> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Offa's Thread, for gab's army
Offa
Feb 23 2016, 12:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Gab!
I rejoined your army today and feel really excited about that. I want to reactivate my old thread, so i have all of our posts in one thread. In the last 1,5 years i did not play too much on my guitars. My last band splits up more than a year ago and since then i am playing at home for myself. I am 42 now, have 3 Kids and quite busy in my job. I am to old to be the next guitar hero, but i like to proceed my guitar skills.

You got me a few questions, i will give you an answer:

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
27 years

- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
I like Jeff Beck, Satch, Slash, Vai ...all the popular guitar heroes. :-)

- What are your guitar goals?
I like to improve my soloing skills. I am weak in improvising and want to learn how to play modal scales. I am not good at fingerpicking, but i want to improve hybrid picking too.

- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
Still playing with fun, maybe in a band with some friends and playing live sometimes.

- How many time can you play guitar each day?
1-2h
- Do you have playing live experience?
Yes i have, most of the time as a rhythm player.

- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
I know my weaknesses, and i can clearly point out what (and most of the time how) i have to practice. My technique is not too bad, i like my tone most of the time. My weak point are my improvising skills.

- What do you know about music theory?
Not too much. I got my last lessons 15 years ago and forgot many theory stuff. I feel comfort with pentatonic and 3-Note-per-String maj/minor scales. Don´t know very much about chord theory and composing.

- Can you record videos of you playing?
yes i can. Probably i need some time to get to good results.

- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.
I put a quick shot in the attachment. Very rough. Could not hear the count in...so i messed it up :-)

Youtube Video Backbeat Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-eNIx3wXA

So far, so good. Rock on!
Jan "Offa"

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Offa: Feb 23 2016, 01:52 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Backbeat_Blues_audio.mp3 ( 2.29MB ) Number of downloads: 69

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 23 2016, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for your info. It's great to reactivate this thread. I've checked our work here and I wonder if you worked on THIS routine. Based on your goals I think that it's a great starting point for the first week, what do you think?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Offa
Feb 23 2016, 05:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 23 2016, 02:19 PM) *
Hi mate, thanks for your info. It's great to reactivate this thread. I've checked our work here and I wonder if you worked on THIS routine. Based on your goals I think that it's a great starting point for the first week, what do you think?

Hey Gab!
Yes, i remember this routine. You are right, a good point to start. I´ll dig in and send you a few audio files next week.

Jan

+Quote Post
Offa
Feb 23 2016, 10:32 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Offa @ Feb 23 2016, 05:07 PM) *
Hey Gab!
Yes, i remember this routine. You are right, a good point to start. I´ll dig in and send you a few audio files next week.

Jan

Hey Gabriel,
before i start with my routine... i have a question. This is really a lot of stuff and a lot to learn. What is my goal for the next weeks? Should I practice the lessons until i can play them perfectly? This could last much longer, up to 4-5 weeks. Or will you change the exercises in 1-2 weeks no matter how good i can handle them?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 24 2016, 02:58 PM
Instructor
The best is to dedicate two weeks to this routine to learn the parts and adjust everything the more possible. Then, we can decide if we keep some of this lessons and replace others, or if you let this lessons as a warming up (playing them twice) and start a new group of lessons.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Mar 12 2016, 02:24 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 24 2016, 02:58 PM) *
The best is to dedicate two weeks to this routine to learn the parts and adjust everything the more possible. Then, we can decide if we keep some of this lessons and replace others, or if you let this lessons as a warming up (playing them twice) and start a new group of lessons.

Hi Gabriel,
i had a lot of fun with the GMC Lessons. Here are some results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riV-cIxOpyk...em-upload_owner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf3nHGJgVk0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrJlUtnw1xk

"It´s Gone" is a fantastic rhythm exercise. It will take some time to get recordable results.

I also spend time on jamming with the Dorian Pentatonic Scale. I´m playing short phrases, trying to discover target notes.

Do you have any advice?

Jan

+Quote Post
Offa
Mar 12 2016, 12:26 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 24 2016, 02:58 PM) *

Hi Gabriel,
i have a question while playing with the modes. You told me to play at first the dorian pentatonic mode. I find it much more difficult to play the modes as a pentatonic instead of the whole scale. Is there any reason why i should learn the pentatonic scale instead of "reducing" the whole scale after i got familiar with it? I hope you understand what i want to say. huh.gif

Jan

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2016, 09:50 PM
Instructor
Hi Offa,

This is just a visualization trick and it's explained by Guthrie Govan in the video. You can learn the mode by once but I suspect that you already know the Pentatonic scale, so the only thing that you need to do is to add the extra notes that form the mode.

This doesn't mean that you have to do it in this way but being able to connect all elements (pentatonic scales, scales, triads, chords, arpeggios) is very helpful to master the fret-board.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Mar 12 2016, 10:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 12 2016, 09:50 PM) *
Hi Offa,

This is just a visualization trick and it's explained by Guthrie Govan in the video. You can learn the mode by once but I suspect that you already know the Pentatonic scale, so the only thing that you need to do is to add the extra notes that form the mode.

This doesn't mean that you have to do it in this way but being able to connect all elements (pentatonic scales, scales, triads, chords, arpeggios) is very helpful to master the fret-board.

Hi Gabriel,
thank you for your answer. I think i will try both approaches and find out which one fits for me. Have you seen Post #26? :-)

Offa

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 13 2016, 08:19 PM
Instructor
Hi again Offa, I've missed the takes.

Great to know that you are enjoying the practice. The takes are good. Neoclassical lesson is very close to sound flawless, you just have to clean a bit the last arpeggios. Legato lesson sound good but you need to focus a bit on timing. Finally, the other lesson is on the right track but you need to work on vibrato and bending to make both technique sound more precise.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Mar 31 2016, 03:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 13 2016, 08:19 PM) *
Hi again Offa, I've missed the takes.

Great to know that you are enjoying the practice. The takes are good. Neoclassical lesson is very close to sound flawless, you just have to clean a bit the last arpeggios. Legato lesson sound good but you need to focus a bit on timing. Finally, the other lesson is on the right track but you need to work on vibrato and bending to make both technique sound more precise.

Hello Gabriel,
i think i´m ready for a new plan! I´m still fighting with "It´s gone". What a great tune! Do you want some hearing examples?

Jan

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 1 2016, 01:45 PM
Instructor
Ok mate! Please share some new videos of you playing the routine and we'll plan the new one.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Apr 2 2016, 12:23 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 1 2016, 02:45 PM) *
Ok mate! Please share some new videos of you playing the routine and we'll plan the new one.

Hi Gab!
I just recorded some audio files for you. They are all not very good and i can do better ...but not tonight. unsure.gif

Jan -Offa-

Attached File(s)
Attached File  NeoClassical.wav ( 4.62MB ) Number of downloads: 97
Attached File  Land_of_Legato.wav ( 7.49MB ) Number of downloads: 98
Attached File  Phrygian_Solo.wav ( 7.45MB ) Number of downloads: 72
Attached File  Its_Gone.wav ( 16.3MB ) Number of downloads: 70
Attached File  Jam.wav ( 6.87MB ) Number of downloads: 74

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2016, 06:36 PM
Instructor
Great! Thanks for the audios. This is the new routine! Let me know what you think.

HOUR 1:

Alternate Picking (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

Legato (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...g_intermediate/

Phasing/Feeling (Vibrato, bending and dynamics) (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...s-And-Phrasing/

HOUR 2:

Rhythm Work: (15 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rhythm-Funk/

Scales-Modes Workout / Ear training / Creative Work (30 minutes)
During this block, take the lessons from the phrasing and rhythm parts to work on improvisation. Analyze the sclaes used on the lessons and use them to build your own phrases. Start with variations of the lessons connected with your own stuff. Record yourself and share it here.

Composition: (15 minutes)
Dedicate this time to random playing and creation.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
Apr 29 2016, 04:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Gabriel,
these are really great lessons and i am playing them a lot. You just graded my rec video i took from your plan. Thank you! It also took some time to set up my PC for recording quality. Now I get very good results using Guitar Rig Software!
There are some more videos to do for me. The lessons still need some more practice. Right now I am close to finish the "Ballad phrasing" lesson. Not an easy one and hard to get close to the phrasing and "tone" shown in the video. ...but i will make it...
Rock on!
Jan -Offa-

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 2 2016, 07:36 PM) *
Great! Thanks for the audios. This is the new routine! Let me know what you think.

HOUR 1:

Alternate Picking (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

Legato (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...g_intermediate/

Phasing/Feeling (Vibrato, bending and dynamics) (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Ballad...s-And-Phrasing/

HOUR 2:

Rhythm Work: (15 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rhythm-Funk/

Scales-Modes Workout / Ear training / Creative Work (30 minutes)
During this block, take the lessons from the phrasing and rhythm parts to work on improvisation. Analyze the sclaes used on the lessons and use them to build your own phrases. Start with variations of the lessons connected with your own stuff. Record yourself and share it here.

Composition: (15 minutes)
Dedicate this time to random playing and creation.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 30 2016, 11:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Offa! That's great! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to know that you are working hard. I'll be waiting for your new videos.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
May 16 2016, 02:04 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 1 2016, 12:19 AM) *
Hi Offa! That's great! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to know that you are working hard. I'll be waiting for your new videos.

Hi Gabriel!
I recorded some tracks for you! It took a long time to do this, but it was worth it. The picking and dynamic exercises were really great and my left and right hand are much more relaxed while playing now. Also i got lots more control in my finger movement. The recordings are all 2nd takes! This is how it sounds, when i grab my guitar and start playing. So, i did not try to do a perfect "REC" recording. I know, that there are some issues. Timing, dynamic, string bending. I can point my mistakes out and i know, that i can play the tracks a lot better. In the "Thirds" lesson i played with alternate picking. It is very hard for me to speed up with this technique and sometimes i hit "wrong strings", while changing strings. This does only happen, when i get close to my maximum speed. Damn!

There is one lesson missing, i havent recorded yet. I will do this the next 1-2 days. I think i am ready for some new stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFRC7LQDy2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnUwXSHxxe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cnFe2FqYr8 (Seen on REC)

Rock on!
Jan "Offa"

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 17 2016, 12:51 AM
Instructor
Hi Offa!

Great job with this videos. I notice that your fingers start to feel more comfortable with this exercises, and that you seem to have more training. There is more room to adjust the lessons as you've said but this videos are very promising.

When playing alternate picking, (and also on the legato + picking lesson) you need to put some attention on making the movements smaller for both hands. You have to make the up and down right hand motions smaller, and also try to keep your left hand fingers closer to the neck when they are not playing. Check your video and watch carefully the original ones, try to emulate how economic the instructor's movements are.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Offa
May 20 2016, 11:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 17 2016, 01:51 AM) *
Hi Offa!

Great job with this videos. I notice that your fingers start to feel more comfortable with this exercises, and that you seem to have more training. There is more room to adjust the lessons as you've said but this videos are very promising.

When playing alternate picking, (and also on the legato + picking lesson) you need to put some attention on making the movements smaller for both hands. You have to make the up and down right hand motions smaller, and also try to keep your left hand fingers closer to the neck when they are not playing. Check your video and watch carefully the original ones, try to emulate how economic the instructor's movements are.

Hi Gabriel,
thank you for your comments! I am off for holiday now. When i am back i will work on left- and righthand movement. I will take a few more weeks to improve. I already know that my movement can be more precise and work hard on that topic for years. It is very hard for me to get better results. I will make a close up video from my picking hand, maybe you can give me some more advice. I am also unsure if i hold the pick in the right angel to the strings. Maybe you can see what i mean.

Rock on!
Jan - "Offa"

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 20 2016, 03:09 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, that sounds great! Enjoy your vacation and let me know when the new video with closer angle is ready.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:15 AM