Evening Blues....
Staffy
May 21 2010, 10:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
Just posting a song I've been playing for some days by now. Since I dont have any guitar-player to do a duo-session with, I have to play both guitars myself. This is really a favourite of mine, one of the most beautiful songs ever written in my taste.

About the song: This is "Lonely Woman" by the piano-player Horace Silver. It was written in the 60's, but still has all the ingridients for a great song imo. I'll bet it could make a great heavy-metal ballad or whatever as most good songs can be interpreted in a variety of ways. I heard this song first at Pat Metheny's excellent album "Rejoicing" when I was bout 18 years old, and I played for a test to music college. (they loved it btw. and I joined the college after that) Since then I haven't played it at all until a couple of days ago, when it came up in my head.

About the recording: Nothin much to say, used amplitube EJ sound for backing track and Amplitube Fender Bassman for the lead with a long reverb added, yeah and my Ibanez GB 10 was played of course. I didn't try to "burn" in this one, rather to be lyrical and sparse. Everything was done in one take and is improvised except for the melody and the chords of course.

Enjoy!

//Staffay

EDIT: And as usual all comments (good or bad) are most welcome! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Staffy: May 21 2010, 10:23 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  LonelyWoman.mp3 ( 9.94MB ) Number of downloads: 299

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 21 2010, 11:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ May 21 2010, 02:08 PM) *
*snip*
I'll bet it could make a great heavy-metal ballad or whatever as most good songs can be interpreted in a variety of ways.
*snip*
Enjoy!

EDIT: And as usual all comments (good or bad) are most welcome! smile.gif

Staffy, that was smooth and easy to listen to. Thanks for sharing it. As for the heavy metal interpretation - now that's hard to imagine =smile.gif

There was only one distraction for me in this mix that I think is easily remedied - the backing guitar every now and again had fret buzz coming off a chord. It kindof stood out from the rest of the song because of how gentle and easy going the song it. Other than that - loved it.

Christian A.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 22 2010, 05:08 AM
Instructor
I'm liking it!

Nice harmonics,

Nice dreamy vibe to it

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 22 2010, 08:03 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 22 2010, 12:10 AM) *
Staffy, that was smooth and easy to listen to. Thanks for sharing it. As for the heavy metal interpretation - now that's hard to imagine =smile.gif

There was only one distraction for me in this mix that I think is easily remedied - the backing guitar every now and again had fret buzz coming off a chord. It kindof stood out from the rest of the song because of how gentle and easy going the song it. Other than that - loved it.

Christian A.

Hehe, I think the chord progression with the falling bass line will make an outstanding idea for a heavy metal song... I will try to prove it some day.... wink.gif Fret buzz, yeah, I guess there are some because Im not fretting the notes properly, also maybe the sound and the master compression makes it stand out too much. I didn't bother so much about the sound on this one though, it was merely to record the ideas I had at the moment.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 22 2010, 10:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ May 22 2010, 12:03 AM) *
Hehe, I think the chord progression with the falling bass line will make an outstanding idea for a heavy metal song... I will try to prove it some day.... wink.gif

//Staffay

Evening Metal! The challenge is on!!!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 23 2010, 05:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 22 2010, 11:10 AM) *
Evening Metal! The challenge is on!!!!! biggrin.gif

Well, I have never backed out of a challenge, neither this this time. *heading for my closet to fetch the leather and the wig*

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2010, 06:21 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Amazing work on covering this song Staffy! Really love how smooth it sounds, its a beautiful song! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 24 2010, 02:46 AM
Instructor
I think it sounds great Staffay, reeeally smooth and cool sounding, great impro. Really pleasant for listening.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 24 2010, 04:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ May 23 2010, 09:52 AM) *
Well, I have never backed out of a challenge, neither this this time. *heading for my closet to fetch the leather and the wig*

//Staffay

LOL!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fused
May 30 2010, 04:37 AM
GMC:er
Nicely done Staffay
Very smooth and jazzy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jun 10 2010, 03:13 PM
Jazz Instructor
Nice and relaxed. I really enjoyed! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:25 PM