Practicing Scales, ...and the point is?
Kayo
May 25 2010, 08:48 PM
GMC:er
Hello! smile.gif
This is my first post here at GMC. Really a great community and that europeans work here is also rock'n'roll. biggrin.gif
I want to train my fingers and study scales the best way. I want to practice scale with max. effection. I want to get the full out of it. The time for scales Here is what I wrote down how I think I should practice and how I see it. smile.gif

Lets take the pentatonic scales. The point is first to learn the shapes by hear so I can see it in my minds eye, right?
1. I will take one shape in a day and practice it. I will do the finger flappings and the little movements first. Then I'll work my speed up gradually to my max. or the level where I can play comfortably. Thats just playing the scale up and down.
2. Then maybe I use the same speed I got and play the scale up and down using random direction changes and use longer/shorter note values.
3.Then I'll play in intervals. Each day with 2 different intervals? Lets say in 3rds. And all the other intervals the next days. This is good for my fingers and trains the ear aswell.
4. Then I'll play four notes in a line aka 1-2-3-4 pattern. This is very good for my fingers.
5. Then what? I know I got something here but is it good enough or am I missing something? Will I get better at the guitar by just doing this?

PS!Sorrry for my english. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 26 2010, 12:47 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
5. You should play that scale against a chord/backing track to practice improvising and phrasing. Best way to get to know the scales is to actually use them in improvisation. At first it may sound weird and you won't be able to get great phrases - but after some time it will sound as it should - cool!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Arrival
May 26 2010, 09:48 PM
Once you understand the positions and intervals, it's time to make music. Start slow and try to play what you hear in your head. You'll see improvement and grow familiarity with the fretboard.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 27 2010, 02:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
on reflection of my learning scales, I wish I had spent as much time memorizing chords - where all of them are on the neck and their letter-names. If you memorize the chord shapes and where each one is by letter, you'll be a much more rounded player, and it will help your scales as well, since they are all related.

Christian A.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Kayo
May 27 2010, 01:59 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 27 2010, 01:18 AM) *
on reflection of my learning scales, I wish I had spent as much time memorizing chords - where all of them are on the neck and their letter-names. If you memorize the chord shapes and where each one is by letter, you'll be a much more rounded player, and it will help your scales as well, since they are all related.

Christian A.
Okay, I'll keep those things in mind. Thank you all. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Kayo: May 27 2010, 02:04 PM

+Quote Post
sted
May 27 2010, 02:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
Practicing scales is as much about improving technique as it is about the actual scale, you should try and play the same scale all over the fretbaord to get you used to finding those notes at the drop of a hat instead of limiting yourself to one position and just practicing that over and over, once you have all the different positions covered you can stat looking at two or even three octave scale runs and what chords they work over too.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 27 2010, 04:00 PM
Instructor
It's crucial that you learn the chords. Without them it would be relatively difficult to create music. Try to remember what chords go well together. Chords are sorted within keys, they have unique progressions that are always the same.

Try learning chords from C major key first. These would be:

C
Dm
Em
G
F
Am
Bm7b5

These 7 chords are great skill to learn over the entire fretboard. Not only will your rhythm skills improve but also lead work too, because you will form more stronger bond between melody and harmony.

Check out my chord workshop series on GMC, if you're interested, or Pedja's lessons on chords. If you need any help, just ask! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jun 3 2010, 12:17 PM
Jazz Instructor
This is good approach. Always work on patterns, and as Bogdan sadi, practice them with backing track.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 11 2010, 02:56 PM
Instructor
Use real songs to use scales and get more inspiration! smile.gif

That should be a natural step....and then use them in your own stuff

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 12 2010, 09:19 AM
Jazz Instructor
Scales are, of course, necessary, but harmony is very much important...
Even more improtant, because trough harmony you learn what to play, I mean, your solos are then substantial.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:55 AM