> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 126 127 128 129 130 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Jan 7 2021, 09:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

That's a great video, awesome intro from the Gabster cool.gif I guess emulators are great for the band but for me, nothing beats seeing a wall of Marshall mic'd up on the backline. I remember seeing Manowar at a small venue in Birmingham in the early 90's, man, you could FEEL the amps warming up. There was a big glitter ball right above me, it was shaking and the band weren't even on stage yet. My ears buzzed for over a week blink.gif wacko.gif

The last time I saw Black Stone Cherry was the first time I'd seen a band without a backline, the stage looked empty, the band looked lost, it was a big stage the looked lost the gig was great though once I'd got used to the look of the stage.

Regarding the collab,

Is it possible to give me the chord progression for parts two three and four please? I know it's in the key B minor but you know my ear isn't the best at recognising chords and time is very limited now wink.gif Also if you could tell me how many bars of each that would be great.

Also, if we don't get a nice ending, maybe we could repeat the intro but so it doesn't just look like we copy and pasted the intro, I could re-record the part on my Yamaha acoustic which looks different to my Sigma? Just an idea.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2021, 02:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 7 2021, 05:46 PM) *
Thanks Gab,
That's a great video, awesome intro from the Gabster cool.gif I guess emulators are great for the band but for me, nothing beats seeing a wall of Marshall mic'd up on the backline. I remember seeing Manowar at a small venue in Birmingham in the early 90's, man, you could FEEL the amps warming up. There was a big glitter ball right above me, it was shaking and the band weren't even on stage yet. My ears buzzed for over a week blink.gif wacko.gif

The last time I saw Black Stone Cherry was the first time I'd seen a band without a backline, the stage looked empty, the band looked lost, it was a big stage the looked lost the gig was great though once I'd got used to the look of the stage.

hehe yeah, I know what you mean. Wall of Marshall looks great on a rock live concert. I don't think that it's a must, but it will be 10 times better than an empty stage. These are some cool examples of ampless stages:

Attached Image
Attached Image

Metallica uses Fractal live, even for Bass guitar.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 7 2021, 05:46 PM) *
Regarding the collab,

Is it possible to give me the chord progression for parts two three and four please? I know it's in the key B minor but you know my ear isn't the best at recognising chords and time is very limited now wink.gif Also if you could tell me how many bars of each that would be great.

Also, if we don't get a nice ending, maybe we could repeat the intro but so it doesn't just look like we copy and pasted the intro, I could re-record the part on my Yamaha acoustic which looks different to my Sigma? Just an idea.

Sure! I'll add the chord progression in the thread.

And yes, I think that repeating the intro could be cool! That was my first idea. However, I always give the final structure of the collabs once I have all takes because it seems that having long backings can scare participants. It's better to have 3 short sections for people to jam, and then give an structure based on what we get. Check out the previous collab evolution and you'll see what I mean. smile.gif

Feel free to record more acoustics for the intro backing!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 9 2021, 06:46 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 8 2021, 01:48 PM) *
Feel free to record more acoustics for the intro backing!

Thanks,

Do you mean the same notes with a different guitar or different notes?

Cheers

UPDATE: Got a new mic, test is HERE

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 10 2021, 09:31 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 11 2021, 03:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 9 2021, 02:46 PM) *
Thanks,

Do you mean the same notes with a different guitar or different notes?

Whatever you'd like mate! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 11 2021, 04:27 PM
Cheers buddy,

I didn't know what plans you had wink.gif

Did you see the mic test? I'm pretty happy with it and Mertay has given me a good tip smile.gif

Stay safe, speak soon.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 11 2021, 04:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 11 2021, 12:27 PM) *
Cheers buddy,

I didn't know what plans you had wink.gif

I'm always open to what we get in the collab threads Based on the best parts of each take I try to do my best to build a killer track. That's why the more we get the better. I have more options to experiment.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 11 2021, 12:27 PM) *
Did you see the mic test? I'm pretty happy with it and Mertay has given me a good tip smile.gif

Stay safe, speak soon.

Phil

I've checked the files yesterday but could't get into the whole thread deeply. I'll check it today.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 11 2021, 05:01 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 12 2021, 02:28 PM
Instructor
Just an addition... why do I experiment based on what I get? Because in many cases I get many takes for the same part, and sometimes no takes for other parts. So I try to do my best to use material from everybody. This is sometimes risky because some students can feel bad about not using the whole take of them. But this type of "song type" collabs are more like that. Jam collabs allow full takes on after the other.

smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 12 2021, 03:02 PM
I understand buddy wink.gif

I'm really happy with that new mic, I know it's nothing special but it makes recording acoustic guitar much easier. One of the days I'm going to try it on an amp.

I'll try to come up with something for the other parts if possible. I used to worry that maybe if I just improvised for the whole piece that there would be too much for you to use but I guess you could just pull out a couple of bars if you could make it fit, maybe explain that in the intro to the next collab, "Record as much as you can, long; short; lots of small pieces; lots of long pieces it doesn't matter, we can chop it all up to make a great sounding piece of music". I think many, myself included, try to come up with one complete solo or improv that sounds good from start to finish, maybe we don't need to?

Cheers

Speak soon

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 12 2021, 03:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 12 2021, 03:07 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Nice to know that you are enjoying your mic! I own a condenser mic and it's the only that I've been using for a long time at my home studio. It's great for vocals & acoustics! Can't wait to hear you singing. biggrin.gif

I agree about your suggestion for the next collab. I used to write something similar but in this one maybe I was too shord: "Now it's your time to record whatever you'd like over it". ohmy.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 12 2021, 09:58 PM
I remember something similar, something like "It can be one note or one chord" but I don't think it went into people's heads. Maybe something like "Record and submit anything that comes into your head, from one note to a whole solo, one chord to a whole progression, even some weird effect, if we can use it we will, we enjoy piecing all of the bits together so come on, give us the pieces of the jigsaw"

I've just submitted some more takes, not sure that they work and can you explain why that F# sounds like it goes down from the D instead of up, or is it my weird ears?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2021, 02:20 PM
Instructor
Thanks mate! I've shared your quote in the thread! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 12 2021, 05:58 PM) *
I've just submitted some more takes, not sure that they work and can you explain why that F# sounds like it goes down from the D instead of up, or is it my weird ears?

Cheers

Phil

What do you mean by "goes down" and "goes up"?

Going up in music means "higher" pitch. For example a 1st string E note is two octave higher than E on open 6th string. Maybe this is obvious for you but I needed to clarify it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 13 2021, 02:34 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 13 2021, 01:20 PM) *
Thanks mate! I've shared your quote in the thread! biggrin.gif

Let's hope it encourages others. That's why I'm putting more things in that I usually do, to show people that it doesn't matter what you submit wink.gif I didn't want to post my "quote" myself, I thought I may look like I was trying to take over if you know what I mean wink.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 13 2021, 01:20 PM) *
What do you mean by "goes down" and "goes up"?

Going up in music means "higher" pitch. For example a 1st string E note is two octave higher than E on open 6th string. Maybe this is obvious for you but I needed to clarify it.

Yes, that's correct buddy, when I go to the F# from the D it sounds to my ears like its going down (lower) in pitch, I actually recorded it a few times because I thought I was fretting on the low E string by mistake. Maybe it's some kind of freaky harmonic that my ears are sensitive to????

I hope that bass thing works out for you. Which did you prefer? I prefer the second one when the notes run into each other a little bit more.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2021, 02:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2021, 10:34 AM) *
Let's hope it encourages others. That's why I'm putting more things in that I usually do, to show people that it doesn't matter what you submit wink.gif I didn't want to post my "quote" myself, I thought I may look like I was trying to take over if you know what I mean wink.gif

That's great! Thanks!!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2021, 10:34 AM) *
Yes, that's correct buddy, when I go to the F# from the D it sounds to my ears like its going down (lower) in pitch, I actually recorded it a few times because I thought I was fretting on the low E string by mistake. Maybe it's some kind of freaky harmonic that my ears are sensitive to????

I hope that bass thing works out for you. Which did you prefer? I prefer the second one when the notes run into each other a little bit more.

It's because the bass is playing the F# lower than the D. It's not an illusion or effect, it's happening.

I find both takes pretty similar. Maybe the first one sounds more relaxed.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 13 2021, 02:58 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 13 2021, 01:39 PM) *
It's because the bass is playing the F# lower than the D. It's not an illusion or effect, it's happening.

I don't understand. The F# is not lower than the D how I play them. unsure.gif wacko.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2021, 03:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2021, 10:58 AM) *
I don't understand. The F# is not lower than the D how I play them. unsure.gif wacko.gif

Yes, but the bass is sounding louder than your guitar in the backing and is playing the lower F#. This is the simple explanation. biggrin.gif

If you want to get more complex you can read about the Fourier series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 13 2021, 03:20 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 13 2021, 02:08 PM) *
Yes, but the bass is sounding louder than your guitar in the backing and is playing the lower F#. This is the simple explanation. biggrin.gif

DOH! Now I feel simple laugh.gif Should I record again and play the lower F#. Would that be better for you to work with?

That wiki link is fascinating, thanks smile.gif

I'm enjoying this collab more than any other, I think it's the different approach in using which is introducing me to new things smile.gif

Cheers and thanks for you patience wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 13 2021, 03:22 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2021, 05:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2021, 11:20 AM) *
DOH! Now I feel simple laugh.gif Should I record again and play the lower F#. Would that be better for you to work with?

That wiki link is fascinating, thanks smile.gif

I'm enjoying this collab more than any other, I think it's the different approach in using which is introducing me to new things smile.gif

Cheers and thanks for you patience wink.gif

It's necessary, both F# can coexist there.

I've learnt about the Fourier series at the University during the Acoustic course. It's very interesting because it's very related to music.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 13 2021, 09:51 PM
Great, I think you meant "It's NOT necessary" so I'll leave it, I've done another take, a little solo for part two.

English, if you struggle to remember how to spell "necessary" or know someone that does (like me), just remember "Never Eat Crap, Eat Salad Sandwiches And Remain Young" cool.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2021, 02:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 13 2021, 05:51 PM) *
Great, I think you meant "It's NOT necessary" so I'll leave it, I've done another take, a little solo for part two.

English, if you struggle to remember how to spell "necessary" or know someone that does (like me), just remember "Never Eat Crap, Eat Salad Sandwiches And Remain Young" cool.gif

Cheers

hahah oh yes! NOT necessary!

Thanks for the cool spelling tip!! laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 26 2021, 10:37 PM
Hello Gab,

After the little discussion on the GMC Facebook group, what do you recommend to break my speed threshold in the shuffle lesson? I have Troy's Speed Mechanics book. I didn't fully understand his comment about 16th notes to finish the measure but if we can work on complementary exercises I'll do whatever you suggest.

I need to get back up to where I was, I lost a lot of practise doing the current collab and the new Kris collab but it's had its own benefits and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 126 127 128 129 130 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:40 AM