Rec Program, Confused as to exactly how it works
FunktheBlues
Sep 20 2016, 07:41 AM
GMC:er
Hello new friends,

As some of you know, I was already a member of two other excellent online guitar instruction sites, but once I saw GMC, i knew immediately I was joining because of the heavy interaction with instructors. I am by no means a beginner having been a semi-pro & gigging for most of my life. I have been playing for 40 years and only started playing again to get my brain working after a terrible accident. Please read my other thread if you want to get a better understanding of what happened to me.

My Story

The REC program I absolutely love because for me personally, I need an accountability coach to make sure I do the assignment we both pick. I will start practicing and next thing I know I am sitting there just writing riffs which is still practicing but I did not finish what I started out to complete.

There are currently eight featured instructors. Are all eight part of the mentoring program because I thought I read somewhere it's just Gabe & Ben running the mentoring program. Is this correct? Or can you choose one of the 8 featured instructors?

Am I correct to assume that regardless of the person mentoring you, all the instructors give feedback regardless if you took one of their video courses or course from another instructor?. If that's the case, this site is the bomb.

If Gabe and Ben are the two mentoring instructors, what exactly does that mean? In other words, can I post a REC up anytime and get feedback or does that only go for people who have a mentor?

Again, sorry for the confusion, but does the mentoring program require a member in the program to meet deadlines and if not, what happens? If I have Gabe as a Mentor and wanted to learn classical, how would that work? Would Gabe assign me classical guitar assignments even though he is a rocker? Would the classical teacher respond to RECs?

Would a mentor allow me to choose the lessons from another instructor because I was more into learning style from a specific instructor?

I tried to find a place on this site that explains the mentoring a REC program in more detail before i posted the thread but wasn't successful. If there is a link to a place on this site that explains all the questions I have, be great if you could send it my way. I always say I would rather be playing than posting. I am going to practice for 1/2 and go to sleep. I finally finished learning a song that I started 30 years ago and can play it straight thru without any mistakes. Bourree by JS Bach. Then I launch into the blues in E and it flows so cool. i want to post a video of me playing and that is the last thing i need help with.

Do I just use my Imac, external mic & built in webcam? Do I use Iphone? What are the pros using on this site to upload the best quality videos for both audio & video? I was told the best thing to do is import a backing track into a DAW which I happen to have and love (Ableton) and jam along with the track and get a great mix that way. Any help in this area much appreciated.

Good Night

Cheers

BobbyD

Thanks everyone!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 20 2016, 07:46 AM
GMC Founder
We have two available instructors for mentoring: Gabriel Leopardi and Todd Simpson

Regardless if you choose to do mentoring or not, you can always submit a REC take. The instructors grading REC are: Gabriel Leopardi, Ben Higgins and Darius Wave.

You will get best audio quality if you import the backing into your DAW. You can however also use a simple room mic, but you need to do some test recordings first, to make sure levels or ok (we need to be able to hear your guitar clearly).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 20 2016, 07:55 AM
Learning Roadie
Are you Bobby Devito by any chance?

Ah Ignore me, just read your other thread, and you aren't

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Sep 20 2016, 07:57 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
FunktheBlues
Sep 20 2016, 08:36 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 20 2016, 06:46 AM) *
We have two available instructors for mentoring: Gabriel Leopardi and Todd Simpson

Regardless if you choose to do mentoring or not, you can always submit a REC take. The instructors grading REC are: Gabriel Leopardi, Ben Higgins and Darius Wave.

You will get best audio quality if you import the backing into your DAW. You can however also use a simple room mic, but you need to do some test recordings first, to make sure levels or ok (we need to be able to hear your guitar clearly).

Wow..I feel special having the founder respond, Great site you put together. I do want to go with the mentoring program. Where do I read about how it works?

I have a DAW (Ableton) but do not know how to import the backing tracks into it. Once I get the Backing tracks in Ableton, I would use Guitar Rig 5 to play along and record. How does the video fit in at this point? , I have the backing track and solo being recorded in Ableton. Do I use the webcam on Imac recording video while I jam along with backing track in ableton? The music would come out of studio monitors and I could use an external mic to capture audio with video. Or is there an easier way to do this. Thanks

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 20 2016, 09:30 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (FunktheBlues @ Sep 20 2016, 07:36 AM) *
I have a DAW (Ableton) but do not know how to import the backing tracks into it. Once I get the Backing tracks in Ableton, I would use Guitar Rig 5 to play along and record. How does the video fit in at this point? , I have the backing track and solo being recorded in Ableton. Do I use the webcam on Imac recording video while I jam along with backing track in ableton? The music would come out of studio monitors and I could use an external mic to capture audio with video. Or is there an easier way to do this. Thanks

You can simply drag and drop the backing track into a free slot on an audio track. I use Ableton so, if you have questions I will try to help you wink.gif
Yes, you need to record the video while you play along with the backing track in Ableton. For REC section the video and audio must be recorded in the same time.
Try to catch with the webcam a straight angle where both hands can be visible because will be much easy for instructors to give you a great feedback.
After you have have done the recording you can use any video editing program to overlap the audio and video files.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 20 2016, 11:45 AM
Instructor
Yeah...Kris is always there for all of us. I'll try to get into details because I know he has a lot of things here, to take care of smile.gif

Mentoring instrucotrs (at the moment Gabriel and Todd) are instructors who take care of overall forum feedback on a daily basis. This means you can count on a reasonably fast responses and regular care of your playing progress. In past some other instrustors have been leading mentoring program as well...me and Ben for example, but at the moment we are not available due to our external duties. That's why you can see more instructors in the mentoring forum section. At the same time it's worth mentioning that many other instructors do visit the site quite often and you can always try to catch them through Private Message or forum...or just writting your question below the lessons. Even if some instructor is not available anymore, you can still count on feedback from any other instructor, because will all do see your activity and follow you to be able to help. I for example, may not be able to respond the same day you'll request for help, but I always do respond and it's usually within few days. If you have any question directly too me, please don't hesitate to write me a PM.

REC instructors are me, Ben and Gabriel. We are responsible for a regular care of REC section. We listen, watch and analyze your take over chosen lesson, and post our feedback. We also grade the take to make you have an image of how far in the 1-10 scale you are for this particular lesson execution.

It is not necessary to have professional recording gear, to post a rec take. Phone video can be enough as long, as we can see both of your hands and we can clearly hear your guitar. Best solution in this case is to have all sound sources directed in the same direction. Otherwise phase cancellation will make your audio sound like with phaser on.

No matter who will lead your mentoring, you can choose from all the lessons, not only those from instructor you choose. Of course it's usually a matter of instructors advices because someone has to judge if a lesson is proper for your level. That's of course just a suggestion and no one will even make you do anything without your approvement smile.gif Of course learning a lesson made by author, who is your mentor at the same time, gives the ability to help you even better - more details to capture and ease of explanation how some "hand mechanics" worked for a particular lesson. Again...it's just a suggestion, not a must

I hope we made some clearance around the topic smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 20 2016, 11:57 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (FunktheBlues @ Sep 20 2016, 09:36 AM) *
Wow..I feel special having the founder respond, Great site you put together. I do want to go with the mentoring program. Where do I read about how it works?

You can check out their personal boards or message them. If you are strictly into technique/shred I would advise you go with Todd, for anything rock/pop/blues/metal go with Gab!

Todd: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=4&MID=8794

Gabriel: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=4&MID=1289

--------------------

+Quote Post
FunktheBlues
Sep 20 2016, 05:33 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Sep 20 2016, 08:30 AM) *
You can simply drag and drop the backing track into a free slot on an audio track. I use Ableton so, if you have questions I will try to help you wink.gif
Yes, you need to record the video while you play along with the backing track in Ableton. For REC section the video and audio must be recorded in the same time.
Try to catch with the webcam a straight angle where both hands can be visible because will be much easy for instructors to give you a great feedback.
After you have have done the recording you can use any video editing program to overlap the audio and video files.

Hi Monica....nice to meet a new friend from Norway who also plays guitar and uses Ableton. Thanks for the simple drag & drop solution.

I know how to use the Webcam, so the only piece I do not understand is how to use video using editing software to overlap or synch the audio & video. Any simple way to do this and what software do you recommend? FYI....I start Dubspot in NYC for their 6 month Ableton producer program. Hopefully I will be able to repay the favor and give some cool advice about using Ableton soon.

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 20 2016, 10:45 AM) *
Yeah...Kris is always there for all of us. I'll try to get into details because I know he has a lot of things here, to take care of smile.gif

Mentoring instrucotrs (at the moment Gabriel and Todd) are instructors who take care of overall forum feedback on a daily basis. This means you can count on a reasonably fast responses and regular care of your playing progress. In past some other instrustors have been leading mentoring program as well...me and Ben for example, but at the moment we are not available due to our external duties. That's why you can see more instructors in the mentoring forum section. At the same time it's worth mentioning that many other instructors do visit the site quite often and you can always try to catch them through Private Message or forum...or just writting your question below the lessons. Even if some instructor is not available anymore, you can still count on feedback from any other instructor, because will all do see your activity and follow you to be able to help. I for example, may not be able to respond the same day you'll request for help, but I always do respond and it's usually within few days. If you have any question directly too me, please don't hesitate to write me a PM.

REC instructors are me, Ben and Gabriel. We are responsible for a regular care of REC section. We listen, watch and analyze your take over chosen lesson, and post our feedback. We also grade the take to make you have an image of how far in the 1-10 scale you are for this particular lesson execution.

It is not necessary to have professional recording gear, to post a rec take. Phone video can be enough as long, as we can see both of your hands and we can clearly hear your guitar. Best solution in this case is to have all sound sources directed in the same direction. Otherwise phase cancellation will make your audio sound like with phaser on.

No matter who will lead your mentoring, you can choose from all the lessons, not only those from instructor you choose. Of course it's usually a matter of instructors advices because someone has to judge if a lesson is proper for your level. That's of course just a suggestion and no one will even make you do anything without your approvement smile.gif Of course learning a lesson made by author, who is your mentor at the same time, gives the ability to help you even better - more details to capture and ease of explanation how some "hand mechanics" worked for a particular lesson. Again...it's just a suggestion, not a must

I hope we made some clearance around the topic smile.gif

Thanks Darius....that was very helpful. So just to be clear, what exactly is the main difference between mentoring and just using REC program without a mentor. I would think the mentoring program would allow you to improve quicker only because I believed that your mentor gives you an assignment and it has to be completed within certain number of days. If assignment is not completed, you are dropped from mentoring program. Otherwise, I do not see the incentive of the mentoring program if your REC videos are going to be wayched and reviewed by instructors. I hope that makes sense.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 20 2016, 10:57 AM) *
You can check out their personal boards or message them. If you are strictly into technique/shred I would advise you go with Todd, for anything rock/pop/blues/metal go with Gab!

Todd: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=4&MID=8794

Gabriel: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=4&MID=1289

Thanks Kris. The style of playing I am most interested in learning and I related to this instructor more than any other is Guido. I sent him a PM last night and even though he is active on the site, I received a message this instructor does not except private messages which I though was a bit odd. Is that normal for active instructors to turn off that feature?

Knowing I like Guido's lessons the best and also play funk and heavy blues, who would you recommend as a mentor? . And I really appreciated Darius trying to explain everything but I am still missing something very simple. If RECs are going to be reviewed by instructors, what is the benefit of having the mentoring program? In other words, I would have expected to be dropped from program if I didn't keep my end of bargain with mentor. That is the only way I know I will get work done as I have an incentive to get it finished. Is that essentially how it works? Also, knowing that Guido is best suited for my style of playing, who would you recommend as a mentor? Really makes no difference to me as long s I see a MAJOR improvement in my playing because I am willing to put the time into practicing.

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 20 2016, 06:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (FunktheBlues @ Sep 20 2016, 04:33 PM) *
Hi Monica....nice to meet a new friend from Norway who also plays guitar and uses Ableton. Thanks for the simple drag & drop solution.

I know how to use the Webcam, so the only piece I do not understand is how to use video using editing software to overlap or synch the audio & video. Any simple way to do this and what software do you recommend? FYI....I start Dubspot in NYC for their 6 month Ableton producer program. Hopefully I will be able to repay the favor and give some cool advice about using Ableton soon.

For my REC takes I usually use Windows Movie Maker (but i'm a PC/windows user). It's free, it works good and last around 2 minutes to sync the video and audio. Because it doesn't has automatically synchronize like Adobe Premiere Pro, you must do this manually (you can guide after the waveforms). It's nothing hard but first of all try to find a free video editing program for your Mac (I don't know which programs works on Mac).
Let us know when you have it installed and we will help you with next steps smile.gif

BTW I'm from Romania not from Norway wink.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 20 2016, 07:08 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I gathered info from this thread (Thanks Darius!) and put together this wiki entry which will be featured at our Wiki Community column.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ntoring_Program

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 20 2016, 08:54 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! Please check out our mentoring thread (at my personal board): HERE.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 21 2016, 08:51 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (FunktheBlues @ Sep 20 2016, 06:33 PM) *
Thanks Kris. The style of playing I am most interested in learning and I related to this instructor more than any other is Guido. I sent him a PM last night and even though he is active on the site, I received a message this instructor does not except private messages which I though was a bit odd. Is that normal for active instructors to turn off that feature?

Knowing I like Guido's lessons the best and also play funk and heavy blues, who would you recommend as a mentor? . And I really appreciated Darius trying to explain everything but I am still missing something very simple. If RECs are going to be reviewed by instructors, what is the benefit of having the mentoring program? In other words, I would have expected to be dropped from program if I didn't keep my end of bargain with mentor. That is the only way I know I will get work done as I have an incentive to get it finished. Is that essentially how it works? Also, knowing that Guido is best suited for my style of playing, who would you recommend as a mentor? Really makes no difference to me as long s I see a MAJOR improvement in my playing because I am willing to put the time into practicing.

Thanks again.

Guido is not available for mentoring here, so your best bet is to contact him via facebook or his website. I do agree it would be better if the forum software would inform you straight away that the instructor your trying to pm is not available - this bug is one of the many reasons why we would like to move away from the current platform.

I would advise you to try a mentoring program with Gabriel. You can request that he gives you a stricter program - as we try to tailor them after our students needs.

RECs are open for everybody, even those who do not wish to follow any specific program. The different between mentoring and REC should become clear to you as you get acquainted with mentoring.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 21 2016, 09:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 21 2016, 07:51 AM) *
Guido is not available for mentoring here, so your best bet is to contact him via facebook or his website. I do agree it would be better if the forum software would inform you straight away that the instructor your trying to pm is not available - this bug is one of the many reasons why we would like to move away from the current platform.

I would advise you to try a mentoring program with Gabriel. You can request that he gives you a stricter program - as we try to tailor them after our students needs.

RECs are open for everybody, even those who do not wish to follow any specific program. The different between mentoring and REC should become clear to you as you get acquainted with mentoring.

The REC program is for you to use with or without a Mentor. You can go it alone and submit a take for instructors to judge your playing and offer advice or you can have a mentor who will guide you through the process, helping you out along the way until your REC submission.
I'm currently working with Gab, we came up with a new system and he is using it with me and some other students where you get a first and second chance and that is the last. Nobody has failed the second chance yet so we don't really know what the "punishment" is wink.gif
Have a word with Gab and tell him what you want but I doubt you will ever be kicked out of a program with a Mentor, maybe you could request that he doesn't mentor you for two weeks if you fail to work hard enough. I can't speak for him so I don't know whether he will say yes or no but, ask him what he thinks.

With a mentor they have vast knowledge of the lessons on here and can pick ones to help you with your individual areas of difficulty and so help you along the way more than you struggling on your own.

Enjoy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 22 2016, 09:45 AM
Instructor
REC is just a like an exam, while mentoring is like going for regular lessons where teacher watches you and advices how to fix potential mistakes, before you attempt the exam smile.gif

QUOTE (Fran @ Sep 20 2016, 06:08 PM) *
I gathered info from this thread (Thanks Darius!) and put together this wiki entry which will be featured at our Wiki Community column.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ntoring_Program

Thx Fran! This will help to clarify things in the future

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:23 AM