> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Nicoweb's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 27 2020, 04:18 AM
Instructor
Hi Nico!

Great! I'll grade your takes at REC.

This new vids are promising. There is still obvious work to do with those arpeggios to make them sound more consistent, and reach the normal tempo but I think that you are on the right track.

Muse lesson is really close. You just need to focus a bit more on timing since you tend to rush the riffs a bit. One thing that I noted (and this comment is valid for Arpeggios lesson) is that you are totally quiet while playing the lessons. I recommend you to add some body movement following the track's groove. This will really help you to make your timing a lot better.

Notice how Victor dances while playing... and how this is reflected in his playing groove and dynamics:

https://youtu.be/eynnYLXW3Fo

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nicoweb
Apr 27 2020, 08:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Gab,

Thanks for your feedbacks (the other instructors and you). They are really constructive.

- For Picking Hand Basics, I will continue to practice this one with slowly tempo and increase it. I also noticed the small accent on the first time, it will come smile.gif

- For Jumping Around, the vibrato, yes not so easy to have a great vibrato, maybe starting this lesson should be great : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ibrato-Workout/

- For Slow Pentatonics: the timing, groove (also applicable for the other lessons). Yes this point is important too. I have a little problem when I have to record for a REC, I suddenly become a lot more stressed and I make lots of mistakes that I never did. I will work on this point too, thanks.

For my daily practice routine:
- warming up (20/30min):
- Picking Hand Basic (starting in a slow tempo and increase it)
- Beginner Guitar Boogie
- Gary Clarke Jr Style
- Slow Pentatonics
- Jumping Around

- exercises:
- Major Arpeggios Exercises
- Muse Goes Stoner
- Triad (new): https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_1/
- Vibrato (new): https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ibrato-Workout/
- Improvising on E7 chord

What do you think about the daily routine?

About improvisation, you ask me to improvise with E min pentatonic and E major pentatonic scales? I don't really understand why I can use E min scale on a E7 chord. There is not a problem with the minor third?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by nicoweb: Apr 27 2020, 12:54 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 29 2020, 04:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Nico!

Your routine looks GREAT! Let's go for it and keep me updated.

QUOTE (nicoweb @ Apr 27 2020, 04:32 AM) *
- For Slow Pentatonics: the timing, groove (also applicable for the other lessons). Yes this point is important too. I have a little problem when I have to record for a REC, I suddenly become a lot more stressed and I make lots of mistakes that I never did. I will work on this point too, thanks.

Yes, that REC light syndrome is very common and the only way to fight with it is practicing. The more you record yourself, the more comfortable you'll feel.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 29 2020, 05:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (nicoweb @ Apr 27 2020, 04:32 AM) *
About improvisation, you ask me to improvise with E min pentatonic and E major pentatonic scales? I don't really understand why I can use E min scale on a E7 chord. There is not a problem with the minor third?

This question really makes sense. Dominant (7th) chords is composed of a root, major 3rd, perfect 5th and minor 7th. The obvious choice to improvise over them is Major Pentatonic and off course Dominant arpeggios.

However, there are many other options for this chord and one of the most common is Minor Pentatonic (or blues scale if you add b5). Why? The best answer is that is sounds well! If something sounds good, it's ok! Try it and let me know what you think.

In theory, a minor third shouldn't sound good over a chord that contains a Major third, but Dominant chords are the sound of blues, and we are used to hear a minor third sounding over a 7th chord, and in many cases to hear a bend from minor third to major third. Also, Minor Pentatonic scale includes the root, fifth and the minor 7th which are great chord tones.

Please let me know if you understand this and if you have any more questions.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
nicoweb
Apr 29 2020, 10:02 PM
In theory, a minor third shouldn't sound good over a chord that contains a Major third, but Dominant chords are the sound of blues, and we are used to hear a minor third sounding over a 7th chord, and in many cases to hear a bend from minor third to major third. Also, Minor Pentatonic scale includes the root, fifth and the minor 7th which are great chord tones.

So, if I understand (not sure smile.gif), the minor third create a tension and can be resolved by the major third (it's a passing note)?

I just submit 2 new RECs, Muse Goes Stone and Triads in Major Scale Series - Part 1.
I'm going to start part 2 of triads (1st inversion).

For the arpeggios lesson, I think it's better but when I increase the tempo, I'm more contracted, I work on it.

I would have your opinion on my practice routine for the arpeggios lesson:
Currently, I start at 25% of the tempo on 2 bars. I increase the tempo by 2% and finish at 100%. Then I start another 2 bars.
I do like that every day, but I'm not sure it's the better way. Starting at 25% is very slow. At the beginning, it was great, but I have the impression is too slow now and it takes me about 50 minutes to finish the lesson.

Do you think it would be better to start at maybe 40% or 50% of the tempo now?
How would you do to practice on a lesson like this one?

Another point: I start since yesterday my practice with the exercise of warming up https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Warming-up-with-Lian/ and some chromatic.
I just found this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Warmin...inger-Fitness/., maybe it is more complete?

This post has been edited by nicoweb: May 1 2020, 04:00 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 1 2020, 11:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Nico!

QUOTE (nicoweb @ Apr 29 2020, 06:02 PM) *
So, if I understand (not sure smile.gif), the minor third create a tension and can be resolved by the major third (it's a passing note)?

Yeah! That's a good way to see it. However you don't have to always resolve to the major third, you can try other combinations. Experiment, listen, and learn blues licks to see how the great masters use this.

This lesson is great: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/30-Beg...er-Blues-Licks/

And it combines both scales over a dominant blues progression.

For the arpeggios lesson, I think it's better but when I increase the tempo, I'm more contracted, I work on it.

I would have your opinion on my practice routine for the arpeggios lesson:
Currently, I start at 25% of the tempo on 2 bars. I increase the tempo by 2% and finish at 100%. Then I start another 2 bars.
I do like that every day, but I'm not sure it's the better way. Starting at 25% is very slow. At the beginning, it was great, but I have the impression is too slow now and it takes me about 50 minutes to finish the lesson.

Do you think it would be better to start at maybe 40% or 50% of the tempo now?
How would you do to practice on a lesson like this one?

If you are now comfortable starting at 40%, go for it. It doesn't make sense to start extremely slow if you are at a higher level. Do you also practice more than 2 bars? Maybe combining the first 2 and the following 2 ones?

Another point: I start since yesterday my practice with the exercise of warming up https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Warming-up-with-Lian/ and some chromatic.
I just found this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Warmin...inger-Fitness/., maybe it is more complete?

Yeah! That's a cool lesson. Go for it if it's more inspiring for you. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
nicoweb
May 3 2020, 02:08 AM
Hi Gab,

thanks for the link to the lesson Blues licks, I will start practice on this lesson soon.

I was looking on the net for a programmable metronome with the possibility to increase the tempo by 1bpm every minutes for example. Impossible to find it. I had to create my small custom tool smile.gif :

Programmable Metronome by Nicolas Lefevre, sur Flickr

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 3 2020, 09:32 PM
Instructor
Cool tool!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
nicoweb
May 4 2020, 08:54 PM
just added a new REC: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=60946

This one was difficult for me (and it is not perfect smile.gif ) I have to continue to practice (warming up). And maybe try to add some arpeggios in improvisation.

Currently, I practice on this lessons:
- https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rhythm-Figures-Workout/ (almost finished)
- https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triads..._Series_Part_2/ (almost finished)
- https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-2/ (just started)

When the first two will be completed, I will enter in the blues universe:
- https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/30-Beg...er-Blues-Riffs/
- https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/30-Beg...er-Blues-Licks/

I also found this series: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/improv...ios_exercise_1/
and https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-scale-triads/
these lessons could be interesting to better visualize the shapes and notes

This post has been edited by nicoweb: May 5 2020, 09:26 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 5 2020, 07:43 PM
Instructor
REC take commented and graded!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
nicoweb
May 13 2020, 12:58 PM
Hi Gab,

just a quick update, to tell you I still working on my lessons in progress. I had a lot of good feedbacks (like always smile.gif) in my previous RECs, so I tried to improve this points too.

I'm not yet comfortable on improvisation in E7 with Em and E major pentatonic too, so I keep work on it too.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 13 2020, 02:41 PM
Instructor
Great! Thanks for the update! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
nicoweb
May 17 2020, 07:53 PM
Hi Gab,

I continue to improvise on the backing track E7.

So in this chord, I can use E7 arpeggio, E major pentatonic and E blues scales, if I understood.

- E7 arpeggio: E, G#, B, D
- E major penta: E F#, G#, B, C#
- E blues: E, G, A, A#, B, D

Does that mean I can use any of these notes in my improvisation?
E, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C#, D

Or I have to stay in a scale and change from time to time?

Sorry, I really don't understand how to mix all scales.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 17 2020, 08:56 PM
Instructor
Hi Nico!

Yes, you can use all those notes, but each scale (or arpeggio) will provide different colors and feelings (that's the most amazing thing of improvisation). Before trying to mix scales, you need to get used with the sound of each scale, so my recommendation is that you dedicate some time improvising over the backing using one scale at a time. That E7 vamp can become boring to maybe you can try using different backings to vary tempo, rhythm and overall sound.

Then, the possibilities are endless, but first I would like to hear 3 jams from you, one with Penatonic Major, other with Pentatonic minor and one with E7 arpeggio.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
nicoweb
May 18 2020, 07:15 PM
Hi Gab,

ok for the jams, in progress smile.gif.

I just published a REC: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=60973

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 19 2020, 06:34 PM
Instructor
Commented and graded!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
nicoweb
Oct 26 2022, 06:38 AM
Hi Gabriel,
I would like to practice the guitar regularly again, would you still be available as an instructor?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 26 2022, 04:30 PM
Instructor
Hello Nico! Glad to see you're back. I'm not offering any personal mentoring here at the moment.

Sorry about that.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
nicoweb
Oct 26 2022, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 26 2022, 04:30 PM) *
Hello Nico! Glad to see you're back. I'm not offering any personal mentoring here at the moment.

Sorry about that.

ok, no worry. I hope everything is good for you.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:37 PM