, 7th chords, circle of 5ths/4ths.

* How much time/day can you spend practicing? 1-2 hours.

* What are your favorite techniques? Alternate picking, economy picking, sweep picking, legato

* What would you like to improve? Picking & legato.
I'm retooling my picking technique after having seen some videos here (esp. the picking ones by Darius and Ben). Specifically, trying to correct my wrist angle to get more of a rotation going instead of a straight up and down. I'm also trying to ease my palm off the bridge, trying instead to graze the strings for muting instead of planting my palm, which has been causing tension. I'm also an economy picker, but would like to re-build my alternate picking in conjunction with the economy.

* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)? Home.

* What gear do you own?
Amps: (a) Divided by 13 JRT 9/15; (cool.gif Mesa Boogie 3 channel Dual Rectifier (modded by Voodoo Amps)
Rack: Just got rid of my TC Electronic G System (didn't use many of the effects). Now just have pedals running through an effects loop on my Mesa via an RJM RG 16 (function and amp switcher). Also have a BBE Sonic Maximizer 2 channel rack unit.
Pedals: (a) Dunlop Wah (Slash verison); (cool.gif ISP Decimator (noise suppression); ( c) Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay (pcb version); (d) Rockett Clean Boost (original model); (e) Rockett Afterburner (overdrive, original mode); (f) Holy Grail reverb; (g) Jacques Overtube (overdrive); (h) EVH Phase 90; (i) Smooth n' Slim (tone shaper); (j) Lehle Little Dual (amp switcher); (k) RJM Mastermind (foot controller)

- Jeff Loomis
- Andy Timmons
- Jason Becker
- Muhammed Suicmez
- Tony Macalpine
- Joe Bonamassa

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2013, 10:54 AM) *
At times, most people encounter these types of problems when learning to play guitar:

- You feel lost because you have started practicing too many things at once and you are nowhere near your desired goal...

We want to help you get on the right track as soon as possible - and for this reason I am offering you a unique opportunity to set up a personalized lesson plan.

Please just answer the questions below, either in this topic or via private message. I will then set you up with a practice regimen consisting of GMC materials, that can cover a week of practice towards your desired goal.

* What gear do you own?

If you can provide audio/ video materials of your playing, it would be very helpful.

I will try to get back to you as soon as possible, hopefully today already - depending on the amount of applications.

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Apr 25 2014, 10:34 AM
Hi Cosmin,

I think that my alternate picking needs serious practice like Todd pointed out after watching one of my vids. I tend to play mostly downstrokes. I want to work on this first before doing others lessons. I think I will focus only on alternate picking the next few days. I will leave the other lessons and get back to wintertune after seriously practicing my alternate picking.

I think alternate picking workout #1 by Darius is a good one to start with? What are your thoughts?

Thanks Cosmin

This post has been edited by Jeroen: Apr 25 2014, 10:35 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Capasso2300
Apr 25 2014, 03:40 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2013, 12:54 PM) *

* What gear do you own?

Cosmin

Hey Cosmin, great idea, and look forward to the feedback.

Been playing about 10 years
I'm in between an intermediate and advanced player
My theory is pretty solid. Know all the chords, the notes, modes. Once you get to jazz tho, i'm lost.
At least an hour a day, maybe 2
I love all the techniques really, mostly emotional tasty solos
I really want to improve my alternate picking speed and precision
I play out in a local cover band
I have a pedal board, couple amps, not much in the vein of home recording tho
John Frusciante, Slash, Clapton, Marty Friedman, Steve Lukather

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 25 2014, 04:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 25 2014, 09:34 AM) *
Hi Cosmin,

I think that my alternate picking needs serious practice like Todd pointed out after watching one of my vids. I tend to play mostly downstrokes. I want to work on this first before doing others lessons. I think I will focus only on alternate picking the next few days. I will leave the other lessons and get back to wintertune after seriously practicing my alternate picking.

I think alternate picking workout #1 by Darius is a good one to start with? What are your thoughts?

Thanks Cosmin

Hey Jeroen - I think I already recommended you to begin with Ben's lesson on alternate picking as it's a tad easier than Darius'. You can try this one after you get Ben's done. They are both great, but for a true AP beginner, Ben's is the right one to start with and then Darius' smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

QUOTE (Capasso2300 @ Apr 25 2014, 02:40 PM) *
Hey Cosmin, great idea, and look forward to the feedback.

Been playing about 10 years
I'm in between an intermediate and advanced player
My theory is pretty solid. Know all the chords, the notes, modes. Once you get to jazz tho, i'm lost.
At least an hour a day, maybe 2
I love all the techniques really, mostly emotional tasty solos
I really want to improve my alternate picking speed and precision
I play out in a local cover band
I have a pedal board, couple amps, not much in the vein of home recording tho
John Frusciante, Slash, Clapton, Marty Friedman, Steve Lukather

Hey bro! Thanks for answering the questions smile.gif I will treat you with a lesson which has become popular here at GMC, based on your preferences and your time - please follow my suggestions bellow for the following lesson smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Vo...Of-Your-Guitar/

- understand the theoretical concepts - know what and why you are playing!
- learn the lesson structure - things will flow naturally once you know what's next when playing any piece
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome - you will learn the lesson and become accustomed with the timing and feel
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track - respecting timing and phrasing will provide essential advantages when you will face the details of any piece!
- work your way up tempo with the available backing tracks

Day 1-5:

Based on the fact that you have between one and two hours a day, I think that the lesson above is pretty much a sufficient load to handle this week, so please follow the steps indicated in order to understand, learn and perform it as best as possible.

Day 6-7 - Revision (you practice the lesson, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play it) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details! Recording - it's not mandatory but it can help A TON - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned out of this lesson smile.gif

How does it sound to you mate?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Apr 25 2014, 04:14 PM
Thanks Cosmin, I will follow your advice and keep you updated on my progress.

I think my main 3 goals are:

Improve alternate picking
Improve on string bending
Improve vibrato

This post has been edited by Jeroen: Apr 25 2014, 04:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 25 2014, 04:51 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! The opportunity is always open smile.gif

So, based on the time that you have and on what you wish to improve, I suggest we begin with one lesson/week and if everything goes along well, we can push things with maybe two/week. I have thought about the following lesson:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...cking_beginner/

Now, if you like the combo of legato and alternate picking, I would also like you to follow the next set of suggestions which work pretty well as a thorough routine which is meant to offer maximum insight on anything you would learn:

- learn the lesson structure - things will flow naturally once you know what's next when playing any piece
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome - you will learn the lesson and become accustomed with the timing and feel
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track - respecting timing and phrasing will provide essential advantages when you will face the details of any piece!

Day 1-5:

Based on the fact that you have between one and two hours a day, I think that the lesson above is pretty much a sufficient load to handle this week, so please follow the steps indicated in order to understand, learn and perform it as best as possible.

Day 6-7 - Revision (you practice the lesson, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play it) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details! Recording - it's not mandatory but it can help A TON - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned out of this lesson!

Let me know what you think about all these ideas, ok?

Cosmin

QUOTE (srpanopticon @ Apr 25 2014, 12:35 AM) *
Hey Cosmin, new to the site, so apologies if the below opportunity has closed. In any event, thought I'd answer and give it a shot.

How long have you been playing the guitar? 6 years

* What do you feel your current level is? Intermediate

* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far? I understand major modes, triad construction, 7th chords, circle of 5ths/4ths.

* How much time/day can you spend practicing? 1-2 hours.

* What are your favorite techniques? Alternate picking, economy picking, sweep picking, legato

* What would you like to improve? Picking & legato.
I'm retooling my picking technique after having seen some videos here (esp. the picking ones by Darius and Ben). Specifically, trying to correct my wrist angle to get more of a rotation going instead of a straight up and down. I'm also trying to ease my palm off the bridge, trying instead to graze the strings for muting instead of planting my palm, which has been causing tension. I'm also an economy picker, but would like to re-build my alternate picking in conjunction with the economy.

* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)? Home.

* What gear do you own?
Amps: (a) Divided by 13 JRT 9/15; (cool.gif Mesa Boogie 3 channel Dual Rectifier (modded by Voodoo Amps)
Rack: Just got rid of my TC Electronic G System (didn't use many of the effects). Now just have pedals running through an effects loop on my Mesa via an RJM RG 16 (function and amp switcher). Also have a BBE Sonic Maximizer 2 channel rack unit.
Pedals: (a) Dunlop Wah (Slash verison); (cool.gif ISP Decimator (noise suppression); ( c) Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay (pcb version); (d) Rockett Clean Boost (original model); (e) Rockett Afterburner (overdrive, original mode); (f) Holy Grail reverb; (g) Jacques Overtube (overdrive); (h) EVH Phase 90; (i) Smooth n' Slim (tone shaper); (j) Lehle Little Dual (amp switcher); (k) RJM Mastermind (foot controller)

- Jeff Loomis
- Andy Timmons
- Jason Becker
- Muhammed Suicmez
- Tony Macalpine
- Joe Bonamassa

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 25 2014, 03:14 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin, I will follow your advice and keep you updated on my progress.

I think my main 3 goals are:

Improve alternate picking
Improve on string bending
Improve vibrato

Focus on Ben's lesson to begin with and we'll see afterwards, ok?

+Quote Post
Capasso2300
Apr 25 2014, 04:57 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 25 2014, 05:12 PM) *
Hey Jeroen - I think I already recommended you to begin with Ben's lesson on alternate picking as it's a tad easier than Darius'. You can try this one after you get Ben's done. They are both great, but for a true AP beginner, Ben's is the right one to start with and then Darius' smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

Hey bro! Thanks for answering the questions smile.gif I will treat you with a lesson which has become popular here at GMC, based on your preferences and your time - please follow my suggestions bellow for the following lesson smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Vo...Of-Your-Guitar/

Day 1-5:

Day 6-7 - Revision (you practice the lesson, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play it) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details! Recording - it's not mandatory but it can help A TON - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned out of this lesson smile.gif

How does it sound to you mate?

Cosmin

thanks for taking the time to work this out cosmin.......God i hate how this auto-spell is always trying to change your name to COSMIC. LOL I"ll get cracking on the lesson asap.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 25 2014, 04:58 PM
Instructor
Hey man smile.gif

Well, you sound like a dude that already has a lot of experience and wishes to expand on vocabulary and pretty much, improve his expression and phrasing. In respect to that, I would say we should tackle each mode at a time and after learning a specific lesson, you should develop the concepts in there in order to make them sound like you on the backing track of that lesson smile.gif

In order to begin with, I will choose the Ionian mode and for that - how about this lesson?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/major-soloing-no-4th/

I am not necessarily interested in throwing technically complicated lessons your way, but lessons based on a certain concept, which you should learn and then apply with your personal touch as an addition smile.gif What do you think about the idea? A sa starting guide, I usually suggest the approach bellow. I think that if you dedicate 2 hours a day of your practice time to this idea, it will surely help you reach nnew levels of understanding your own power smile.gif

Day 1-5:

Day 6-7 - Revision (you practice the lesson, assuming you that you already know the structure and you can play it) - focus on timing, definition, clean playing, articulations and details! Recording - it's not mandatory but it can help A TON - and writing conclusions so that we may draw a line and see what have you learned out of this lesson!

What do you think?

Cosmin

QUOTE (Britishampfan @ Apr 24 2014, 05:31 PM) *
I started out as a classically trained pianist at the age of 9. My parents said you are going to play music and we had a piano in the house sooooo that`s where it all began. I had to do the old black tie on stage alone on the grand piano in a huge auditorium full of people. But no pressure right. hahaha oh man I used to feel like i`d pass out I was so uncomfortable. But yeah playing live in a band is way easier than the solo performance show.

At the age of 15 I found my moms old acoustic guitar and started trying to play, classical music was a bit unfulfilling for me and I loved classic rock. One day the song Limelight from RUSH was on the radio and I just started playing it with the radio, the opening riff the cords, it`s as if my hands knew what to do. The lightbulb went ON------ I can actually play whats on the radio because I did`nt think it was possible to do that for anyone, it was like mere mortals cannot play as good as whats on the radio. I was so happy.

Quit piano, started guitar and now its over 20 years later......

Skill level ??? I have no idea, I have been paid to play live and in the studio and many big shows been very lucky.
My first big accomplishment was learning Adrain Smiths guitar part note for note on the Iron Maiden Live after death album when I was a teen. I used to play along with the album and freak my friends out.

What do I know? I have been exposed to a lot but I seem to only retain what I use the most and much of the music theory, modes and altered scales I don`t really like the sound of so I don`t use it much. Major, Relative minor and some modes makes up the bulk of what I use and remember.

I practice up to 6 hours a day if I need to but I try to at least play for two every day.

I like too much stuff, I do love blues and classic rock but I played in speed metal bands, pop stuff, jazz, garage rock, I pretty much studied to be a lead guitarist that could cover lots of ground. Which has`nt helped my personal songwriting at all.

What do I want to improve? I`m not sure- my vocabulary I would like to incorporate more modes and cord structures but in a useful way.

Current events?- Band, Studio work.

Too much gear to name at this time, but my moniker says it all.

Taught myself how to edit video yesterday- smile.gif

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Apr 25 2014, 11:02 PM
OK Cosmin, I`m in! Sometimes going back to the basics I can always find something to use or maybe something I was never exposed to.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 26 2014, 08:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Britishampfan @ Apr 25 2014, 10:02 PM) *
OK Cosmin, I`m in! Sometimes going back to the basics I can always find something to use or maybe something I was never exposed to.

You have no clue how many times I've gone back to some things and always discovered something new smile.gif The more we grow, the more we see into things which seemed pretty much obviously clear at a previous point in our lives smile.gif Let me know how it goes, ok?

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:43 AM