2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Album That Has Marked Your Musical Life...
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2013, 07:45 PM
Instructor
There are many albums that have molded me as musician and that marked my life. I could say that the first cds that I had like "Mondo Bizarro" (Ramones), "Use You Illusion" (Guns & Roses) set my roots, then appeared Metallica, Iron Maiden, Green Day, Offspring, Yngwie Malmsteen, Dream Theater... but I particularly remember that this album in particular has been very important when appeared in my life. For example, it's the reason why I started Cirse, my band. Then our style evolved, developed, changed and everything that happens when you have a band but this was my first inspiration to start an alternative rock band.

what about you?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jul 5 2013, 07:46 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 5 2013, 08:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Two of the stand out albums in my life

Counting Crows - August and Everything After
This album stayed in my Cd player for 6 months solid

A great mixture of emotion and rootsy rock.

Story Of The Year - In The Wake Of Determination
This album brought me back to heavier rock music

This was the song that brought them to my attention, I saw it when flicking through the music tv channels, and then immediately read up about them and found their albums. A mixture of shouty screamy and melody and not just songs about girls. They really know how to write a hook

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 5 2013, 09:34 PM
GMC:er
Back in the day round the 12th year of my life. Sabbath Ironman and Paranoid got me hooked into music and parents said no to being in the school band, they ended up buying me a guitar. Maybe 1-2 years later I quit.

Around the 17th year I was around people who loved music, got me into way darker music. Manson, Zombie, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, then Pantera. I then picked the guitar up again and fiddled for years, not getting better but at least playing.

Then, I remember Guitar Hero II came out. I heard of Buckethead when he was with GNR but that was it. Now we all know with that game Jordan came from it. I looked into him more and fell in love with the music. Ever since then I have taken my playing to a more important state in my life. Album wise it would be hard to say as I have a few from him that push me to want to play better.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2013, 10:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 5 2013, 04:32 PM) *
Two of the stand out albums in my life

Counting Crows - August and Everything After
This album stayed in my Cd player for 6 months solid

A great mixture of emotion and rootsy rock.

Story Of The Year - In The Wake Of Determination
This album brought me back to heavier rock music

This was the song that brought them to my attention, I saw it when flicking through the music tv channels, and then immediately read up about them and found their albums. A mixture of shouty screamy and melody and not just songs about girls. They really know how to write a hook

Very good bands! I like Story of the year's style.

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jul 5 2013, 05:34 PM) *
Back in the day round the 12th year of my life. Sabbath Ironman and Paranoid got me hooked into music and parents said no to being in the school band, they ended up buying me a guitar. Maybe 1-2 years later I quit.

Around the 17th year I was around people who loved music, got me into way darker music. Manson, Zombie, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, then Pantera. I then picked the guitar up again and fiddled for years, not getting better but at least playing.

Then, I remember Guitar Hero II came out. I heard of Buckethead when he was with GNR but that was it. Now we all know with that game Jordan came from it. I looked into him more and fell in love with the music. Ever since then I have taken my playing to a more important state in my life. Album wise it would be hard to say as I have a few from him that push me to want to play better.

Buckethead has lots of albums! Which are your favourite albums by him?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jul 5 2013, 11:08 PM
Maiden Somewhere In time

I got this cassette in a trade with my firend - i gave him Nirvana cassette for this Maiden, and when i got it i listened to it day and night.And after a few days, he wanted Maiden cassette back, but i said NO ! smile.gif

And it's still best Maiden album for my criteria, and maybe the best metal album ever. Later , i found out that they started "World Slavery Tour" with gig in Belgrade , where there played Lonelines of the Long Distance Runner - for the first and ONLY time!! Later i got a ticket from that gig biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Jul 6 2013, 12:49 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2013, 11:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jul 5 2013, 07:08 PM) *
Maiden Somewhere In time

Fantastic album!! smile.gif

Check out this video by Incubus guitarist...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 6 2013, 02:38 AM
I'm with you on Incubus. Dirk Lance got me into bass and I started playing bass in a band because of him - the Science album, although I love everything Incubus does.

I think the most influential album for me though was Hemispheres by Rush...

and this song too, still one of my favorites:

And then this album too: Operation Mindcrime

Haha - the guitarist with the hat is the one I met in Seattle at an Incubus/Def Tones concert. I told him he was my "Daddy".

This post has been edited by Spock: Jul 6 2013, 11:13 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 6 2013, 08:46 AM
Instructor
When starting my first band, our inspiration were the Guano Apes, from Germany - they were REALLY big at that time and this album was the one that sparked it all - 'Don't give me names'

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 6 2013, 09:02 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I don't think I can nail it down to just one album , but these 3 had a huge influence on me and made me want to play guitar. Not necessarily in this order.

Rush - 2112
Led Zeppelin II
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jul 6 2013, 10:47 AM
Theory Instructor
Mince would have to be Animals by Pink Floyd. The arrangements were so jazzy for a rock band, it really made me explore soloing and improvising over modal tunes more as a rocker, which lead to my exploration and further development as a jazz player when I was growing up. Still think this is the band's best overall record. Though I've had it for 20 odd years, I still spend a week or two each year and listen to nothing but this record.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 6 2013, 10:54 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 6 2013, 03:46 AM) *
When starting my first band, our inspiration were the Guano Apes, from Germany - they were REALLY big at that time and this album was the one that sparked it all - 'Don't give me names'

They were a 1 Hit Wonder here in the states. I saw them open up for Creed. I really loved the song they played on the radio by them "Open Your Eyes". And sought them out a little more after the show. The had great stage presence and energy - sadly, their sound was terrible, I think the worse sounding mix I had ever heard. I also couldn't make out if the singer was a woman or a skinny effeminate dude. She wore a hoodie the entire time.

After the show and I became more acquainted with them I really dug there style and sound, I wish I had done that before I saw them live.

BTW - I LOVE the ending of this song Open Your Eyes - that dirty overdriven staccato chunk at the very end. Thanks for reminding me of them, makes me want to play this tune.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jul 6 2013, 11:01 AM

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jul 6 2013, 11:29 AM
Learning Tone Master
Defenders of the Faith
Marching Out and Rising Force
The Last in Line

+Quote Post
wollace03
Jul 6 2013, 11:31 AM
I told a friend that I like europe - the final countdown album and he gave me Iron maidens live after death - after this my life in the nusical way changed completely and I bought an electric guitar - so the album of my life is definitely live after death

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 6 2013, 11:43 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (The Professor @ Jul 6 2013, 10:47 AM) *
Mince would have to be Animals by Pink Floyd. The arrangements were so jazzy for a rock band, it really made me explore soloing and improvising over modal tunes more as a rocker, which lead to my exploration and further development as a jazz player when I was growing up. Still think this is the band's best overall record. Though I've had it for 20 odd years, I still spend a week or two each year and listen to nothing but this record.

I love the chord sequence for Dogs, I remember learning it as a teenager

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jul 6 2013, 11:57 AM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 6 2013, 11:43 AM) *
I love the chord sequence for Dogs, I remember learning it as a teenager

Great chords to jam over, love that progression!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jul 6 2013, 12:50 PM
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Jul 6 2013, 12:29 PM) *
Defenders of the Faith
Marching Out and Rising Force
The Last in Line

What, No Maiden?? Number of the Beast? smile.gif

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jul 6 2013, 01:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jul 6 2013, 11:50 AM) *
What, No Maiden?? Number of the Beast? smile.gif

No, they didn't have that musical impact on me early in my life, although I did have Number of the Beast on tape.
Later I got into some of the other big names, like Manowar (started with Fighting the World), Helloween (the Keeper albums), Candlemass (Nightfall and Ancient Dreams), kept buying Malmsteen's records. Later I went back in time and started listening to older stuff by Priest, Dio, etc.
But those listed above should be my best answer to the question of this thread.

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 6 2013, 01:09 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 5 2013, 05:16 PM) *
Buckethead has lots of albums! Which are your favourite albums by him?

Colma, Electric Tears, The Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell, Crime Slunk Scene, Cyborg Slunks, Albino Slugs, A Real Diamond In The Rough, Slaughterhouse On The Prairie, Electric Sea. Those are the most go to albums for me. Songs I love Lebron, Aunt Suzie, and Sketches Of Spain.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 6 2013, 01:52 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Ozzy Osbourne- Blizzard of Ozz

This album had a huge impact on my playing early on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jul 6 2013, 02:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I was heavily influenced by what my Dad was listening to when I was younger so for the time period of when I was young until a teenager it had to be:

1. Racer X- Superheroes/Technical Difficulties
2. King's X- Out of the Silent Planet/ Faith Hope Love

Once I hit my teens I started discovering music on my own. The albums that changed how I viewed music since then would be:

1. HIM- Dark Light/ Love Metal
2. Asking Alexandria- Stand Up and Scream
3. Parkway Drive- Horizons
4. Children of Bodom- Are You Dead Yet?

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 02:10 AM