2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Where Were You When.....
Ben Higgins
Oct 10 2012, 09:29 AM
Instructor
... you first heard Surfing With The Alien ?

I was probably around 11 or 12 years old. I was in the back of a car and I saw the tape. I had read about it being a classic so I asked if we could put it on. The title track blasted out and I heard guitar playing like I'd never heard before !! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wollace03
Oct 10 2012, 09:58 AM
GMC:er
I discovered sufin wiht the alien about 15 years ago and to be honest - it didn´t catch me that much...
I had the same feeling of excitement and astonishment you described when I bought "Passion and Warfare" by Steve Vai and when I saw Yngwie malmsteen on MTV for the first time...but this all happened in the 80ies when I was a teenager...
so listening to surfin with the alien in the end of the 90ies wasn´t that new or exciting for me....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 10 2012, 10:13 AM
"Crushing day " was the intro tune of Famous Metal show in former Yugoslavia, "Metalmania" , i've heard it when i was 8/9 years, but didn't knew what it was actually

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 10 2012, 10:30 AM
Learning Roadie
I don't remember when I first heard Surfing, but I do remember being 17 and visiting a scouse girl I met on holiday for a weekend, and her brother heard I played guitar and gave me a copy of Flying a blue dream. Even though I'd been playing guitar for years I'd never heard of Satch or Steve Vai etc, I'd only had an electric guitar for a year or so, and hadn't started buying Guitarist Magazing at that point.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Oct 10 2012, 07:51 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
I was about 21 I think , cruising around with some friends and Satch Boogie came on the radio. I was counting the days to the release of this album and bought it the first day it was on sale.Shortly after that I went out and bought this tab book that I still have and also got to see Satch play at a small venue in Anchorage, probably around a thousand people in attendance and there was not a bad seat in the house,It was kind of like a seminar and every musician in town that was'nt working that night was at that show. cool.gif Definately one of the best shows I have ever seen.I still have a ratty old T-shirt from that concert. biggrin.gif

[attachment=29176:IMG_0209.jpg]

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 10 2012, 09:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 10 2012, 07:51 PM) *
I was about 21 I think , cruising around with some friends and Satch Boogie came on the radio. I was counting the days to the release of this album and bought it the first day it was on sale.Shortly after that I went out and bought this tab book that I still have and also got to see Satch play at a small venue in Anchorage, probably around a thousand people in attendance and there was not a bad seat in the house,It was kind of like a seminar and every musician in town that was'nt working that night was at that show. cool.gif Definately one of the best shows I have ever seen.I still have a ratty old T-shirt from that concert. biggrin.gif

Oh wow, now that is guitar history !! Awesome cool.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 12 2012, 02:59 AM
Instructor
I was planning on becoming a guitar player and a friend of mine suggested to listen to Satriani I remember we were going to the country with my family and we put the tape in I was like "WOW this is crazy!" everything about his playing was amazing and I was blown away! The same day I started transcribing "Always with me always with you" and only could get the first part of it
Great record!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 12 2012, 09:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 12 2012, 02:59 AM) *
I was planning on becoming a guitar player and a friend of mine suggested to listen to Satriani I remember we were going to the country with my family and we put the tape in I was like "WOW this is crazy!" everything about his playing was amazing and I was blown away! The same day I started transcribing "Always with me always with you" and only could get the first part of it
Great record!

Great story, thanks for sharing ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 12 2012, 10:22 AM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 10 2012, 08:51 PM) *

Now yuo Only NEED a Surfing Record, and a pick from that time rolleyes.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 12 2012, 12:25 PM
Instructor
Pfff, back in 87' I was too small for anything guitar related... sad.gif Oh well, I caught up later laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 12 2012, 12:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 12 2012, 12:25 PM) *
Pfff, back in 87' I was too small for anything guitar related... sad.gif Oh well, I caught up later laugh.gif

It's ok, Cos-Master.. the thread is asking where were you when you first heard the album, not where were you when it was released smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 12 2012, 01:11 PM
Instructor
Oh yes, got that, but I felt a little too young reading all the cool stories, that's all tongue.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Oct 13 2012, 01:33 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Oct 12 2012, 01:22 AM) *
Now yuo Only NEED a Surfing Record, and a pick from that time rolleyes.gif wink.gif

Well I have the CD, maybe one of these would be in order tongue.gif
I don't know maybe that is going a bit too far, especially at the price I saw on one up here in AK.
[attachment=29189:JS20TH.jpg]

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2012, 07:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 13 2012, 12:33 AM) *
I don't know maybe that is going a bit too far, especially at the price I saw on one up here in AK.

Uh oh, how much is this baby over there? I remember seeing it on www.thomann.de at a pretty fair price, although I don't remember the price laugh.gif I just know it wasn't such a wallet breaker.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 13 2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 13 2012, 01:33 AM) *

Oh that is pretty sweet !! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Oct 13 2012, 12:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
i think it was around 1989/90 - a barbecue outside my hometown with some friends and talking about old times .

That time i been already a Oldy laugh.gif

Music became faster that time .

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 13 2012, 12:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I should probably listen to this album mellow.gif
Ive heard a few tracks from it but not all of it. Dunno why because it has the silver surfer on the cover and he's my hero biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Oct 13 2012, 07:48 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 12 2012, 10:46 PM) *
Uh oh, how much is this baby over there? I remember seeing it on www.thomann.de at a pretty fair price, although I don't remember the price laugh.gif I just know it wasn't such a wallet breaker.

I saw one at a local music store here in the valley that was in its own climate controlled display case, pretty sure it was around $1400 USD. I dont know, maybe there was something special about that particular guitar, signed by Satch or something maybe, I don't remember , But I have also seen some since that were definately at a much more reasonable price.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 13 2012, 09:24 PM
I was in my local Guitar Shop when a friend of ours came in and asked if he could put something on the Stereo. Dave (the owner) said 'Sure' and that's when I heard it for the first time, it had only been released the day before!!. I was 20 at the time.
smile.gif

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 13 2012, 01:33 AM) *

A friends shop over here has one for sale at the moment.
Bargain at £2699.00
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Oct 13 2012, 09:31 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2012, 07:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Oct 13 2012, 08:24 PM) *
I was in my local Guitar Shop when a friend of ours came in and asked if he could put something on the Stereo. Dave (the owner) said 'Sure' and that's when I heard it for the first time, it had only been released the day before!!. I was 20 at the time.
smile.gif

A friends shop over here has one for sale at the moment.
Bargain at £2699.00
biggrin.gif

Whoaaa! That's pretty expensive man! laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:51 PM