Megadeth - Rust In Peace Review
Original Author: FretDancer69
Album: Rust In Peace
Genre: Thrash Metal
Year of Release: 1990
1. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due - 6:32
2. Hangar 18 - 5:11
3. Take No Prisoners - 3:26
4. Five Magics - 5:40
5. Poison Was The Cure - 2:56
6. Lucretia - 3:56
7. Dawn Patrol - 1:51
8. Rust In Peace...Polaris - 5:44
Dave Mustaine - Guitar, Lead Vocals
Marty Friedman - Guitar
David Eleffson - Bass
Nick Menza - Drums
(9) A really well produced album, it has a unique sound, the instruments sound really good and Dave's vocals just make it better. Lets see some details:
(10) The guitar riffs are really diverse in all the songs and are spiced up by the Drums and Bass. I found all the riffs very interesting, entertaining and of course, enjoyable for headbanging, Mustaine and Friedman are a killer combination of guitarists when it comes to riffs, and more when it comes to solos. This can be witnessed in the almost-instrumental (and my favorite) track, Hangar 18, containing at least 11 guitar solos performed alternately by Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman; this indicates the ability that these two guitarists posses and how they are able to use it when they play together. The rest of the songs also have really powerful guitar solos as well.
(9) Nick Menza does a really good job on the drums for this album, nothing that jaw-dropping (imo), but does the job, and a really good one. The drums performed by Nick add a really good tension and vibe in the songs, specially in again, Hangar 18.
(7) The bass work isnt that incredible either, but again it does what it needs to do, and that is to provide loyal bass lines for each song. At some points in the song the bass is really important, but not when "listening/enjoying-the-music-wise", but when for playing along the song, it really helps you get located correctly and i could assure this even more today, because i was jamming and practicing with my best friend the song Hangar 18 (again, yeah its that awesome ).
The bass work is very predominant in the song Five Magics specially in the intro but also through the rest of the song, you can really hear it and it sounds good! But its predominant even more in the track Dawn Patrol which is the shortest track from the album.
(10) Dave's vocals (as we all know) are very different from many many other vocalists but thats what a huge part of Megadeth consists. Dave's vocals are just perfect and really good and all the tracks found in this album.
(10) Now for the lyrics, i must say (and its no surprise to me) that Dave's lyrics are just awesome. He covers topics that are almost always covered in many of Megadeth's albums and its like a Mustaine trademark, these topics are: Politics and Warfare, and basically almost all the tracks are based on those topics/concepts. Lets take a look:
From Hangar 18:
Welcome to our fortress tall
Take some time to show you around
Impossible to break these walls
For you see the steel is much too strong
Computer banks to rule the world
Instruments to sight the stars
Possibly Ive seen to much
Hangar 18 I know too much
Foreign life forms inventory
Suspended state of cryogenics
Selective amnesias the story
Believed foretold but whod suspect
The military intelligence
Two words combined that cant make sense
Really exciting lyrics, if you're a UFO conspiracy or just UFO fanatic in general (like me ) you'll love this song. We can see what Dave involves in this song: Aliens, Government, and Military Intelligence; really interesting topics imo. You can see that some verses rhyme and others dont, but when you listen to the song, you'll see for yourself, that the lyrics fit it perfectly.
(9) An incredible album for sure and my favorite Megadeth album of all time (and im sure for most of the fans too!). Its the album the possesses the line-up we all love and miss and that fans dont get to see live anymore, but they still have this album (and other more, yet to be released) to enjoy the best Megadeth Line-up (imo).
As said before, this is definately my favorite Megadeth Album. Here are my likes and dislike :
Top 3 Favorite Tracks:
Tornado of Souls
Least Favorite Tracks: