Getting Practice But No Experience, need help with learning rather than practicing
paintman88
Sep 10 2010, 03:28 AM
GMC:er
i'm having a issue getting experience learning new tricks and methods to me its like music going
in one ear and coming out the other i'm learning tons of songs and styles but i cant seem to actually
learn from it and apply it to my own method.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
ZakkWylde
Sep 10 2010, 03:36 AM
Learning Tone Master
Try to apply what you learned in a lesson in a musical context. For example join a jam session and try out some new licks you aquired in the last blues lesson or write a riff with the triplet rythm you learned in a metal lesson.

It's all about applying what you have learned so that it will stay in your memory!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
paintman88
Sep 10 2010, 03:46 AM
I'll give that a try next time im in session

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Sep 10 2010, 05:41 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm having trouble with the same thing, but one thing I realized is its something that just takes time to develop. To add to what ZakkWylde said, try doing 30 minutes everyday of just jamming out to a drumtrack or even a metronome, and try to make the things you learned work. Its really just a process of trial and error. The key to it is consistency: you have to do it for a significant amount of time almost everyday to see progress.

Don't beat yourself up and or tell yourself you suck, everybody has gone through this, just the ones that succeed are usually the ones that are more persistent. Keep the faith, you can do it:)

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Sep 10 2010, 05:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (paintman88 @ Sep 10 2010, 04:28 AM) *
i'm having a issue getting experience learning new tricks and methods to me its like music going
in one ear and coming out the other i'm learning tons of songs and styles but i cant seem to actually
learn from it and apply it to my own method.

It takes time to" assemble parts of the puzzle", so be persistent.
Do you play in a band? If not, it's time to go and find musicians to play with!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 10 2010, 05:59 AM
Mmm, it seems to me that this kind of thing can only become successful with some amount --even a small amount-- of music theory under your belt. How else can you reliably apply what you already know to what someone else is playing? Sometimes you'll get lucky, sure, like stumbling on a pentatonic superimposition over some power chords that another guy is playing, but that's not going to get you very far or last very long because that type of lucky coincidence is simply outside of your control unless you know what you're doing.

The whole point behind theory is to describe music as a language, and the whole point of language is communication.

It's best to have fun and I understand that a lot of folks mistakenly (my own opinion, I know) view learning as "not fun" but you're also trying to do something that has certain requirements. You're wanting to enjoy music with another person and that requires at least some level of communication. If you think it will be fun to jam with others, then you might have to bow to the inevitable investment in a beginners' level of music theory.

Otherwise you're just shredding in your bedroom on youtube.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 10 2010, 03:17 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Generally I would suggest taking the every lesson to full learning potential. That means in practice if its a Pentatonic Solo lesson - go through the lesson material and learn the solo. Think about which notes/scales you were using. Identify cool sounding phrases. Your next task is when you learn the lesson is to try to improvise your own version to the same backing track! That is where you apply what you have learned.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 10 2010, 09:00 PM
Jazz Instructor
You have to re-learn it in the context of the given song, or harmony progression. Only then it will remain in your memory forever! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 14 2010, 05:22 PM
Instructor
I would say: Get a DAW, open one track (then more) start the metronome and start throwing ideas to it...your own!

by creating your style will have to start to come out

Warning: Art is a love/hate relationship, sometimes you may feel like everything is right, others like you are stuck!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Sep 15 2010, 04:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Sep 14 2010, 06:22 PM) *
I would say: Get a DAW, open one track (then more) start the metronome and start throwing ideas to it...your own!

by creating your style will have to start to come out

Warning: Art is a love/hate relationship, sometimes you may feel like everything is right, others like you are stuck!

100% agree Daniel.
Record yourself, analyse, experiment... and you will learn a lot about your playing. That's the way for fast improvement in my opinion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 16 2010, 07:31 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
You are not alone.. When it comes to improvisation, I am on the same boat. I can practice and do pretty hard lessons now but not improvisation yet, at least not faster parts. It will come with practice, A LOT of practice and start doing your own thing rather than just practicing others lessons.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
emirb
Sep 16 2010, 01:02 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I have a fast&neat solution for you. If you feel that it's a pain in the a** to create your own backings for jamming, go to jamstudio.com and register. it's free, it gives you incredibly easy tool for creating (rather simple) backing tracks, you can choose harmony, progressions, instruments, tempo. And then play the licks you've just learned over THAT track. THEN it will stay in your memory just as Vasilije said (and other).

Try it now, thank me later smile.gif
really, I use it all the time, for me it helps also just to memorize the lesson even before I know how to play completely. Great stuff.
Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 17 2010, 09:57 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (emirb @ Sep 16 2010, 02:02 PM) *
I have a fast&neat solution for you. If you feel that it's a pain in the a** to create your own backings for jamming, go to jamstudio.com and register. it's free, it gives you incredibly easy tool for creating (rather simple) backing tracks, you can choose harmony, progressions, instruments, tempo. And then play the licks you've just learned over THAT track. THEN it will stay in your memory just as Vasilije said (and other).

Try it now, thank me later smile.gif
really, I use it all the time, for me it helps also just to memorize the lesson even before I know how to play completely. Great stuff.
Cheers!

This reminded me of a software called Band In A Box - its a very good tool for improvisation practice as you can program your backing track/progression easily and have it in different styles. Then you can practice the scale you are learning or favorite licks.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:34 AM