> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 96 97 98 99 100 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
May 22 2019, 03:57 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!!

Yes, you are totally right. Let's stay on this position until the scales become a second nature. (You made me remember a quote by Vai or Govan I think).

Adding blue note and maybe chromatic notes are enough by now. There is a lot to do with the things that you already know.

Regarding arpeggios, you can try different combinations to see what you get and which ones you like more.

You could try:

Option 1: Using only Blues Scale (Pentatonic minor + blue note)
Option 2: Combining Pentatonics. Major Penta over I and Minor over IV and V.
Option 3: Major Penta over I, dominant arpeggio over IV and Dominant arpeggio over V.
Option 4: Dominant Arpeggios over each chord.

That's a good way to start.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 22 2019, 04:30 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I'll be working on those things in the next few days.

Cheers

English lesson:

1/ I made a deliberate mistake in my last email hoping you might spot it, have another look wink.gif

2/
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 22 2019, 02:57 PM) *
Adding blue note and maybe chromatic notes are enough by now. There is a lot to do with the things that you already know.

Should be "Adding blue note and maybe chromatic notes are enough FOR now. There is a lot to do with the things that you already know."

I know you have used "by now" for a long time, but soon "for now" will become second nature wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 22 2019, 05:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 22 2019, 12:30 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

I'll be working on those things in the next few days.

Cheers

English lesson:

1/ I made a deliberate mistake in my last email hoping you might spot it, have another look wink.gif

2/
Should be "Adding blue note and maybe chromatic notes are enough FOR now. There is a lot to do with the things that you already know."

I know you have used "by now" for a long time, but soon "for now" will become second nature wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

ups! yeah, all my life using "by know", It seems that I'm not an easy student!! laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 22 2019, 08:00 PM
wink.gif

Your "by now" is like my G shape pentatonic laugh.gif

Did you find my deliberate mistake in the previous post? It's a great teaching technique I use when training engineers on machinery. I'll show them something new but part of the process will include something I've shown them before and I'll do it slightly wrong. An old teacher of mine used to do it. He said it shows if the student has truly learnt something. Sometimes students "switch on" to the subject when in the classroom but not outside the classroom. This method shows the teacher whether or not the student has the subject embedded in their brain at all times. It also teaches them to challenge the instructor and not just accept that they are always right. Obviously, the instructor knows the subject inside out but they can make errors, it teaches the student to always be alert and confident enough to challenge and ask questions.

Okay, speak soon, working on the stuff you gave me now.

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:
WOW, those chromatic notes are SOOOOO liberating. I haven't played along with the backing tonight, I've tried to develop some ideas outside the restraints of the backing, I find I tend to do the same old same old when the backing is on but, being able to add practically any note as a "passing" note is freeeeeeeedom. I always thought you HAD to only play the notes from the scale.

Thanks for setting me free buddy cool.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 22 2019, 09:11 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 23 2019, 02:55 PM
Instructor
"By now, I think maybe I should concentrate on adding the blue note, adding chromatics and developing phrasing/articulation, once that is better and comfortable, then look at adding arpeggios. The note map in my head is a mess trying to think of them all at once, I think I can cope with what I've mentioned above. What do you think?"

laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 23 2019, 09:04 PM
You got it buddy cool.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 22 2019, 02:57 PM) *
Hi Phil!!

Yes, you are totally right. Let's stay on this position until the scales become a second nature. (You made me remember a quote by Vai or Govan I think).

Another one just replace "workout" with "practise session".

My travel guitar went on its own travels, UPS lost it, the company have dispatched another one, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow (Friday) as I am away this weekend until Monday evening.

I have rediscovered a local man who is now a world legend, I trained with him a few times in the 80's as he passed through the gym I used, the owner was a big name in the bodybuilding world, even Arnie came to the gym in the 60's. Anyway, he wouldn't remember lil old me but I remember him, his focus and intensity were second to none. Watch just one minute of THIS clip from where it starts, that is my current inspiration.
This man is very inspiring.
When you have a few minutes watch THIS, we can all learn from him, "change yourself, be a white cell"

Peace Gab

Phil

P.S

I don't know if you saw this update in my last post but here it is again wink.gif

UPDATE:
WOW, those chromatic notes are SOOOOO liberating. I haven't played along with the backing tonight, I've tried to develop some ideas outside the restraints of the backing, I find I tend to do the same old same old when the backing is on but, being able to add practically any note as a "passing" note is freeeeeeeedom. I always thought you HAD to only play the notes from the scale.

Thanks for setting me free buddy cool.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 24 2019, 07:35 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 24 2019, 01:50 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for the videos, I'll watch both later! smile.gif

Nice to know that you are enjoying the chromatic notes. We worked on this gradually since it's essential to see the chord tones and pentatonics before adding the chromatic notes.

Enjoy and keep me updated!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 25 2019, 06:21 PM
Hello Gab,

I'm in the county of Cheshire until Monday.

I hope you liked the video clips.

I have to admit I had forgotten the arpeggios /chord tones so as I had a small amount of time while my wife took a shower in our hotel room, I got my Snapdragon out and tried to get them back into my fingers. Doing this raised one small question as I'm a little confused and I apologise as it is theory related. I noticed that in the arpeggios for the 7 chords with the root on the A string, one of the notes is from the A major pentatonic but for those chords with the root on the A, you said to play the minor pentatonic. Is this something to do with pentatonic not being a full 7 note scale? And does that note appear in both major and minor full scales?

I need to make some notes to condense the scale, chord and arpeggio information on one page, it would be great if we as students could create these things in the scale generator (I know we can create anything and save the url) and save it in our personal revision folder. Do you think that's possible for Kris?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2019, 07:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 25 2019, 02:21 PM) *
Hello Gab,

I'm in the county of Cheshire until Monday.

I hope you liked the video clips.

I have to admit I had forgotten the arpeggios /chord tones so as I had a small amount of time while my wife took a shower in our hotel room, I got my Snapdragon out and tried to get them back into my fingers. Doing this raised one small question as I'm a little confused and I apologise as it is theory related. I noticed that in the arpeggios for the 7 chords with the root on the A string, one of the notes is from the A major pentatonic but for those chords with the root on the A, you said to play the minor pentatonic. Is this something to do with pentatonic not being a full 7 note scale? And does that note appear in both major and minor full scales?

Enjoy your journey mate!! 😊

The fast answer is, because it sounds good! You can play Minor Penta over the three chords and it will sound good. Switching to Major Penta over the first chord makes makes your phrasing sound more like “following the chords”.

The theory behind this is a bit advanced at this point for our work here. As Pentatonics are not full scales, this minor pentatonic shape include notes from the full scale that works for both the IV, and the V. This full scale is Mixolydian Mode.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 25 2019, 02:21 PM) *
I need to make some notes to condense the scale, chord and arpeggio information on one page, it would be great if we as students could create these things in the scale generator (I know we can create anything and save the url) and save it in our personal revision folder. Do you think that's possible for Kris?

Cheers

Phil

That’s not a bad idea. I have no idea if it’s doable easily. You could share your request at the forum.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 28 2019, 07:20 AM
Thanks Gab,

I thought it was something to do with pentatonic being partial scale and some scales sharing some notes.

I can do the revision note thing by sending myself a PM with the diagrams in wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2019, 01:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 28 2019, 03:20 AM) *
Thanks Gab,

I thought it was something to do with pentatonic being partial scale and some scales sharing some notes.

I can do the revision note thing by sending myself a PM with the diagrams in wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

Yeah! When playing a mode, you can also play 7 different Pentatonic scales. That's why this sounds good, and gives a "mixo feel".

In this video, Scott Henderson talks about this powerful but very simple concept:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 28 2019, 09:24 PM
Cheers buddy,

Sent a PM, in the pm you will notice that the A7 chord with root on 6th string has two notes on the B string, this is just because of my difficulty using my pinky and is there to remind me to try the pinky wink.gif

There are also the two pentatonic shapes, I know the minor and the major now so I haven't put them on the list. I just need to get all of that other stuff to be second nature wink.gif

My current injury has hindered me slightly but having that info all in one place is great and saves a lot of time going through our thread looking for it all.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 29 2019, 06:17 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 29 2019, 03:20 PM
Instructor
Checking it now!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 29 2019, 08:42 PM
Thanks Gab,

I found the error, I wasn't paying enough attention. One string over rolleyes.gif

Here is my current revision to get second nature. I've saved the code to Word so that I can add and subtract easily as we move along. I think I have a lot of work to do here at the moment (for now) to get this to all be second nature.

Looking at the diagrams like this gives a great way to analyse the chord/arpeggio/triad relationships, do you agree?

Thank you

Phil

A7 dominant chord root on 6th. Move shape to get chord required.

A7 Arpeggio. Move shape to match root of chord.

A7 Triad #1

A7 Triad #2

D7 dominant chord root on 5th. Move shape to get chord required.

A minor pentatonic Scale:

A Major Pentatonic Scale

D7 arpeggio.
Not yet given

D7 Triads:
Not yet given

Gab https://youtu.be/N8OJsNlv1c0

Robben Ford https://youtu.be/xhv0xhPpzP4

Solo and rhythm https://youtu.be/OoE0PQNjW9Q

Soft touch video.
https://youtu.be/ixcfVBdsV9I
[/quote]

This post has been edited by Phil66: May 29 2019, 08:44 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 29 2019, 09:31 PM
Instructor
Yes! Well done Phil! It's good to have all this stuff together.

On a side note, in these lessons I apply these same arpeggios and triads:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...t-that-shuffle/

The second one is more complex because I add many new shapes:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-get-that-shuff

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 30 2019, 08:08 AM
Thanks Gab,

I haven't had chance to watch those yet but I will in my next session. When I see all of the stuff I have to work on in one place like that above, it is more motivating, when I have to keep searching for it is a little bit off putting. That's why I think the revision folder is a helpful idea. I spoke to Kris about it but by now I'm using the PM system wink.gif

I think you may have missed this https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=768662

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 30 2019, 02:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 30 2019, 04:08 AM) *
Thanks Gab,

I haven't had chance to watch those yet but I will in my next session. When I see all of the stuff I have to work on in one place like that above, it is more motivating, when I have to keep searching for it is a little bit off putting. That's why I think the revision folder is a helpful idea. I spoke to Kris about it but by now I'm using the PM system wink.gif

I think you may have missed this https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=768662

Cheers buddy.

Yes! that's a very good idea. If it's comfortable for you, I can start a new thread called "Phil's Revision Folder" where we don't talk, so you can post there all the stuff that you want to have in the same place, what do you think?

We can solve this with a new thread for now...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 30 2019, 03:08 PM
That would be great Gab, thank you, and there will come a day when you find the words "by now" sounding alien to you wink.gif

Nice one on both counts buddy, the new thread and the English cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 30 2019, 04:02 PM
Instructor
Revision folder thread: https://tinyurl.com/y5zxzn9x

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 30 2019, 05:55 PM
Thank you very much buddy, nice one cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 96 97 98 99 100 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:28 PM