3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Gitarrero Mtp Thread - July
Gitarrero
Jul 15 2010, 11:50 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan!
So, I've been practicing the last days and came up with this take. I made two little mistakes in the middle, but overall I am pretty happy with this try.
I think we should go for the ska walking bass lesson as a rec take, the other lesson might be a little fast for me at this time...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 15 2010, 02:31 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 15 2010, 12:50 PM) *
Hi Bogdan!
So, I've been practicing the last days and came up with this take. I made two little mistakes in the middle, but overall I am pretty happy with this try.
I think we should go for the ska walking bass lesson as a rec take, the other lesson might be a little fast for me at this time...

Very good job! Tell me how do you feel about the concepts covered so far? Is the chord>note choice pallet opening up?
Since you are getting good with the concepts and theory behind the playing, lets address one important technique issue in our next assignment. Generally you need to have notes ringing in full duration and pauses between them as small as possible and in this (and previous take) you had some problems with it. But its easy to fix.

Weekly assignment 3:

Legato and Staccato

Lesson to practice:

Legato and Staccato lesson : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bass_F...o_and_Staccato/

Goal : To notice the difference between legato and staccato.

Purpose : Learn how to control the sustain of the notes.

Instructions :

I want you to go through the lesson material. Please record 5 short exercises that are included in the lesson against a drum backing track. You can use ones I sent you before 80-100 bpm ones.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done.
As the weekly assignment, record 5 included exercises covering legato vs staccato playing.

Deadline to complete:21th of July

Let me know if you need any help!

SKA Bass for REC sounds great! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jul 15 2010, 02:31 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 15 2010, 03:15 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan, sounds like a great and useful lesson, I think I really need to train my sustain of the notes.
I'll keep you updated regularly from now on!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 15 2010, 05:29 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 15 2010, 04:15 PM) *
Hi Bogdan, sounds like a great and useful lesson, I think I really need to train my sustain of the notes.
I'll keep you updated regularly from now on!

I'm glad you like the lesson. This is actually a very important topic to study. Also this is most neglected topic. Let me know your impressions once you start practicing...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 19 2010, 07:23 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan!
Well, I promised to keep you updated more often now, but I had some unforeseen internet connection difficulties at my girlfriends place this weekend...hope this won't happen again, as I am moving in with her next month!
Anyway, it was going well so far, but I had some problems with my picking fingers when playing staccato, meaning I often used the same finger two times in a row...
Anyway, here is my take at 120 bpm. What do you think?

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 19 2010, 08:53 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 19 2010, 08:23 PM) *
Hi Bogdan!
Well, I promised to keep you updated more often now, but I had some unforeseen internet connection difficulties at my girlfriends place this weekend...hope this won't happen again, as I am moving in with her next month!
Anyway, it was going well so far, but I had some problems with my picking fingers when playing staccato, meaning I often used the same finger two times in a row...
Anyway, here is my take at 120 bpm. What do you think?

Hello my friend! Very nice to have a new take from you. This is pretty good. I bet you didn't think in practice much about legato and staccato before and only being aware of this will improve your playing. Staccato only sounded very good - its ok to play with same finger there as long as it doesn't interfere speed on which it needs to be played. Legato only was pretty good too, maybe a little less connected when descending the scale. Try to really connect those notes one over the other. Mixed takes sounded pretty well, could be tighter. Now what I would recommend is practicing some more last two exercises (they are hardest to play to) in order to get clean legato transition and then clean and tight staccato note (in both combination covered in two exercises).

This video will be good enough for this assignment take, so I'll post your final assignment later tonight...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 19 2010, 09:06 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan,

thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you liked my take! And yes, I had the biggest problems with the combination of legato and staccato, but I will include this lesson into my daily practice routine.
I'm looking forward to the next assignment!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 19 2010, 11:09 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 19 2010, 10:06 PM) *
Hi Bogdan,

thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you liked my take! And yes, I had the biggest problems with the combination of legato and staccato, but I will include this lesson into my daily practice routine.
I'm looking forward to the next assignment!

Weekly assignment 4:

Walking Bass Concept 3

Lesson to practice:

Walking Bass Concept 3 : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/walking-bass-concept-3/

Goal : To learn to improvise walking bass lines on the spot.

Purpose : Learn how to use triads in improvisation.

Instructions :

Since this lesson will combine material from previous 2 we covered I want you to go free style here. You actually don't even need to check out the original bass line I played (only do it if you lack inspiration). Use roots, 5ths and 3rds for improvising a line in 2 feel.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done.
As the weekly assignment, record your improvisation over the backing track. I'll post the backing in a few days.

Deadline to complete:26th of July

Let me know if you need any help!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 22 2010, 08:59 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan!

Just wanted to let you know that I am jamming along to the assigned lesson every day for 15 minutes, after warming up with some of the previous assignments. It's working well so far, so if you post the BT I can make a decent recording.

See you!

Christian

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 22 2010, 09:09 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 22 2010, 09:59 PM) *
Hi Bogdan!

Just wanted to let you know that I am jamming along to the assigned lesson every day for 15 minutes, after warming up with some of the previous assignments. It's working well so far, so if you post the BT I can make a decent recording.

See you!

Christian

Sounds great!

Here is the backing track: Attached File  120.mp3 ( 688.29K ) Number of downloads: 185

Looking forward to your take!

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 22 2010, 09:34 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan, here we go!

I tried to concentrate on the sustain of the notes, but it didn't work all that well on every note, especially when I fret with my pinky I realized some problems with sustain. Gotta work on that a little more!

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Jul 22 2010, 09:34 PM

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 23 2010, 01:33 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 22 2010, 10:34 PM) *
Hi Bogdan, here we go!

I tried to concentrate on the sustain of the notes, but it didn't work all that well on every note, especially when I fret with my pinky I realized some problems with sustain. Gotta work on that a little more!

Very good work man! I like your improv and note choice. I hope its fun for you to be able to instantly play jazz walking like this. I think you understood well the theory and concept behind it but you have to work more on your performance. Your left hand is a bit stiff and you are having problems with sustain of notes. You need to play them in full duration and let them overlap each other in order to have bass bottom present all the time through the song. Playing 2 feel is not easy because of this. Keep paying attention to that part of the performance as you can see here its not that much which notes you play but how - in order to get a good walking bass line.

I want you to congratulate you on finishing all your assignments for July. Now you only have the REC take left and then we can continue to the next month of MTP.

Keep up the good work and let me know if you have any questions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 23 2010, 01:52 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan!
Thanks for your feedback. I realized that my left hand was a bit stiff, maybe because I was improvising and therefore wasn't 100% sure which note I would play next. At least that was the impression I had when playing...hope you understand what I mean.
But you're right, I understand the theory behind it and it's a lot of fun to be able to play walking bass!
I am working on the REC-assignment right now and will submit a take on monday, since next week I am moving out of my place and have to pack all my stuff and bring it to my girlfriend's place. So I probably won't be able to record any takes from wednesday to sunday next week. Shouldn't be much of a problem though, as I think we are in time with our MTP. Can't wait for the next month, though it will be our final one with the MTP...I'll definitely gon on playing bass, I'm just not sure if I can afford private lessons right now. But I'll stick with your lessons and post my takes in the rec section, so hopefully I'll get some feedback from you there!
See you!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 24 2010, 10:44 AM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 23 2010, 02:52 PM) *
Hi Bogdan!
Thanks for your feedback. I realized that my left hand was a bit stiff, maybe because I was improvising and therefore wasn't 100% sure which note I would play next. At least that was the impression I had when playing...hope you understand what I mean.
But you're right, I understand the theory behind it and it's a lot of fun to be able to play walking bass!
I am working on the REC-assignment right now and will submit a take on monday, since next week I am moving out of my place and have to pack all my stuff and bring it to my girlfriend's place. So I probably won't be able to record any takes from wednesday to sunday next week. Shouldn't be much of a problem though, as I think we are in time with our MTP. Can't wait for the next month, though it will be our final one with the MTP...I'll definitely gon on playing bass, I'm just not sure if I can afford private lessons right now. But I'll stick with your lessons and post my takes in the rec section, so hopefully I'll get some feedback from you there!
See you!

It just takes some practice. I would recommend practicing your sustain with walking bass lines like this (2 feel!). They are great for pointing out on your weaknesses if you are lacking control there. If you just want to practice your sustain, play the same pattern over all chords in order to focus on the technique part of performance.

Yes we are in front of schedule now which is great. Record the REC take when you are ready. Next month is our final one but later on you can always upload your takes for feedback etc in my boards! I'll be glad to help. smile.gif

I think you made quite some progress during these 2 months of MTP, so keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 27 2010, 03:49 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan,
I just realised that I don't have the BT for the ska bass lesson...could you please upload it? I'd like to record it today.
Thanks!

Christian

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 27 2010, 06:42 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 27 2010, 04:49 PM) *
Hi Bogdan,
I just realised that I don't have the BT for the ska bass lesson...could you please upload it? I'd like to record it today.
Thanks!

Christian

Hi Christian,

you can find the backing track in this thread : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=29154

Let me know when you have the take ready! smile.gif

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 28 2010, 07:37 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan,

sorry I couldn't make the recording yesterday. Now I'm afraid I can do it on sunday, because I have packed all my recording stuff together yesterday evening and brought it to my new place. As I still live in my old flat for the next 4 days and have lots of stuff to do (cleaning...) sunday is the earliest day I can submit a take...
Anyway, it works pretty good so far, some parts are a bit fast and my playing sounds kinda sloppy in these parts, but maybe I can work on it until sunday.

See you!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 28 2010, 11:18 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 28 2010, 08:37 PM) *
Hi Bogdan,

sorry I couldn't make the recording yesterday. Now I'm afraid I can do it on sunday, because I have packed all my recording stuff together yesterday evening and brought it to my new place. As I still live in my old flat for the next 4 days and have lots of stuff to do (cleaning...) sunday is the earliest day I can submit a take...
Anyway, it works pretty good so far, some parts are a bit fast and my playing sounds kinda sloppy in these parts, but maybe I can work on it until sunday.

See you!

Hey! Don't worry, Sunday sounds fine! smile.gif Just try not to be too late so we can start the new month of mtp! smile.gif

Have fun moving to a new place! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 1 2010, 12:22 AM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 28 2010, 08:37 PM) *
Hi Bogdan,

See you!

P.s. You can alternatively record a REC take of any walking bass concept lesson we covered this month (you have those backings posted already) ! Looking forward to your take smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Aug 1 2010, 06:49 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Bogdan, sorry but I can't submit a take today, but will be able to do it tomorrow. I just finished moving and am still unpacking my stuff in my girlfriends flat...

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:09 PM