3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Presonus Studio One Question
Mertay
Dec 4 2018, 11:53 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 3 2018, 10:05 PM) *
Not tried one mate. Presonus isn't good for me. I'll look for another and try it.

Ok, cause if it happens with a different daw then we'll be sure reaper is not the problem.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 4 2018, 01:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'll get some free trials wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 5 2018, 07:47 PM
Given that it performs fine from what I gather when you are using your internal sound card, it seems there is some sort of issue between your computer and the scarlett. You may have just gotten a bad unit. If it's not to late, I'd see if you can just get a replacement. If you bought from a reputable vendor, they should take it back and just send a new one smile.gif

Also, If I remember correctly, you are just using the scarlett as a volume knob correct? Since you have a full audio interface in your HELIX the Scarlett is mostly just there to have a big knob to turn for volume control right?

For about $30 you can get a USB volume knob that will do the same thing and let you get rid of the piece of gear that seems to be causing issues with your rig.

https://amzn.to/2Syxq8J
Attached Image
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 4 2018, 08:50 AM) *
I'll get some free trials wink.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 5 2018, 08:48 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 5 2018, 06:47 PM) *

Those type of devices scare me, any clip/pop from program or powerloss and it won't protect the speakers. The focusrite likely has a passive volume controller, so malfunction will be less damaging for the speakers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 5 2018, 09:34 PM
The Scarlett is too old to get a replacement.

I use it for direct monitoring from Helix, I record from Helix USB and have Helix xlr going into the front of the Scarlett so that my guitar comes out of the speakers with 100% zero latency.

Same happens on both computers, my Asus Laptop and my self build desktop.

Not much of a response on the Reaper forum so I think it must be rare.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 6 2018, 04:35 AM
This type of device doesn't actually pass any audio through it. So you've got nothing to worrry about in terms of that. It's just a volume knob that acts a software control of whatever sound device is active. So it's not possible for it to pass audio at all, so no clicks or pops wink.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 5 2018, 03:48 PM) *
Those type of devices scare me, any clip/pop from program or powerloss and it won't protect the speakers. The focusrite likely has a passive volume controller, so malfunction will be less damaging for the speakers.

If you take the scarlet out of the chain, and just run xlr from the helix to your speakers, you still get zero latency as there would be nothing in between the helix and the speakers. Right now there is a scarlett between the helix and the speakers right? So your just removing a device. So it wouldn't increase latency. Which is good news smile.gif

The software usb volume control just does software control of your master volume. That's it. Just controls the main volume. So if I understand correctly how your rig it setup, it would just remove the part of your rig that is causing issues (the scarlett) and still give you a big knob for volume control and keep the zero latency. The device does not pass audio. Just acts a volume knob.

If you just use the helix, connected directly to a laptop for example, do you still get the same problems with export/clicks/etc. ?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 5 2018, 04:34 PM) *
The Scarlett is too old to get a replacement.

I use it for direct monitoring from Helix, I record from Helix USB and have Helix xlr going into the front of the Scarlett so that my guitar comes out of the speakers with 100% zero latency.

Same happens on both computers, my Asus Laptop and my self build desktop.

Not much of a response on the Reaper forum so I think it must be rare.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 6 2018, 08:59 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 6 2018, 03:35 AM) *
This type of device doesn't actually pass any audio through it. So you've got nothing to worrry about in terms of that. It's just a volume knob that acts a software control of whatever sound device is active. So it's not possible for it to pass audio at all, so no clicks or pops wink.gif

Didn't read much info so I assumed it controls the main volume out of the system, if it integrates the helix fine but if not then its risky.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2018, 09:47 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 6 2018, 04:35 AM) *
If you take the scarlet out of the chain, and just run xlr from the helix to your speakers, you still get zero latency as there would be nothing in between the helix and the speakers. Right now there is a scarlett between the helix and the speakers right? So your just removing a device. So it wouldn't increase latency. Which is good news smile.gif

If you just use the helix, connected directly to a laptop for example, do you still get the same problems with export/clicks/etc. ?

Thanks Todd.

The thing is the Scarlet is right at hand so muting the speakers and adjusting volume for speakers and headphones is extremely simple whereas the Helix is on the floor underneath my desk, short term not a problem but day in day out it would be a ball ache.

I only get the problems when the Scarlett is connected. I may just try a 2nd Gen Scarlett I can always send it back if it gives issues wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 6 2018, 12:06 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 6 2018, 08:47 AM) *
Thanks Todd.

The thing is the Scarlet is right at hand so muting the speakers and adjusting volume for speakers and headphones is extremely simple whereas the Helix is on the floor underneath my desk, short term not a problem but day in day out it would be a ball ache.

I only get the problems when the Scarlett is connected. I may just try a 2nd Gen Scarlett I can always send it back if it gives issues wink.gif

Cheers

I went to a store years ago to buy my first studio monitors (and still use them). The store connect a cd player to a "mackie big knob" as monitor controller.

After listening the monitors with the cd I brought, I asked them to directly connect the speakers cause something was wrong although I wasn't familiar with any of the equipment there. First They didn't want to but I insisted (and almost got mad) and the sound was day and night. That cheap monitor controller sucked the life out of very good speakers.

I don't know the new-gen mackie's but included soundcard controllers (even the affordable ones) are not bad for a while now. I checked the web and a decent controller for me (better quality, headphone outs...) is pretty much as much as a soundcard. This for example;

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MC3--radial-mc3

So don't rush into swapping your current soundcard yet as we still are not 100% about the problem. I use my soundcard in a similar fashion, when the boss processor is off (and usually is) I use the soundcard to watch movies, listening music otherwise the processor would always be on and likely this would reduce its lifespan. When the processor is on, I use its software to tweak amp settings etc. but still feed into my soundcard.

I did test processor as soundcard vs connecting outs of the processor to soundcard in's and to be honest the tonal/noise improvement wasn't considerable. I guess unless I record something very important for me, wouldn't disable my soundcard.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 6 2018, 12:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2018, 12:33 PM
Ooooooooops. I've just ordered a 2nd Gen 18i8 to be here tomorrow. Thing is it's no problem because if I get the same issue I can just send it back saying that it causes freezing, I might even decide to keep it and sell my old one just because it is a better version. Either way I'm sure we'll get it sorted one way or another.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 6 2018, 01:39 PM
Cool

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2018, 08:00 AM
It is just a knob that controls the master volume for whatever is set as the audio device on your computer. That's all smile.gif So if you were using a Helix as your audio device, it would control the master output for the Helix. At least that's what it's designed to do. And because it doesn't pass any audio through it, it won't click/pop etc. It's just software control of master volume. As if you used your mouse and just adjusted the master volume down or up. So any volume that can be software controlled by a mouse, can be controlled by the knob.

You wouldn't expect using a mouse to cause pops/clicks/audio artifacts when adjusting a volume level. Similarly, using a usb knob would be the same.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 6 2018, 03:59 AM) *
Didn't read much info so I assumed it controls the main volume out of the system, if it integrates the helix fine but if not then its risky.

I think I get it now though, you are not connecting the scarlett to the computer at all, it's just taking the outs from the helix to give you speaker volume knob and separate headphone volume knob right?
The knob just controls one volume, you wouldn't need to move the helix, but the knob won't control speaker and headphone levels separately like I think you are getting from the scarlett? it's acting as a mini mixer?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 6 2018, 04:47 AM) *
Thanks Todd.

Cheers

This is the part I think I'm not clear on. I don't think he's using the scarlett as a sound card? I think he said hes just using it un connected as a mixer to control speaker and headphone volume separately? I think the helix is doing sound card dutY? But I could have the wrong idea about the setup.

To be clear that little knob is not a monitor controller. It's not a sound card. It's just a knob that controls the volume via software, just like using your mouse to drag a fader up in a daw.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 6 2018, 07:06 AM) *
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MC3--radial-mc3

So don't rush into swapping your current soundcard yet as we still are not 100% about the problem. I u

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 7 2018, 08:05 AM
Thanks Todd,

I'll see what happens this evening as long as the new Scarlett comes before I leave work. I have all parcels delivered to work as it's easier wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 7 2018, 08:42 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 7 2018, 07:00 AM) *

My guess is that device takes control of the windows/mac system main volume control. Normally this is set to always highest and we adjust output from our soundcard.

After connecting this, lets say we lowered the system volume output to 50% as our default listening level. It would also mean we have to boost any volume output from other devices (focusrite, helix... anything that has a volume-out much be maxed or the volume will be too low).

If we had a sudden powerloss, any click/pop would be reduced by the focusrite normally (being passive volume controller, though actives may be the same too). But now that its (focusrite,helix...)boosted, and win/mac volume control is just digital that click/pop will hit the speakers at its strongest.

I suggested the radial (or anything else) if he ever want the helix to be the only soundcard in his system but would want something for comfort. But even though he's currently having problems, a soundcard is also good for not always keeping the processor on extending its lifespan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 8 2018, 06:06 AM
I don't think you are getting what the little knob does. Its like using your mouse to control any volume on your rig that can be controlled via software, thus by a mouse. It's just a knob in stead of a mouse. That's it.

Whatever the primary sound device is for a given rig, the knob would be just like using a mouse to lower or raise it, but has a knob instead of x/y coordinates in a mouse.

You would not need to adjust the volume in any way unless you wanted to as the knob doesn't modify anything at all, in any way. So it doesn't mean having to boost anything.It doesn't "boost" the sound at all. If you lost power on your rig, having this usb knob would make no difference at all.
I don't know where you are getting that using a simple usb volume knob would mean having to boost volume from other devices?
Also, in a power loss, the scarlett, if used as a mixer, isn't going to help. It's just going to pass whatever it gets right to the monitors. It's just sitting in between the helix and the monitors/headpones.

The helix is a full functioning soundcard by itself. I don't understand what you mean by wanting something "for comfort"? I actually suggested just a cheap mixer so that he could have headphone and main volume control without any issues being caused currently by the helix. But I may be misunderstanding what he is trying to do.

I don't think he turns the helix off when he is mixing? so it's probably on most of the time, whether another sound device is present or not yeah?

Anyhoo, I was just trying to understand the rig and it started seeming like the scarlett was just serving as a heaphone/main volume controller, but causing all sorts of issues at the same time while plugged in via usb. if the scarlett usb is unplugged, then it really is just mixer. Which is fine, it makes a handy mixer from what I gather. smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 7 2018, 03:42 AM) *
My guess is that device takes control of the windows/mac system main volume control. Normally this is set to always highest and we adjust output from our soundcard.

After connecting this, lets say we lowered the system volume output to 50% as our default listening level. It would also mean we have to boost any volume output from other devices (focusrite, helix... anything that has a volume-out much be maxed or the volume will be too low).

If we had a sudden powerloss, any click/pop would be reduced by the focusrite normally (being passive volume controller, though actives may be the same too). But now that its (focusrite,helix...)boosted, and win/mac volume control is just digital that click/pop will hit the speakers at its strongest.

I suggested the radial (or anything else) if he ever want the helix to be the only soundcard in his system but would want something for comfort. But even though he's currently having problems, a soundcard is also good for not always keeping the processor on extending its lifespan.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 8 2018, 08:51 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 8 2018, 05:06 AM) *
I don't think you are getting what the little knob does. Its like using your mouse to control any volume on your rig that can be controlled via software, thus by a mouse. It's just a knob in stead of a mouse. That's it.

I understand but suspect it only controls the main computer volume (next to the clock on windows) only and doesn't "takeover" a devices (like helix) volume control. Should be similar on mac and I bet your is at full on too cause you decrease your monitors through soundcard, otherwise you'd get extra noise.

You would not need to adjust the volume in any way unless you wanted to as the knob doesn't modify anything at all, in any way. So it doesn't mean having to boost anything.It doesn't "boost" the sound at all. If you lost power on your rig, having this usb knob would make no difference at all.

Try this, decrease the volume with mouse on your mac (the main system volume, not soundcard software). Naturally the first thing you do is to increase the soundcards volume. So to make most use of the cheap volume controller, you have to adjust your soundcards volume out to full on and decrease from this device. Don't focus on the technical side as we're on the same page, imagine "in-use".

I don't know where you are getting that using a simple usb volume knob would mean having to boost volume from other devices?
Also, in a power loss, the scarlett, if used as a mixer, isn't going to help. It's just going to pass whatever it gets right to the monitors. It's just sitting in between the helix and the monitors/headpones.

Trust me it will. I can't say for focusrite as I don't own it, but every other affordable soundcard I owned or worked with had a passive/active volume control (even Behringers have this as I'm using one now). Volume controllers these days are like the guitars volume pot, whatever you do to the PU's won't affect the amp when decreased but a digital volume controller isn't like that. I remember very old m-audio stuff's volume control was in reality just a digital control knob but these days manufacturers don't take the risk of blowing beginner hobbyist speakers. This is what I mean't from the beginning why such devices scare me.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 8 2018, 09:54 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 8 2018, 06:37 PM
The cheap usb knob just controls master volume on any rig. Also, my main system volume is my interface volume. I don't use my internal sound card for anything. I use my iconnect 4+ as my system sound/audio card/interface. As the default sound device, the cheap knob would just turn master volume up and down.

I'm not sure why you would want to run your internal sound card and an external audio interface at the same time? You mention turning one up, and one down? My interface is my system sound card. So whatever is assigned as the audio device default for a system (at least on my mac) is what gets the volume up down commands.

You may be thinking of how older devices worked. This is not that. It's just a knob that takes over volume control for whatever device is assigned as the audio device on a given system. My icconnect handles all the system sounds etc, as it's my "sound card". I never take it above 80 percent. Audio passes through the iconnect, no audio would pass through the knob, just as audio would not pass through a mouse. It's not an audio device. It's just a dumb controller. Make sense?

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 8 2018, 03:51 AM) *
I understand but suspect it only controls the main computer volume (next to the clock on windows) only and doesn't "takeover" a devices (like helix) volume control. Should be similar on mac and I bet your is at full on too cause you decrease your monitors through soundcard, otherwise you'd get extra noise.

Try this, decrease the volume with mouse on your mac (the main system volume, not soundcard software). Naturally the first thing you do is to increase the soundcards volume. So to make most use of the cheap volume controller, you have to adjust your soundcards volume out to full on and decrease from this device. Don't focus on the technical side as we're on the same page, imagine "in-use".

Trust me it will. I can't say for focusrite as I don't own it, but every other affordable soundcard I owned or worked with had a passive/active volume control (even Behringers have this as I'm using one now). Volume controllers these days are like the guitars volume pot, whatever you do to the PU's won't affect the amp when decreased but a digital volume controller isn't like that. I remember very old m-audio stuff's volume control was in reality just a digital control knob but these days manufacturers don't take the risk of blowing beginner hobbyist speakers. This is what I mean't from the beginning why such devices scare me.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 8 2018, 08:28 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 8 2018, 05:37 PM) *

I can't comment on iconnectivity as I didn't try it yet. On my soundcard (and most affordable ones) there are 2 main volume outs. One is on the hardware soundcard, the other is digital (from computer).

When decreasing from the hardware soundcard where the monitors are connected (analog, let say from 100% to 80%) the sound decreases but the digital stays same (if was 100%, still is). This means the computer is digitally sending 100% output, but the hardware soundcard decreased the output to 80%.

This doesn't mean the iconnectivity doesn't have an analog volume controller, it may be hiding the computer main digital volume (keeping it 100% as it should be) and giving you a digital control for its analog volume controller.

So ideal volume control for a computer is sending digital volume 100%, for monitoring reasons decreased by a volume controller. It is why you'll see 1000's of dollar worth analog volume controllers; https://www.sweetwater.com/c417--Studio_Mon...gement/high2low

But that cheap device will likely connect itself to the computers digital volume out, this is the potential problem.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 8 2018, 08:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 9 2018, 07:08 AM
This is where I'm getting confused. I've owned wads of audio interfaces over the years and tehy all had one master volume. Your saying that the ones you've used have 2 master volume outs? I've never had any experience with something like that. When you say "sound card" you are talking about an audio interface like the scarlett correct? Or are you talking about the internal sound card on a computer? When you say "the other is digital" are you talking about the SPDIF ouput that many units have? I"m just not clear on this.

When you say "digital stays the same" are you in reference to the SPDIF ouput jack on some interfaces that always runs at the same volume level?

On every interface I've ever owned, there was one Master Volume. When the interface is set as the primary sound device on a Mac, the mac treats that unit as it's "sound card". It's still just got the one main volume out. Units that have SPDIF out are just providing a way to get digital signal out of the unit. My 11 rack has spdif out for example. However, the spdif level doesn't change.

The usb knob acts just like a mouse dragging your master slider down in the control panel in one's preference pane on a mac. It's digital software control over the master volume output on the assigned sound device. There really isn't any potential for the issues you seem to be describing as far as I'm aware since no audio passes through the usb knob. It's just a periperhal. It's not an audio device as such. I think we are just chasing our tail at this point so I'll let you have the last word smile.gif
Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 8 2018, 03:28 PM) *
I can't comment on iconnectivity as I didn't try it yet. On my soundcard (and most affordable ones) there are 2 main volume outs. One is on the hardware soundcard, the other is digital (from computer).

When decreasing from the hardware soundcard where the monitors are connected (analog, let say from 100% to 80%) the sound decreases but the digital stays same (if was 100%, still is). This means the computer is digitally sending 100% output, but the hardware soundcard decreased the output to 80%.

This doesn't mean the iconnectivity doesn't have an analog volume controller, it may be hiding the computer main digital volume (keeping it 100% as it should be) and giving you a digital control for its analog volume controller.

So ideal volume control for a computer is sending digital volume 100%, for monitoring reasons decreased by a volume controller. It is why you'll see 1000's of dollar worth analog volume controllers; https://www.sweetwater.com/c417--Studio_Mon...gement/high2low

But that cheap device will likely connect itself to the computers digital volume out, this is the potential problem.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 9 2018, 08:27 AM
Only 1 soundcard, yes I'm talking about an interface like scarlett. Internal soundcards on PC too are disabled once you install a new soundcard on windows, the internal can be programmed to run midi independant with some adjustments but no one does that. No I don't refer to other outs like spdif.

Here is a picture of my system for reference;

[attachment=48050:fortodd.png]

-First on the down right; This is windows system main volume control (this is probably the cheap usb knob will attach itself to)
-Left; My soundcard software control, I pulled it down the master out to 50% to prove you they are not linked with the windows volume. It represents the soundcards (digital signal) main volume, normally its also set 100%
-you can't see it but my external hardware soundcards volume knob is set around 40%, its basic analog so digital can't control it.

As said, digital should always be set 100% and all control being analog is the ideal system (lowest noise and best speaker protection). Your soundcard on mac probably hides them (only shows digitally controlled analog) since they're mean't to stay 100% always anyway for a recording computer.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 9 2018, 06:08 AM) *

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 9 2018, 09:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:57 PM