6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Fatb0t Mtp Thread - Sonofdestiny Mentoree, Lets get rollin'
fatb0t
Jan 15 2009, 03:13 PM
GMC:er
Excellent take, your playing has lots of room into between the notes. The solo felt very alive and melodic. It's very soulful and pretty darn precise. I particularly liked the intro, that fast little run was a nice touch. Your bends are to pitch, I really don't hear any sour notes. Perhaps the middle could use a bit more development, but over all I like it a lot.

You seem to have a good grasp on soloing as well. To add some spice to any solo there is one thing that will always do it, ARPEGGIOS! What do you know about arpeggios?

Before we get into learning any arpeggios we need to learn about intervals, the things that build chords, which are in turn arpeggios.

Theory supplement:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3285
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3342

Expect some questions tongue.gif

I got a arpeggio lesson headed your way sometime today too...so get ready to practice smile.gif

How are those other lessons going by the way?

Can you send me some sample progressions/licks so we can start to form your final song? I'd like to get started on that ASAP, if we finish early we can get into some really crazy stuff!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Jan 15 2009, 03:40 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 15 2009, 07:11 PM
I uploaded a happy song for the change smile.gif

What do I know about arpeggios? Hmm... I don't use them a lot tongue.gif That's what I know haha. And I guess I know that they're chords broken down into separate notes?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Jan 15 2009, 07:13 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  vette_shit.gp5 ( 7.87K ) Number of downloads: 96

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 15 2009, 08:03 PM
Arpeggio Study:

An arpeggio is "is a broken chord, where the notes of the chord are played in succession"

Okay so you now know you're major scale and it's modes to some capacity. You should know your Minor pentatonic pretty well by now. And you know how and what chords come what what scale. Lets learn about some playing arpeggios within a solo.

For a major triad we have three intervals as you know: 1 3 5
For a minor triad we have three intervals differing only by a b3: 1 b3 5

Lets have a visual:

Major triad:

Minor triad:

Do you see how the three intervals keep on repeating across the neck?

This is the first three notes of an A minor triad, try it out on guitar. You can use these for rhythm or for shooting into solos.

Here's a single octave A Min arpeggio:

|-------------------|
|-------------------|
|-------------------|
|-------------------|
|--------------7----|
|----5----8---------|

Here's a two octave A Min arpeggio:

|----------------------------------5----|
|-----------------------------5---------|
|------------------------5--------------|
|-------------------7-------------------|
|--------------7------------------------|
|----5----8-----------------------------|

Do you see how this A Minor two octave arpeggio lies within the A Minor pentatonic scale?

Lets look at some other triad shapes that you should know, especially for when we want to get into sweeping/tapping.

Here we have another Am arpeggio, this one only being 5 strings:

Notice the first note is the root note.

Here is a THIRD Am arpeggio:

So lets take a very basic blues progression Am Dm Am Em Am

Whenever the progression goes back to Am, play the notes from the Am arpeggio. When the progression goes to Dm play the notes from a Dm arpeggio.

David Williman has a very good lessons about arpeggios:
  • https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/improvising-with-arpeggios/
  • https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/triad-arpeggios-lesson/

Make sure you listen to the second video of each lesson where he talks and explains the lesson and gives his wisdom.

What is kinda tough about arpeggios is you absolutely must know what chords are being played at all times. You should really familiarize yourself with the progression before you start off with these arpeggios. You need to change arpeggios every time the chord changes.

Anyways, this isn't the most indepth lesson, but there are lots of resources here on GMC about them. Let me know if you have any questions.
Further reading: http://www.cyberfret.com/arpeggios/index.php

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Jan 15 2009, 08:15 PM

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 15 2009, 09:20 PM
I just got home from work and listened to that guitar pro song you had. The intro seems really very familiar I can't remember exactly what song it reminds me of though. If that's the song you want to do lets do it, all we need to do is expand it a bit more and perhaps add a solo.

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 15 2009, 09:22 PM
I don't know why but it has similarities with Air on the G-string (if you ask me tongue.gif). I didn't write that intro myself by the way. Bassplayer did smile.gif

Oh and the lessons are going pretty allright. I can almost nail the PM-one and the other one... I think only the solo will be a problem. I'm not sure whether I'll get that done before the 22nd, but I'll give it a shot bro wink.gif

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Jan 15 2009, 09:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 16 2009, 02:20 PM
If you could, please record yourself playing the lessons with video. It's difficult for me to critique your technique without seeing you actually playing..

Are you doing any studying of arpeggios yet?

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 18 2009, 03:26 AM
http://www.jazzguitar.be/arpeggio.html

This is a cool website, I find useful information on here from time to time. If you have a moment, check it out.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 20 2009, 01:22 AM
How are you making out? Do you have any samples yet that i can hear? You don't have to have the whole lesson done yet, just curious as to how you're doing.

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 20 2009, 09:35 AM
I haven't had a lot of time for the last couple of days. Funny how life goes busy when you laugh at it haha. Ah well, I will try to record today. I won't get the Alice in Chains solo down I'm afraid.

EDIT: I uploaded the videos. They have mistakes in them, but that's all I've got for you today smile.gif

EDIT II: about the arpeggio study. I don't really know how to approach this. (So much information.. I'm drowning in it) Can you maybe assign me with an arpeggio lesson?

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Jan 21 2009, 04:16 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Video_282.wmv ( 6.44MB ) Number of downloads: 132
Attached File  Video_279.wmv ( 10.61MB ) Number of downloads: 143

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 21 2009, 05:44 PM
PART III:
Hey man happy.gif ,

Good to see you're back and practicing! Dejan’s palm muting work out sounds pretty good. I like the fact that you add embellishments here and there and do things in your way, in your style. The point here isn't to play exactly like the instructor; the point is to learn from their style, their knowledge, and their technique. So I definitely think you have a good handle on Dejan’s lesson. All fingers seem to be moving in sync and on time. No one finger is being left out and no fingers in particular are over used. Thumb placement seems to be fine. Around the 37 second mark I see some slight issues regarding following the backing track, sounds like you just improvised a few notes here and there. Like I said that's okay, we're not aiming for perfection here.

Which brings me to my next point, why couldn't you record yourself attempting the Alice in Chains solo? Judging by your other videos you uploaded there's no doubt you could play at least 1/4 of that solo. If I don't see how you play these things I cannot help you unfortunately sad.gif. Say you're struggling with alternate picking or something, if I see you playing the solo I can figure out where you need help and where you don't. Like I said before, this isn't who can play the best, the point of me mentoring you is to see where you need improvement and give you the tools to make it happen.

So for better or worse upload what you have in full. I don't care what the tempo is or how many mistakes are made I just need to see you play otherwise I can't be much help to you sad.gif

The palm muting exercise should have improved your alternate picking a lot, given you a better sense of rhythm and expanded your knowledge of the minor scale. The Alice in Chains lesson should have improved your rhythm a bit, give that solo a shot! According to the MTP syllabus the 'purpose' of that assignment only requires you playing half of the backing, which you did - and did well. But I know you can do more!

Show me your weaknesses and I can try to make them into your strengths.

-----------

Ok, so I think we need to get you out of your comfort zone a bit. The third week of the MTP is to be dedicated to soloing!

The past two weeks we've talked about the minor pentatonic scale, the natural minor scale, how to build chords from the scales, relative minors, and arpeggios. Now it's time to apply some of this stuff!

Marcus Siepen has a very good pentatonic rock solo. Since you like Slash and guitar slingers like him this is a good solo to learn. It has a catchy melody, fast alternate picking passages, artificial harmonics and brief usage of a scale you haven’t played in the MTP yet, the Harmonic Minor.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...entatonic-solo/ COMPLETE

Muris has a very good soloing lesson that I’d like you to try to learn. It uses arpeggios, soulful bends, and a mode you might not be accustomed to playing in. C Phrygian.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/phrygi...loing-beginner/COMPLETE

Give one -or- both of these lessons a shot.

Also we can’t forget about rhythm right?
Here’s something different for you, funk guitar.
Joe Kataldo does a great funk lesson here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/james-...nk-blues-style/
Remember keep your picking hand constantly on beat! Let me know if you have any issues.

You got till the 28th dude! Have fun, keep me posted on your progress so I can help you. If you need me to record myself playing any of these lessons for you so you can see other angles please let me know.

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Feb 2 2009, 05:36 PM

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 21 2009, 05:56 PM
Haha okay I will give the Alice in Chains solo another shot then. You are probably right that I can play it, but I wouldn't have made it within this time span.

The problem was that I was very uncomfortable with the pulling off. I think pull-offs are my biggest flaw. Especially on the thicker strings and with my pinky I have major problems with it. Also... you know that you sometimes have situations where you have to hammer on with your first finger out of nowhere? I can't do that properly either. Maybe we can work on those next time? smile.gif

I will get to work!

Thanks man.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 21 2009, 09:07 PM
I will definitely look for some lessons on legato and other hammer on and pull off techniques dude.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 21 2009, 09:36 PM
I was checking out of your forum posts, I noticed you're interested in sweeping. Would you have any interest in me whipping up a quick little sweeping lesson for you? I ties directly into the arpeggio lesson I hope you looked at... wink.gif

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Jan 21 2009, 09:36 PM

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 22 2009, 04:16 PM
Sure! Sweeping would be nice smile.gif You're definately getting me out of my comfort zone with that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 22 2009, 05:49 PM
Cool when I go home I'll make something up for ya...

So I've been playing in a few bands recently, usually we stick to 4/4 timing - but lately with a progressive rock group I'm in, the bassist/singer who writes a lot of the material is experimenting with alternate time signatures - like 3/4 (waltz) or a 6/8 time signature... I got a handle of it after a while (...sorta, still can't solo very well in 6/8) but I was thrown off guard at first...

Here is some interesting reading material regarding time signatures - it has backing tracks too. It's just food for thought, not you 'need' to know - but the more knowledge you got the better player you are I believe...

http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/time-signatures/

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 24 2009, 05:51 PM
Hey Jon, I got a question. What is the best way to memorize solos quickly? Technically I don't really have problems with the lessons, but I can't memorize them! Do you have any suggestions or is it just a matter of repeating over and over again?

I also have this problem when I have to practise songs for my band. I just forget sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 25 2009, 02:40 AM
For me it's easiest to memorize solos by learning what scales the guitarist is using. When I know which notes the guy picked and why he picked them it makes it a lot easier to retain. Also a lot of fast solos are repeating patterns, so I try to learn the patterns in every key and different positions, it really helps it sink in.

Forgetting songs I do often to..The thing I do is, listen to the song. A LOT. Like 30 or 40 times in one day....You'll hate the song after listening to it so many times but you'll know it really well by then.

How are you making out with those solo lessons? Any advancement?

Sorry for the lack of sweeping vidoes, been having - quite possibly the strangest weekend ever. So look for something during the week smile.gif

Post some videos!!
Good luck dude

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 25 2009, 11:50 AM
Haha don't worry about it wink.gif I will post a video later on today. From the pentatonics lesson I only have to memorize it, work on timing and learn the last part. Phrygian lesson is memorizing only smile.gif

Any chance you could get me some BTs? unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 25 2009, 06:19 PM
Ok, I will try smile.gif

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 26 2009, 01:45 PM
Check your email =)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:36 AM