2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Buying My First Real Axe
Anese
Oct 11 2016, 12:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello Everybody
ill try to make this post as short as possible but the most important thing I need you to know is that all your thoughts and suggestions will be very much appreciated also add to your consideration that Im left handed beside that I live in Libya and it's almost impossible to find high end quality guitars in here, and looking for lefty real Strat or Gibson or any of the other names makes it even more impossible.

I bought my first guitar from Amazon.com about 3 years ago it was a Yamaya RGX 121 ZL it wasn't something fancy, it had some minor issues in intonation above the 12th fret and you have to tune it about twice every session.
and about playability it cant not say whether its good or bad since this is the only guitar Ive played and never had the chance to try any other guitar.

so when i thought of buying my new axe the options were limited so had to do what I did my first guitar and searched the web for a good deal and the only resource that i know and can trust is Amazon.com ( if you can recommend any other resources then please add in the the reply )

I searched and I came across these three guitars that I need to choose from

my first choice and which I think is best for me is ESP E-II ST-1

second comes the Ibanez Prestige RG Series RG655L

my third option is Gibson USA LPTRFLE5CH1LP

so what do you think ? should I go for the ESP or the Ibby ?
if you gonna ask what tone im looking for or which style im most interested in .. I'll say the im looking for something versatile that can fit in between classic rock/blues and metal.

at the end if you'd say that I should get rid of all three options and you can find me a good deal from your local music shop then Im all open to that as well

Tnx for reading now go ahead and let me know what you think

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 11 2016, 01:22 PM
GMC Founder
These guitars all look good so its mostly a matter of taste. In the phase I am currently in I would go for the ESP or Ibanez.

I checked the pickup specs and you should be able to play most styles on these instruments. (not sure about the Gibson though, as there was no info about coil splitting or pickup models)

QUOTE (Anese @ Oct 11 2016, 01:49 PM) *
at the end if you'd say that I should get rid of all three options and you can find me a good deal from your local music shop then Im all open to that as well

I don't know if Thomann ships to Libya? If they do, you have some options:

* You can order a guitar, and then return it to them if you are not happy with it (safe from Libya?)

* Ask Thomann to PLEK the guitar for you and you will have no surprises as far as playability goes, here is their lefty section: https://www.thomann.de/gb/lefthanded_guitar...tml?filter=true

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Oct 11 2016, 01:57 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Different looking guitars, all of them obviously good enough for anyone! So let your taste decide.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 12 2016, 01:22 PM
Instructor
Yep...all seems to be a good choice if we consider a "blind purchase". Unfortunately guitars are a kind of "living creatures" and I would wait with any kind of excitation until it arrives. Good thing about thoman is your ability to give it back if something goes wrong. I have no experience with Amazon though,,,

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 12 2016, 09:36 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Each of those guitars would be a good deal but each is very different regarding tone. I think that the ESP could be the more versatile of the three ones, but in the end is more a matter of taste.

Some questions that could help you to decide:

- What music style is your favorite?
- Which are your favorite 5 guitarists?
- Favorite band?
- Are you planning to focus on shred, blues, rock, metal, jazz, everything?

This questions can make me easier to suggest the best one for you.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 13 2016, 01:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
what about this one https://www.amazon.com/Schecter-407-Stealth...hecter&th=1

I am left handed also and hated the first time I played a Gibson

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 13 2016, 06:26 AM
GMC:er
I know this will come as a BIG SHOCK to everyone but i'd say BUY THE IBBY!!!!

It's a "Prestige" which is just a spectacular guitar in pretty much every respect. It will keep it's value, it will last you til the end of time if you take care of it, and it will be a JOY to play smile.gif

So there's my .02 smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Tom51
Oct 13 2016, 09:27 AM
Learning Roadie
Maybe as a beginner I should not play with the big guys here tongue.gif

But if I were about to buy a new guitar my first priority would be:
can I PLAY it easily? and then I would check for tone and colour and so on.
So I like thicker necks and shorter scales (like Gibson, PRS) but also a comfortable body shape and for smooth bending stainless steel frets (maybe narrow jumbo) at a low fretbord radius at 12 inch or more. I also do not want more than about 3,5kg in my hands.
So you see my approach comes primarily from a playing perspective.

That is why I do not own for example a Telecaster althoug is sounds fantastic. But its a lot tougher to play it.

Cheers Tom

This post has been edited by Tom51: Oct 13 2016, 09:30 AM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 13 2016, 11:55 AM
All 3 are great quality instruments so your decision will come down to a couple of things:-
Do you want a Tremolo?
How versatile do you want it to be?

If you don't want a Tremolo then it's Gibson all the way!!!
If you do then either of the other 2 are good choices and I'd recommend the ESP as being slightly more versatile. (Sorry Todd!! I love my Ibby's as well!!)
There is, however, a 3rd option. For the same price as the ESP you could buy the Gibson AND a cheaper model Ibanez for having a tremolo.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_jemjrl_wh....z+left_392606_2 (For example)
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Anese
Oct 21 2016, 08:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Thank you all

I really appreciate your suggestions and it really did help me to widened my thinking and came up with a logic decision rolleyes.gif .

I bought the Ibby the first reason to do this is because i simply just want an ibby.

the second reason is: the ibby is about 450 USD cheaper than the ESP and its a (prestige)
so im saving 450 USD over here and with a little bit of more savings Ill be able to buy a Gibson within lets say a year or two and thats will add a new axe to my arsenal and ill be able to cover more tone colors and styles.

the ibby is on its way to (Libya) I already contacted the seller and explained to them that this guitar will go through a lot of airports so I begged them to wrap it carefully and I hope it'll arrive in one piece *fingers crossed* the delivery time will be about 15 days i guess.

I was little worried how im going to get along with the floating trem system I hear its quite a fuss to deal with them
at the begging so ive been watching some vids like how tune them and how to restring them (any videos, tutorials, tips are welcome and please add it in a reply)

Thanks for your feedback

have a nice day all

This post has been edited by Anese: Oct 21 2016, 08:42 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 28 2016, 11:03 PM
Let us know when the axe shows up and take a pic to post so we can take a look! smile.gif I've never attempted shipping a guitar to your part of our world, I imagine it might take a bit to get there. When it does, enjoy the fine Japanese guitar the way it was intended and play like crazy!!! smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 30 2016, 04:06 AM
Learning Roadie
Enjoy that new guitar!

+Quote Post
Anese
Nov 3 2016, 12:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello everyone

I received the axe yesterday from the shipping company.
it was such a joy to take a look at that beautiful piece of art when I opened the case.
I expected to find the case wrapped with bubblewrap but it was just put in a cardboard box without any extra protection even though I called the dealer personally and I explained to them that this package will go through at least 3 airports.
however, the guitar wasn't damaged at all.

I expected the guitar to be in tune and the Trem angle will be adjusted as well but the guitar wasn't sat up at all.
I had to adjust the trem angle (this guitar came with Edge trem system) I also noticed that the saddles were pushed all the way
back so I had to adjust the intonation well.

setting up the trem angle and the intonation took me some time i wasn't all happy about it
but after everything was set and done it was a joy.

here I took some pics, enjoy smile.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

There was a protective nylon film on the the pick guard I noticed that there was some scratches on the film. not a big deal I guess.

Attached Image

This is how I set the trem angle let me know if you have any comments about it.

Attached Image

Thank you all for your help and comments I really appreciate it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 3 2016, 02:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkXvpZrZwk

Go to about 7.25 for setting the angle. Yours looks OK to me though!
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Nov 3 2016, 02:46 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Mirba
Nov 3 2016, 05:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
That is a gorgeous guitar! congrats!
I love the blue and black color combination. How does she play/sound?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2016, 04:54 AM
Mucho Super Congrats smile.gif Enjoy!!! I"d say try .09 gauge strings on it, or perhaps .08 if you are feeling wild smile.gif I'd avoid .10s as that sorta defeats the entire point of having an ibby imho. It's a very expressive instrument, with a very thin neck. It's great for very subtle bending work and articulate note work. If you want to play in drop C flat, I'd say get a 27in scale schecter and string it with 12s smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 5 2016, 10:25 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Beautiful! You'll enjoy owning/playing that for many years. I have an RG1570 and love it, the case are awesome too.

Nice one wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Anese
Nov 6 2016, 12:57 PM
Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Nov 3 2016, 03:39 PM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkXvpZrZwk

Go to about 7.25 for setting the angle. Yours looks OK to me though!
smile.gif

Yea, Thanks Jones,
This is the vid that i actually watched before setting the trem,
If you look closer you will notice that there's small rectangular groved on the side edge of the trem that one should
stay parallel to the guitar body.

QUOTE (Mirba @ Nov 3 2016, 06:16 PM) *
That is a gorgeous guitar! congrats!
I love the blue and black color combination. How does she play/sound?

It plays great , once you know how to set it right and know how you keep it in tune wink.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 5 2016, 05:54 AM) *
Mucho Super Congrats smile.gif Enjoy!!! I"d say try .09 gauge strings on it, or perhaps .08 if you are feeling wild smile.gif I'd avoid .10s as that sorta defeats the entire point of having an ibby imho. It's a very expressive instrument, with a very thin neck. It's great for very subtle bending work and articulate note work. If you want to play in drop C flat, I'd say get a 27in scale schecter and string it with 12s smile.gif

Yea Todd Im more used to 09 gauge but I believe that the strings that came with this guitar are actually less than 09 gauge.
however Im still trying to adapt with this guitar and trying to experiment with it.
the thing im trying to do now is how to tame this beast and keep it in tune.
what happen is that once I set it in tune it plays great for the whole session, then when I come the next day to play I notice that it goes sharp.
maybe this is happening because i usually turn the A\C (at 22 C) on and off in the room where Im playing with it.
any comments, ideas about this ?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 5 2016, 11:25 AM) *
Beautiful! You'll enjoy owning/playing that for many years. I have an RG1570 and love it, the case are awesome too.
yea I'm glad that it came with a case,

Nice one wink.gif

I was hoping that this case will fit my Yamaha RGX 121ZL, but unfortunately it didnt rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 13 2016, 09:50 PM
Todd here smile.gif Just saw this after getting your message. So my email message is a bit moot as you've already started a forum thread about it smile.gif At this point, it's still drifting tune so you really are at the "Take it to the shop" point IMHO. Finding a good local luthier is a good thing. Make sure to ask him to walk you through the fix!

Todd

QUOTE (Anese @ Nov 6 2016, 07:57 AM) *
Yea, Thanks Jones,
This is the vid that i actually watched before setting the trem,
If you look closer you will notice that there's small rectangular groved on the side edge of the trem that one should
stay parallel to the guitar body.

It plays great , once you know how to set it right and know how you keep it in tune wink.gif

Yea Todd Im more used to 09 gauge but I believe that the strings that came with this guitar are actually less than 09 gauge.
however Im still trying to adapt with this guitar and trying to experiment with it.
the thing im trying to do now is how to tame this beast and keep it in tune.
what happen is that once I set it in tune it plays great for the whole session, then when I come the next day to play I notice that it goes sharp.
maybe this is happening because i usually turn the A\C (at 22 C) on and off in the room where Im playing with it.
any comments, ideas about this ?

I was hoping that this case will fit my Yamaha RGX 121ZL, but unfortunately it didnt rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Anese
Nov 17 2016, 01:12 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 13 2016, 10:50 PM) *
Todd here smile.gif Just saw this after getting your message. So my email message is a bit moot as you've already started a forum thread about it smile.gif At this point, it's still drifting tune so you really are at the "Take it to the shop" point IMHO. Finding a good local luthier is a good thing. Make sure to ask him to walk you through the fix!

Todd

Hello Todd

we dont have music shops nor guitar tech guys here
lol but let me tell you this SAD FUNNY story
I've been tuning my electric guitar with Amplitube built-in tuner and it's been quiet good to be honest.
however, the day my new guitar arrived, I updated my Antivirus.
so this somehow started to get my sound interface to make that static noise.
and usually when I turn my computer on to start playing my guitar I tune it without turning on my sound monitors or puttin my headphones on.
so I wasn't able to hear that there was something wrong with the sound-interface. and usually when that happen all the notes would show as a full step sharper on the built-in tuner. I was still able to hear the acoustic note being played is right on tune but my ears didnt pay attention and I was just focusing on what I'm seeing on the tuner.

till yesterday when i started tuning and I hit the high E string it showed F# on the tuner but I was like " wait a minute this is a Clear E note thats 100% in tune"

so if fetched my actual tuner that I usually use to tune my classical guitar and found out the all the strings were on tune..
so I said lets check how this actually sounds I put my headphones on and "Oh oh" .. I heard that static noise that made all the trouble..
and all I had to do to fix it is just restart the sound interface and everything was ok.

sorry for confusing you before and thanks for your help tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:10 AM