What Came First? Melody Or Rhythm?
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 17 2010, 12:48 PM
GMC Founder
Today's lesson features nice melodies by Laszlo suitable for all levels of playing.

To me the melody is the most important thing in music - however the way you approach writing music/melodies is not always obvious, so...

What came first? The Melody or the Rhythm? When you create songs what do you typically create first?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 17 2010, 01:03 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
For me it's rhythm. But I've been told by my friend that starting with the melody is the approach for making hit songs wink.gif ...and I belive him since he had some success while I had none laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Nov 17 2010, 04:24 PM
GMC:er
I'm not sure which is first since the rhythm is part of a good melody, but I believe I am thinking more about the melody first.

In general however, I'd have to point out that our very own human heartbeat suggests that the rhythm "came first" when it comes to the "chicken or the egg" style of question.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Karl-ss
Nov 17 2010, 04:33 PM
Rhythm! Heavy chunky brutal rhythms! Lulz.

--------------------
METAL UP YOURS!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 17 2010, 07:14 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
When I'm composing its often rhythm first but it should definitive be way around - starting with a melodies in order to have strong song (depending on the style you are playing).

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Nov 17 2010, 07:14 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 17 2010, 09:03 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Definitely melody for me too. Melody is what touches my heart in a song smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 18 2010, 12:03 AM
What a killer question! It truly is the Chicken and the egg problem and I don't have a one way answer. I wish I did though. I usually start with rythm and as I'm writing I'll actually hear the lead play itself as if I've got nothing to do with it. Then I record the rythm part and start "learning" the lead as it's written by then and it's almost like I'm just learning it by ear finding the notes as my brain is on "playback".

However, when I'm improvising live, I almost have to turn my brain off and just it happen. Leads are easier for me to do live and off the cuff than rythm would be Writing rythm parts in real time is tough. Melody and lead seem much easier on the fly. So I guess for me, Rythm comes first when recording, melody/lead comes first when playing live.

Great thread smile.gif Well done Kris.

Todd

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 18 2010, 01:52 AM
Instructor
this is for great debate. But to me, it's been melody. Although I've had interesting results starting with rhythm or harmony,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 18 2010, 11:15 AM
GMC Founder
It's funny because melody has always been the big thing for me - however when writing music with Marcus (Lavendell) I learned that starting with the riffs/arrangement actually works better for me... so my advise would be for you to try both.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 23 2010, 06:37 PM
Instructor
Both are equally important, and bound to each other. Silence is just as important as the notes in music.

When composing, it's cool to start from a vocal melody and a riff on a guitar. I believe all good songs need strong melody on vocal and then - good rhythm. Lead guitar lines can be compared to some extent to lead vocal lines - they need to have strong melody and strong rhythm to support the notes within the melody and give them proper weight.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
elmopablo
Nov 24 2010, 01:46 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 17 2010, 11:03 PM) *
What a killer question! It truly is the Chicken and the egg problem and I don't have a one way answer. I wish I did though. I usually start with rythm and as I'm writing I'll actually hear the lead play itself as if I've got nothing to do with it. Then I record the rythm part and start "learning" the lead as it's written by then and it's almost like I'm just learning it by ear finding the notes as my brain is on "playback".

However, when I'm improvising live, I almost have to turn my brain off and just it happen. Leads are easier for me to do live and off the cuff than rythm would be Writing rythm parts in real time is tough. Melody and lead seem much easier on the fly. So I guess for me, Rythm comes first when recording, melody/lead comes first when playing live.

Great thread smile.gif Well done Kris.

Todd

hi Todd
I am no expert but i believe you answered your own question. I mean... if your are thinking of the melody as you write the rythm then obviously , even though you haven't actually physically written the melody it is still there as you create the rhythm. Perhaps the way you write is the rhythm kick starts your mind in creating a melody and then the process is reversed. i. e the melody automatically comes and you follow with the rhythm.
Anyway i guess we are talking philosophically and it really doesnt matter what u do. The good thing is you are doing something.
cheers
Elmo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:22 AM