2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Tube Amps?, Are they really worth it???
sidewas lightnin...
Jun 16 2008, 02:00 PM
GMC:er
So..... First I want to get this straight. I don't need a new amp. I recently got a nice little line six practice amp. And I'm not really good enough to be doing live performances at this point.

But I do want to join a band in the next few years, and I just wanted this cleared up-

IS A VALVE AMP SO MUCH BETTER THAN A SOLID STATE???

I see a ton of my favorite players using nothing but valves. They have great tone and such- but theyre expensive. A solid state 50 watt combo can cost hundreds less than a valve one. And, having compared the two (but briefly), I think, is it worth it dry.gif ? Any experience you may have with this type of amp is very useful to me...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 16 2008, 02:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
YES they are soo much better. Compere two at maximum level and you'll know why.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 16 2008, 02:10 PM
Simple answer: Yes smile.gif

Tube Amps are awesome when you crank the volume. Beautiful sound. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jun 16 2008, 02:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 16 2008, 08:10 AM) *
Simple answer: Yes smile.gif

Tube Amps are awesome when you crank the volume. Beautiful sound. smile.gif

what he said

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 16 2008, 02:47 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
There are some extremely good transistor/solid state amps around: Roland Jazz Chorus, Yamaha DG1000 preamp, H&K Zentera for instance. However they aren't cheap either: JC100 is about 1000Euros new and the Zentera more like 3000 - DG1000 (if you can find one) are a few hundred euros used plus the cost of a good power amp and cab.

So arguably a good SS is not worlds away in price from a lot of tube amps. Where a SS wins out is it's usually easy to keep and maintain and the volume and tone tends to be linear across the range - tube amps really only start to win out when cranked. Also most SS do crystal clean very well. Where they often lose out is they lack the multiple order harmonics - and therefore richness and musicality of tone - of a cranked valve amp.

Best way to check the difference though is to go in to a friendly guitar shop and try them out back to back at high volume.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jun 16 2008, 04:37 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
At home all those modeling amps are perfectly fine, but in the studio or on stage I would always pick a tube amp!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 16 2008, 04:39 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 16 2008, 03:47 PM) *
There are some extremely good transistor/solid state amps around: Roland Jazz Chorus, Yamaha DG1000 preamp, H&K Zentera for instance. However they aren't cheap either: JC100 is about 1000Euros new and the Zentera more like 3000 - DG1000 (if you can find one) are a few hundred euros used plus the cost of a good power amp and cab.

So arguably a good SS is not worlds away in price from a lot of tube amps. Where a SS wins out is it's usually easy to keep and maintain and the volume and tone tends to be linear across the range - tube amps really only start to win out when cranked. Also most SS do crystal clean very well. Where they often lose out is they lack the multiple order harmonics - and therefore richness and musicality of tone - of a cranked valve amp.

Best way to check the difference though is to go in to a friendly guitar shop and try them out back to back at high volume.

Cheers,
Tony

I was going to say something like this, but you said it perfectly smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2008, 04:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Jun 16 2008, 12:37 PM) *
At home all those modeling amps are perfectly fine, but in the studio or on stage I would always pick a tube amp!

100% agree smile.gif . Now that I have my Podx3 live I use it all the time at home for practicing and recording demos but live and for recording I preffer my tube amp.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 16 2008, 06:20 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
At home I use a POD X3 Live, works perfectly well. From time to time I do want to play my Classic 30 tube amp at home and the difference is huge. While the POD X3 tried to do it, a real full tuber actually does it for real.

Compare eating a luxurous dinner compared to fast food, where the tube amp is the luxurous dinner.
Compare kissing a real girl vs. practicing on your little sisters dolls, where the tube amp is the real girl.
Compare the roar from a 600 Hp V8 to the noise from a pneumatic drill at a construction site, where the 600Hp V8 is the tube amp.

Fast food, dolls and pneumatic drills are all good but can't beat luxury dinners, girls and a V8 when you want the real thing.

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jun 16 2008, 07:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 16 2008, 07:20 PM) *
Compare eating a luxurous dinner compared to fast food, where the tube amp is the luxurous dinner.

really graphic mate !! tongue.gif Tube amps are the best smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bluesrock
Jun 16 2008, 07:46 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 16 2008, 07:20 PM) *
Compare kissing a real girl vs. practicing on your little sisters dolls, where the tube amp is the real girl.

Do i detect repressed memories ph34r.gif
hehe just jokin tongue.gif
I've got a ss with a tube pre-amp. never had much chance to compare it as its only the 2nd amp i've had

This post has been edited by Bluesrock: Jun 16 2008, 07:46 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2008, 07:49 PM
Instructor
I would agree with everyone here and say tube amp is really way better then a solidstate one. But still you have to be careful what you choose. As many said, tube amps deliver great sound when crancked so be carefull not to take too big amp.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 16 2008, 07:57 PM
Lets go fishing!
Its also worth noteing that if you want a really nice high gain tube amp your looking at big bucks typically !

The average home players budget might buy a fender blues Junior, a Vox AC15cc or something similar. Great clean amps, but they dont do high gain sounds well, even with pedals.

I like the sounds of Mesa Boogie, high end Marshalls, Soldano etc and I could never afford these for home use, thats where the Pod saved the day smile.gif

I would take a Mesa Boogie tube amp over anything if I had the cash biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 16 2008, 07:58 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Tube is great for gigs and recording, but for home I would always recommend solid state...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 16 2008, 07:58 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I think it's safe to say, that if you'll use the amp for home practice and later just practice with a band you can just as well buy a good solid state (and they can be really good).. And then if you're starting to play live shows and get more serious about playing and start recording proffesionally you can buy a tube amp smile.gif

Sorry, but there is no need to buy a good tube amp for practice at home..

A good solid state amp is better than a bad tube amp IMO smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 16 2008, 09:44 PM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jun 16 2008, 08:58 PM) *

If my neighbor complained about my silent practice with POD X3 and headphones, you can imagine a cranked up tube amp...

I am not very experienced with tube amps, but I tested a JCM-2000 in a store using a Gibson Les Paul custom. Oh yeah, that's the real thing! cool.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 16 2008, 09:46 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Jun 17 2008, 01:14 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 16 2008, 09:47 AM) *

Cheers,
Tony

good advice... taking another trip to the sam ash store will sort out this problem! Then I can be disappointed when I don't have enough cash! biggrin.gif Its seriously terrible to go there and look at all of the shiny, wonderful guitar stuff... Playing with effects pedals just kills me, you know? tongue.gif better save up some money so I can see why everybody thinks theyre so wonderful.

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jun 16 2008, 02:58 PM) *
I think it's safe to say, that if you'll use the amp for home practice and later just practice with a band you can just as well buy a good solid state (and they can be really good).. And then if you're starting to play live shows and get more serious about playing and start recording proffesionally you can buy a tube amp smile.gif

A good solid state amp is better than a bad tube amp IMO smile.gif

Youre absolutely right! which means I can get back to practicing, working, and dreaming! smile.gif

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Jun 17 2008, 01:25 PM
Instructor
Tube for ever, but a cheap tube amp don't sound as good as an expensive tube amp...so many time an amp modeler will sound quite good if not better compared to a cheap tube amp.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jun 18 2008, 12:12 AM
As time goes by, your ears will develop along with your ability to play guitar. If you can tell a difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp now, you will be able to tell a large difference down the road. You will also be able to tell a difference between tube amps. Take note of what all the professional players use. That should answer your question.

My at-home practice amp is solid state. But, nothing can beat the organic tone of a tube amp at volume. Consider that tube amps can be a real pain to maintain, because they are tube-driven. Yet, they are the choice of just about any top player you can think of. And, as far as tube amps go, you get what you pay for. When the time comes, get the best amp you can. Boogie, Marshall, VHT, ENGL, and Fender come to mind...

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Jun 20 2008, 11:32 AM
Instructor
For Sure wink.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:13 AM