2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Headbanging Injuries, What am I doing wrong?
thefireball
Apr 22 2011, 05:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello, GMC community!

I noticed that when I headbang a lot, and very hard, my neck gets sore. I'm wondering if it's just because I'm tense. I don't know how others on stage do it without killing themselves. I was thinking....this can't be good for our necks. We're gonna grow old with neck problems. ..... Bah! Who cares? laugh.gif Just kidding.

Take a look at this video I did yesterday and tell me what my problem is please. smile.gif

My neck is sore after this video. (I had a few outtake videos before this too.)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Apr 22 2011, 07:56 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Do you work out regularly (especially your shoulders)? Do you stretch afterwards? Do you stretch before you bang like that? I suggest you do all of these three things and you should be fine smile.gif
Christian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Apr 22 2011, 08:23 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Can't see the movie, copyright essues tongue.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 22 2011, 08:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Ah, I suspect those must be what I'm doing wrong. No I don't stretch or work out. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 22 2011, 09:14 PM
GMC:er
The muscles in your neck aren't used to the movement, you'll injure yourself if you go too hard, too fast.

Let it heal, build it up and you'll be fine.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 22 2011, 09:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Thank you for that advice. It'll take a few days to re-cooperate. I remember this happened to me the first concert I went to. I rocked out! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Apr 22 2011, 09:53 PM
I'm sad to say, but... I would say headbanging is an art, just like rapping...
(90% of them have no idea what they are doing / 70% or more of them totally suck and should of probably not done it in the first place)

Also people normally end up with a headache after doing this.

Step 1) You need to be a metalhead or goth. People are generally found doing this at metal/rock concerts.

Step 2) Stretch your neck before handbanging. Just like you stretch your fingers before shredding up a lick on the guitar. This prevents injury.

Step 3) Start off slowly and work your way up following the tempo. Rhythm nod, nodding your head backwards a bit then flicking forward, repeating with the rhythm. Note: your moving backwards gently and forward a lot (don't jerk back on your neck).

Step 4) Stay in time with the drummer and rhythm.

Step 5) Hard slammer - swinging your head from head height to waist height.

Step 6) Windmill - spin your head in a circle and let hair fly. Best with long rockers haircut style.

Step 7) Professional headbangers bodies usually bang with the head, reducing the strain on the neck and making the body move in a serpentine, up-and-down fashion to the music.

Step 8) Follow up with eyes closed and/or in combination with hand gestures, yelling/screaming, and/or death growls.

Step 9) Have fun!

ps. Awesome vid, but your jerking the neck rather than moving with the body, this would hurt. You body is currently static, it's a real struggle playing the guitar and moving the body lower at the same time, but I think that's your issue.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Apr 22 2011, 10:11 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Apr 22 2011, 10:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
Long hair.
biggrin.gif

But yeah. Your video is blocked in my country, but if you are tense, your neck is just weak. Headbang more, and thus build muscles and stretch, and you'll do fine smile.gif Ever seen the necks of those old black metal guys? Bull-necks right there smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Apr 22 2011, 10:04 PM

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Apr 22 2011, 10:50 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Seems like all videos are blocked at the moemtn...I didn't have a problem watching it a couple of hours ago...weird stuff.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Apr 22 2011, 11:22 PM
Working fine for me, have you tried rebooting!

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Apr 23 2011, 12:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Apr 23 2011, 12:22 AM) *
Working fine for me, have you tried rebooting!

Copyright laws are different in different countries. Probably blocked in most european countries. Nothing to do with the PC.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 23 2011, 12:19 AM
Learning Roadie
Okay smile.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Apr 23 2011, 11:53 AM
Instructor
I don't how the guys in Cannibal corpse for instance headbang throughout the whole set. I guess they are used to it after years. My neck hurts the next day when I head bang too much.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Justin Myrick
Apr 23 2011, 01:13 PM
GMC Administrator
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Apr 22 2011, 08:53 PM) *
I'm sad to say, but... I would say headbanging is an art, just like rapping...
(90% of them have no idea what they are doing / 70% or more of them totally suck and should of probably not done it in the first place)

Also people normally end up with a headache after doing this.

Step 1) You need to be a metalhead or goth. People are generally found doing this at metal/rock concerts.

Step 2) Stretch your neck before handbanging. Just like you stretch your fingers before shredding up a lick on the guitar. This prevents injury.

Step 3) Start off slowly and work your way up following the tempo. Rhythm nod, nodding your head backwards a bit then flicking forward, repeating with the rhythm. Note: your moving backwards gently and forward a lot (don't jerk back on your neck).

Step 4) Stay in time with the drummer and rhythm.

Step 5) Hard slammer - swinging your head from head height to waist height.

Step 6) Windmill - spin your head in a circle and let hair fly. Best with long rockers haircut style.

Step 7) Professional headbangers bodies usually bang with the head, reducing the strain on the neck and making the body move in a serpentine, up-and-down fashion to the music.

Step 8) Follow up with eyes closed and/or in combination with hand gestures, yelling/screaming, and/or death growls.

Step 9) Have fun!

ps. Awesome vid, but your jerking the neck rather than moving with the body, this would hurt. You body is currently static, it's a real struggle playing the guitar and moving the body lower at the same time, but I think that's your issue.

Great advice!

--------------------
About Me

Cheers,
Justin Myrick
GMC Administrator

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 23 2011, 07:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Apr 23 2011, 06:53 AM) *
I don't how the guys in Cannibal corpse for instance headbang throughout the whole set. I guess they are used to it after years. My neck hurts the next day when I head bang too much.

Have you seen the neck on that singer? If you didn't know he headbangs for a living you'd think he's a professional knob polisher tongue.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 23 2011, 08:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Glad I'm not alone in the pain, Daniel wink.gif I'm getting better with it now. Still sore, but not as bad. smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 23 2011, 09:11 PM
Learning Roadie
I disputed the copyright issues for those who wanna view it now.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 23 2011, 10:59 PM
Instructor
Nice video! I also think that with some warming up and stretching (before & after) you'll solve the problem.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 23 2011, 11:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gabriel!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 24 2011, 07:52 PM
Instructor
Hey nice vid man, just saw it! smile.gif

Yeah, like everybody said, it's probably the fact that you haven't warmed up your neck muscles and they got stretched too fast. Try to stretch them slowly, and try to relax (if possible) your spine a bit.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:20 AM