Do You Listen To Yourself?
thefireball
May 1 2010, 02:47 AM
Learning Roadie
Those of you who record yourself playing songs, or even compose your own, do you ever listen to yourself? Do you play those recordings of yourself over and over for enjoyment like you do albums by the pros? Or maybe if you are, in fact, a pro do you listen to yourself?

---My answer: Occasionally. I'm not that good to be listened to over and over, in my opinion. We are our worst critics, probably, but I still like to listen to my past accomplishments. I do, not just for enjoyment, but also to figure out how I may improve that particular piece.

What say you community? I'm curious.... wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by thefireball: May 12 2010, 03:55 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 1 2010, 03:46 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
ALL The time. I think I have finally reached the point where I can compose and record music to a quality that allows me to enjoy it like any other music, Albeit not as much. I make the music that I want to hear, so of course I listen to it. But like you said, I also listen to it to see where I can improve and advance.

I used to not listen to it that much, But once I got a pretty good handle on the whole recording/ mixing process (About 1.5 years) I liked to listen to it for enjoyment.

PS

I hate it though when I'm listening to a song I have spent days and weeks writing and recording, only to relax and listen to the final product, and hear a big mistake! laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gary
May 1 2010, 04:45 AM
GMC:er
I record lessons from GMC and listen to them all the time wink.gif .

The scenario with me is always the same.. I will get a lesson to a point where I believe it sounds good and then record it. I usually have to do a bunch of takes and then settle on one. I will bring it to work and give it to some friends. In the beginning I think it sounds good but after awhile I start to hear the problems.. timing issues.. pick scrapes and other miscellaneous blunders. I chalk this up to two things..1) I do not have a well developed ear, and 2) I am so anxious to complete a song that I do not spend the proper amount of time to really nail it. Listening to my recordings over and over does serve as a reminder to improve the next one. I only wish I could follow my own advice laugh.gif

Gary

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
May 1 2010, 06:06 AM
Listen to yourself is a great exercise to check if you're doing things right. I absolutly recommend to record yourself doing some exercise or lesson you're working on and listen if it's full clean and without mistakes

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 1 2010, 07:41 AM
Learning Tone Master
Well, I can listen to myself for enjoyment - but only if some time passed since I record the song.... When I'm into composing/recording I'm very critical (which in fact is bad, since I refuse takes that has a lot of emotion but some small mistakes), and I listen back to every single note as well as timing, sound and other issues. When Im done I usually got tired of the song, and dont listen to it for weeks/months. However, I use to be pretty satisfied after some years or so. (cause then I got the excuse, "Oh well, that was not SO bad, for playing that a loooong time ago... tongue.gif )
But I also think that every musician does small mistakes, and beeing too self-critical is bad for the creative process.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Darktime
May 1 2010, 11:58 AM
I choose a lesson and learn it as well as I can then I record it and put it aside (I date them) then three months later I record the same again and see if I have improved, I find it helps me make progress but I also record things for fun but seldom play them back, its never good enough!!!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 1 2010, 01:11 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I occasionally play my bands album and really enjoy listening to it. I also often listen to the new songs - both for enjoyment and to have an idea what could be done to make the song better etc... I am also forced to listen to some of the songs on radio and where I stumble on them- I don't mind it of course smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 1 2010, 01:11 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 1 2010, 04:40 PM
Instructor
there's something about listening to your own stuff,

I guess it's got to do with the ego, but hell, it feels good,

I'm not good at all to criticize myself, I need someone to listen and tell me, because I can rationalize everything and come up with excuses to leave everything intact, when there are plenty of other better to make a song

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 2 2010, 03:48 AM
Learning Roadie
Yes, it always feels great to see improvement and accomplishment.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 2 2010, 11:19 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
I listen to myself, and sometimes I even enjoy it laugh.gif I mean, when you created a song of your own you can be proud of it and should listen to it.
I remember Marcus saying that he's listening to the new BG album at the moment...still, would be cool to hear his opinion on this.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
superize
May 2 2010, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I often listen my own recordings and most of the time i like them less for every time i listen

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 2 2010, 12:04 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I have a CD in the car and I listen often. Helps to know the song inside out and to find out what can be changed in the mix.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 3 2010, 11:42 AM
Instructor
All the time! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 3 2010, 12:46 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
If you want to work on your skills, recording yourself and checking your own stuff is great, like this you can spot your own flaws, work on them and hear your improvement. About listening to my own albums... well, in the moment I am listening to the new one a lot, playing along, preparing myself for the upcoming rehearsals for our tour, but once we start touring none of us listens to our own cd's. Not because we don't like them (we love them wink.gif ) but if you play that stuff on stage every single day for the next 18 months then you don't really feel like listening to the very same songs late at night in the hotel wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 3 2010, 01:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I don't tend to record and listen to myself playing guitar much due to lack of time. What I do much more of is listen back to masters I've done and critically compare them against others. In many ways this is the same - critically listen to and evaluate what you do and so try and learn by it smile.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 3 2010, 03:44 PM
Jazz Instructor
I listen all the time, over and over and over...
I try to be very critical all the time, that way it can be useful.

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 3 2010, 05:11 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ May 3 2010, 06:46 AM) *
If you want to work on your skills, recording yourself and checking your own stuff is great, like this you can spot your own flaws, work on them and hear your improvement. About listening to my own albums... well, in the moment I am listening to the new one a lot, playing along, preparing myself for the upcoming rehearsals for our tour, but once we start touring none of us listens to our own cd's. Not because we don't like them (we love them wink.gif ) but if you play that stuff on stage every single day for the next 18 months then you don't really feel like listening to the very same songs late at night in the hotel wink.gif

yeah....I imagine!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 10 2010, 03:10 AM
Instructor
great GMC funnie on this thread!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:56 AM