Alternate Pick Question, see title
guitarX
May 10 2010, 03:55 PM
GMC:er
when you start learning alternate picking and you must use the pick angle that means you should turn ur pick about 110 degrees right?
my problem is that is makes accent the first beat a lot harder
or do is miss the point here ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
May 10 2010, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't turn it that far. Turning the pick as if you were turning a key in a lock, say 45 degrees clockwise, has a few results:

1. it will change the tone of the attack (no impact on speed)
2. it will allow you to pick with less resistance (great impact on speed)
3. it may cause you to insert the pick less deeply below the strings (greater impact on speed)

As you have mentioned this with "start learning" then I don't think you need to reduce the resistance of the pick attack yet, since you should be starting out slowly. When you hit a barrier in tempo, that will be the time to adjust your pick angle and depth of insertion.

Also of note, accenting the first beat is sometimes quite a good thing to do. Some songs won't call for it but an alternate picking exercise that is PURE exercise? That accent will make it sound more like music and will end up being another type of good practice.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
guitarX
May 10 2010, 04:13 PM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ May 10 2010, 03:09 PM) *
I wouldn't turn it that far. Turning the pick as if you were turning a key in a lock, say 45 degrees clockwise, has a few results:

1. it will change the tone of the attack (no impact on speed)
2. it will allow you to pick with less resistance (great impact on speed)
3. it may cause you to insert the pick less deeply below the strings (greater impact on speed)

As you have mentioned this with "start learning" then I don't think you need to reduce the resistance of the pick attack yet, since you should be starting out slowly. When you hit a barrier in tempo, that will be the time to adjust your pick angle and depth of insertion.

Also of note, accenting the first beat is sometimes quite a good thing to do. Some songs won't call for it but an alternate picking exercise that is PURE exercise? That accent will make it sound more like music and will end up being another type of good practice.

ty for the info ye 110 was too much i misscalculated i think i held it on 80 degrees which i also too much hehe dry.gif
got still a long way to go biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 10 2010, 04:35 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I guess you are used to accenting that first beat which is quite cool IMO. As you practice you could try moving those accents to different positions, for example accenting every 2nd or 3rd beat. It will be a nice time and counting exercise then.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 10 2010, 04:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (guitarX @ May 10 2010, 03:55 PM) *
when you start learning alternate picking and you must use the pick angle that means you should turn ur pick about 110 degrees right?
my problem is that is makes accent the first beat a lot harder
or do is miss the point here ?

now one person holds the pick the same
I don't have any angle
You will have to experiment and as you will progress it will probably change
just as you try different types make sure you don't have alot of pain ,es. pain that persists after you have stopped playing

+Quote Post
guitarX
May 10 2010, 04:46 PM
ye acceting other beats of a bar would be good for my rythm too
i know everyone holds the pick a little different but i didnt quite understand the angle of a pick and accenting it that way but now i do

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 11 2010, 06:10 PM
Instructor
if you find it hard to accent any beat because of pick position maybe it's not a good position, because it doesn't have anything to do with the timing

you should be able to accent freely without thinking on that

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:34 PM