First Live (in Real Life) Playing In 5 Years Or So
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 14 2022, 11:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
I think I made it sound like a big event in the other thread. It wasn't. And maybe the performance wasn't too bad considering the circumstances. No sound check for me, no rehearsal, not even 30 seconds, and they played the song differently than what I knew and had been told. I also thought the other guitar player was gonna play rhythm guitar. I just wish I had had 30 seconds to make sure things were working and that they didn't start the song before I even had my guitar plugged in or amp turned on - that part is not on the video, luckily laugh.gif

I feel a bit better about it after seeing the video, as at the time it felt like a horror show (mostly from the surrounding circumstances) and me trying to wing it the best I could.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 14 2022, 01:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
Huge congrats!!! That's an awesome video and a great performance!!! Also, your tone is really cool. smile.gif

The funny thing is that when you sent me the video, I was afraid to push the play button. biggrin.gif Knowing your story about the show, I expected to see something very bad.
I'm happy that things turned out so great. Ben, you should be very proud.
As I told you....you look and sound great on stage. I hardly wait to see a new live from you. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Apr 14 2022, 01:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great job man! Sounded excellent. It's nice to have some room to move around like that.

I've been admiring that Ibanez of yours for a while now from different videos I have seen. What's the story on that, model etc. ?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 14 2022, 02:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 14 2022, 02:28 PM) *
Huge congrats!!! That's an awesome video and a great performance!!! Also, your tone is really cool. smile.gif

The funny thing is that when you sent me the video, I was afraid to push the play button. biggrin.gif Knowing your story about the show, I expected to see something very bad.
I'm happy that things turned out so great. Ben, you should be very proud.
As I told you....you look and sound great on stage. I hardly wait to see a new live from you. smile.gif

Thank you, Monica smile.gif

I was worried too, because I had not seen the video last night and it felt like it had gone very wrong. I was thinking: "never going to play live again!". Now I'm happier.

QUOTE (FreePizza @ Apr 14 2022, 02:54 PM) *
Great job man! Sounded excellent. It's nice to have some room to move around like that.

I've been admiring that Ibanez of yours for a while now from different videos I have seen. What's the story on that, model etc. ?

Thanks!

I don't think there's a big story behind it. It's an RG3570Z. I bought it used - and the price has gone up quite a bit since 2015 (doubled). It's a really, really great guitar though.

https://reverb.com/item/49183224-ibanez-rg3...2010-laser-blue

Todd can testify too that it's a great guitar smile.gif He had the same model.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Apr 14 2022, 03:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 14 2022, 01:16 PM) *
Todd can testify too that it's a great guitar smile.gif He had the same model.

I really like the blue/yellow and it just looks really playable. You also get some great tone out of it.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 14 2022, 03:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (FreePizza @ Apr 14 2022, 04:05 PM) *
I really like the blue/yellow and it just looks really playable. You also get some great tone out of it.

It's a great guitar and I'd say it's very shred-friendly. Low action, good neck etc. smile.gif

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG3570Z_(2009%E2%80%932011)

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 14 2022, 07:45 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 14 2022, 01:46 AM) *
I think I made it sound like a big event in the other thread. It wasn't. And maybe the performance wasn't too bad considering the circumstances. No sound check for me, no rehearsal, not even 30 seconds, and they played the song differently than what I knew and had been told. I also thought the other guitar player was gonna play rhythm guitar. I just wish I had had 30 seconds to make sure things were working and that they didn't start the song before I even had my guitar plugged in or amp turned on - that part is not on the video, luckily laugh.gif

I feel a bit better about it after seeing the video, as at the time it felt like a horror show (mostly from the surrounding circumstances) and me trying to wing it the best I could.

Well that wasn't so bad and easily could have been worse. I was almost expecting a train wreck after reading your post in the other thread but you did alright and the wheels never fell off.
I think that you may realize that this was actually a good experience for you. Although it was a bit uncomfortable at the time, it was a good learning experience.
Nobody likes to get caught with their pants down so we need to take steps to limit surprises and have good preparation so that we can shine in these situations.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 14 2022, 08:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Apr 14 2022, 08:45 PM) *
Well that wasn't so bad and easily could have been worse. I was almost expecting a train wreck after reading your post in the other thread but you did alright and the wheels never fell off.
I think that you may realize that this was actually a good experience for you. Although it was a bit uncomfortable at the time, it was a good learning experience.
Nobody likes to get caught with their pants down so we need to take steps to limit surprises and have good preparation so that we can shine in these situations.

Yeah, the problem was that I actually tried to communicate with them beforehand but got nothing from them. But I guess you gotta prepare for any scenario and curveball.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Apr 14 2022, 08:24 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 14 2022, 10:10 AM) *
Yeah, the problem was that I actually tried to communicate with them beforehand but got nothing from them. But I guess you gotta prepare for any scenario and curveball.

Sure, gotta prepare as best we can, but sometimes, especially if we can't get any cooperation at all, maybe it's best to just pass.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 14 2022, 09:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Apr 14 2022, 09:24 PM) *
Sure, gotta prepare as best we can, but sometimes, especially if we can't get any cooperation at all, maybe it's best to just pass.

I did tell him afterwards (later in the night) that "if we do this again it would be nice to just have some more clear communication and arrangement" laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 14 2022, 09:33 PM
GMC:er
Looks like things actually went pretty well? Vid looks good and sounds good, audience seems to dig it, etc. I"m sure it probably seemed far worse than it was. When a gig doesnt' go according to plan, it can feel like a horror show when in fact it was fine. cool solo btw!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 14 2022, 04:05 PM) *
I did tell him afterwards (later in the night) that "if we do this again it would be nice to just have some more clear communication and arrangement" laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 14 2022, 09:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 14 2022, 10:33 PM) *
Looks like things actually went pretty well? Vid looks good and sounds good, audience seems to dig it, etc. I"m sure it probably seemed far worse than it was. When a gig doesnt' go according to plan, it can feel like a horror show when in fact it was fine. cool solo btw!

Yeah, it turned out to not be too bad. It was just annoying to have that feeling of "30 seconds of preparation time would have made it 100 times better", but I suppose it wasn't as bad as I had thought smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 14 2022, 10:08 PM
GMC Founder
Awesome Cael - this video really conveys the live interaction between musicians...you just don't get that with backin tracks.

Really cool - well done man 👊

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 14 2022, 10:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 14 2022, 11:08 PM) *
Awesome Cael - this video really conveys the live interaction between musicians...you just don't get that with backin tracks.

Really cool - well done man 👊

(GMC ate my first reply after an edit - no VPN use either this time, so I'll try again)

Thanks!

Just a shame there wasn't good interaction before the playing. I would have liked to have been told there would be no rhythm guitar player, I would have liked to be able to turn on my amp and plug in the pedal before they started the song. And I would have liked to know they played the song in a different way to the original and I would have liked 30 seconds to just adjust my tone/volume smile.gif Should have probably just asked for them to hang on an A minor groove for 30 seconds before playing the song.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 16 2022, 06:24 AM
GMC:er
The good news is the crowd loved it smile.gif Live gigs are always a bit of a crap shoot because you just never know whats going to go wrong no matter how much prep you put in. I hope you get the chance to do it again smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 14 2022, 05:15 PM) *
(GMC ate my first reply after an edit - no VPN use either this time, so I'll try again)

Thanks!

Just a shame there wasn't good interaction before the playing. I would have liked to have been told there would be no rhythm guitar player, I would have liked to be able to turn on my amp and plug in the pedal before they started the song. And I would have liked to know they played the song in a different way to the original and I would have liked 30 seconds to just adjust my tone/volume smile.gif Should have probably just asked for them to hang on an A minor groove for 30 seconds before playing the song.

+Quote Post
Timmez
Apr 16 2022, 04:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Very nice to see you play live Ben 👊

Do you want to pkay more often live?
Did you loved the experience? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Apr 16 2022, 04:52 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Awesome Benjamin
Your playing sound great. Congrat for this jam.
It's dream of all guitarists.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 16 2022, 05:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tflava @ Apr 16 2022, 05:03 PM) *
Very nice to see you play live Ben 👊

Do you want to pkay more often live?
Did you loved the experience? smile.gif

To be honest it was not a good experience. As I said in the other thread, I tried to communicate with them, but I didn't get much information. Suddenly I just got a cue to go join them after 40 minutes. I was told the singer who plays guitar would play rhythm guitar. He did not. They started the song before my amp was plugged in or turned on. They played the song in a different structure and not like the original. I did not even have 10 seconds for a sound check to adjust tone and level. If they had introduced me with "Ben will join us for a song we have not rehearsed or played, so we'll see how it goes!" it would have been fine. They said "now we'll be joined by a guitar virtuoso for the next song".

In the situation it was very frustrating and chaotic and NOT enjoyable. Looking at the video it was okay, because it didn't sound TOO bad. But I felt very restrained by the bad communication and planning around it.

QUOTE (MisterM @ Apr 16 2022, 05:52 PM) *
Awesome Benjamin
Your playing sound great. Congrat for this jam.
It's dream of all guitarists.

Thanks, Manu!

To be honest, it was more of a "nightmare" and not a dream smile.gif See my above reply to Tflava smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Timmez
Apr 16 2022, 06:26 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
That don't sound nice man.
But it can also be a reason to do it again but now with some organised guys.
Im sorry that this was a bad experience.
Ill hope you get a good one soon where you shine with yout guitar playing just like on this place smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 16 2022, 06:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
Seeing the video made me a little happier that I actually got through it without looking too bad smile.gif

I wasn't too nervous about it before hand. I felt pretty comfortable that I could play a decent solo, but when these things started happening I decided not to play some faster passages that I had maybe wanted to play otherwise. It seemed a bit risky then.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 10:16 AM