2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Playing Outside In Cold,winter Time?, Any experiences?
Muris Varajic
Feb 17 2008, 10:01 AM
Instructor
Have you done it before,how it affected your playing,gear etc?

I'm talking about really "cold" situations,even down to 0 °C/32 °F (or lower blink.gif )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 17 2008, 10:29 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Ouch - i have no live experiences bar one, and that was warm. I'd love to see mojo oro at 0°C- i think my fingers would fall off playing power chords at that temperature unsure.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
wrk
Feb 17 2008, 11:03 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I always had this question as well ... how professionals keep their hands warm. On festivals for example...

During winter time like now i have the problem to keep my apartment in good temperature, so i often have cold hands while practicing and its kind of disturbing. I regularly put them in warm water. After it's ok for around 30 minutes, but i think it's not a good habit, especially when i practice bending stuff ... i easily loose the skin on my fingertips (calluses?) and it starts to be painful.

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Feb 17 2008, 11:09 AM
GMC:er
I don't have any experience, but my friends band was shooting a video to one of their songs and must have been like -15 degrees cold outside and they shoot it at a frozen lake and it was a very windy day. They had to take breaks like every fifteen minutes, because it was so damn cold, fortunately we had some hot choco with us, so we could keep the lads warm biggrin.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 17 2008, 11:13 AM
Singing Instructor
I have a question to...how the wether effect the strings on a guitar...couse I knowe that my gutarist had problem with pich when it is cold

This post has been edited by Nemanja: Feb 17 2008, 11:14 AM

--------------------

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 17 2008, 11:21 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Feb 17 2008, 11:13 AM) *
I have a question to...how the wether effect the strings on a guitar...couse I knowe that my gutarist had problem with pich when it is cold

A guitar should be kept in the same temperature as much as possible. String go from short (when cold) to long (when warm). So tune a cold guitar and will run flat when the the strings get warm. All the metal on the guitar is affected by the temperature. Actualy, so does the wood in the guitar but not to the extent of metal.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 17 2008, 11:26 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 17 2008, 10:01 AM) *
Have you done it before,how it affected your playing,gear etc?

I'm talking about really "cold" situations,even down to 0 °C/32 °F (or lower blink.gif )

Oh I could not do it without a heating fan. My fingers run stiff at the slightest cold.

About the gear, the guitar can stay in tune if the temperature is the same. So make sure it stays in that environment 30-60 minutes before the gig and that it's tuned after it reaches the surrounding temperature. ...or just get a Gibson Robot guitar wink.gif

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Feb 17 2008, 11:36 AM
Instructor
I've played many times during festival in winter time, It's a pain in the Axe biggrin.gif but never so cold like 0°c

Check the manuals of your gear, some of them especially electronics one...may not work at 0° C, if I remember well my G-Major stuck once, but gear apart...how can your hands move with so cold temperature? I mean you will wear gloves? or at least you have to get drunk biggrin.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 17 2008, 12:57 PM
Instructor
Here's my experience ,the worst one. biggrin.gif

I played open air with Tifa(local rock star) and it was around 0C,really blink.gif .
Now,chops aren't so complicate so I managed that part somehow.
But gear suffered the most,as the whole band. biggrin.gif

I had Rocktron Voodoo at that time,controlled by Midi Mate.
Everything was like slow motion...
Solo is coming...I'm pressing button on MidiMate...turn around to see Voodoo...
display is melting names of sounds... it's working slow,tooo slow...and so I miss almost 2 bars of solo laugh.gif unsure.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Feb 17 2008, 02:14 PM
Instructor
Yes that what I mean, digital stuff doesn't work well at all

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 17 2008, 03:15 PM
Instructor
Don't know about so cold weather, played in some cold environments but 0C is cold as hell. Maybe the light on stage and adrenaline can reduce the coldness, but as for gear, didn't use processors ever. I guess they do behave badly in those situations, on all digital equipment says that it shouldn't be used in cold or high humidity environments 0-40C

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 17 2008, 03:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well my hand get cold before gigs that are in much warmer environment..They eventually during show warm up a little..But when I start playing with cold hand not only that I'm slow on playing but also loose the feeling in my right hand when slapping for example so I don't actually feel what I'm playing..Its really a bad feeling..I guess I could not properly play at 0C weather.. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 17 2008, 03:28 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Feb 17 2008, 04:15 PM
Well I do have some experience about it... I never played live for more than 10 friends at 0-2 C, but I practice in my garage 99% of the time and now as it is winter the temperature is 0-5 C depending on how cold it is outside. I wear a long sleeve, but on my picking hand I usually roll the sleeve all the way up to my shoulders and I manage to play just as good in there as in somewhere warm. Some people have said though that I can handle cold a lot better than many, and it's true.

I don't know why but my picking hand handles cold soooo much better than the fretting hand, does anybody else have the same experience?

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 17 2008, 04:53 PM
QUOTE (Tuubsu @ Feb 17 2008, 04:15 PM) *
Well I do have some experience about it... I never played live for more than 10 friends at 0-2 C, but I practice in my garage 99% of the time and now as it is winter the temperature is 0-5 C depending on how cold it is outside. I wear a long sleeve, but on my picking hand I usually roll the sleeve all the way up to my shoulders and I manage to play just as good in there as in somewhere warm. Some people have said though that I can handle cold a lot better than many, and it's true.

I don't know why but my picking hand handles cold soooo much better than the fretting hand, does anybody else have the same experience?

For me its opposite regarding hands..
Its interesting that you practice in that temperature, I can't imagine it..I would be shacking all over the place not being able to play smile.gif But you being from Finland sure adds a little to your immunity to cold weather. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 18 2008, 12:37 AM
Instructor
cold problems here too. No matter how much I warm up, those 5 minutes needed to go to stage, plugin and tune are just enough to get my hands cold again, at least for the first song sad.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
erik
Feb 18 2008, 01:17 AM
If your fingers are cold, then your'e not playing fast enough laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Staples
Feb 18 2008, 01:28 AM
I haven't tried this with guitar but being military I've been in a few pretty cold outdoor places. At some hunting shops and things like that you can find little hand warmers, like .79 cents and they warm when exposed to air. They're kind of like little bean bags, about 1/4 inch high and 2 inches wide. Maybe in the case of guitar since you can't constantly hold onto those, tuck them just under the end of your sleeve on both sides of the wrist, or maybe wear a wrist band and tuck them in there. At least keep that area warm, and will warm the blood flowing through your hands to some extent. Little complicated but might work.

This post has been edited by Staples: Feb 18 2008, 01:38 AM

--------------------
Times New Roman

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 18 2008, 02:01 AM
QUOTE (Staples @ Feb 18 2008, 01:28 AM) *
I haven't tried this with guitar but being military I've been in a few pretty cold outdoor places. At some hunting shops and things like that you can find little hand warmers, like .79 cents and they warm when exposed to air. They're kind of like little bean bags, about 1/4 inch high and 2 inches wide. Maybe in the case of guitar since you can't constantly hold onto those, tuck them just under the end of your sleeve on both sides of the wrist, or maybe wear a wrist band and tuck them in there. At least keep that area warm, and will warm the blood flowing through your hands to some extent. Little complicated but might work.

Wow thats very interesting advice !!! I like the idea of holding it under the wrist band..Can you give me a google link to some shop or something to check them out.. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staples
Feb 18 2008, 02:42 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 18 2008, 10:01 AM) *
Wow thats very interesting advice !!! I like the idea of holding it under the wrist band..Can you give me a google link to some shop or something to check them out.. smile.gif

I can't find the exact ones I used but these are similar.
http://www.warmers.com/
Or just type in hand warmers in google. You'll find a bunch of different things similar to this. Hope it helps.

--------------------
Times New Roman

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 18 2008, 11:06 AM
Instructor
It usually comes when management isn't taking care of musicians. dry.gif

Most of the time those are huge gigs,couple of thousands in audience
and all they give to us is some small heating device so we run around it like butterflies laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:36 AM