My Next Step
Mumlex
Dec 24 2009, 02:22 AM
GMC:er
Hey Guys

I'm new here, and i hope you can help on where to start. I have been playing on and off for a couple of years, but want to get better and more serious with my playing. I've been playing mostly for myself, a little with a friend of mine. Playing mostly acoustic songs, but i want get to another level with my playing. I have an electric that i want to use more, but i don't want to put my acoustic one totally away. I've been playing songs from Oasis, John Mayer, Jack Johnson, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, Sublime, Nirvana, Counting Crows and so on. I almost never use a pick, feels uncomfortable but I'm working on it. Self thought on everything I've learnt btw.

What i have done lately:
- Started to play basic exercises with a metronome, didn't know they existed until i joined this site ohmy.gif
- Started with Basic Alternative picking.

Would like to learn how to improvise more, and increase my technical ability at least. Learn to play solos, as i am mostly a rhythm guitar player so far. I have challenged myself to little lately, which has hindered my development.

So i guess i wanted to ask people with more experience and skill what to do next? I have learnt everything myself, so input might be more needed then i realize myself. What is the next step for me as an guitar player?

If there are any other questions you need so know to assess what the next step for me is, just ask smile.gif

Look forward to hearing from you!

Mumlex

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
jstcrsn
Dec 24 2009, 02:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
unfortunately , the only way to improvising is to learn your scales, also if you could learn a couple of solos , in the same key ( i suggest E minor) this would start training your ear. Don't get to discontent with improvising- after all improvising is just something you have already memorized , but played in a different order

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 24 2009, 04:47 PM
Instructor
well, I think familiarizing yourself with each interval on a major scale is very important step towards improvisation. There are some great lessons here on intervals.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 25 2009, 12:03 PM
Instructor
Check out this small lesson plan I made some time ago, might give you some perspective on what to practice.

As for the things you need to work now:

- scales
- chords
- music theory
- songs

self-pace yourself so you get your sessions interesting. I advise you not to practice only scales for one hour for example, but instead make sessions deverse as possible so you don't get "bored".

Let us know if you need any additional help.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 25 2009, 03:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Your next step will be to start with theory practice, learn intervals, major scale and so on. While you are practicing scales you can effectively practice your alternate picking or some other technique. Try to have 2 in 1 practice as much as you can. Since you haven't played much with a pick, you should definitely start working on that by learning songs on electric, learning techniques that look interesting to you (finding a lesson that covers certain topic you like - bending, vibrato, harmonics etc).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mumlex
Dec 29 2009, 02:21 AM
Thanks for all the feedback smile.gif

Would be nice if somebody could link me to some good lessons to start with?

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 29 2009, 04:05 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mumlex @ Dec 29 2009, 02:21 AM) *
Thanks for all the feedback smile.gif

Would be nice if somebody could link me to some good lessons to start with?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/B-Minor-Ballad-Solo/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...r-melodic-solo/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...n-style-lesson/
sorry i could not get these in order. the b minor solo is the same key as the van halen D major
let me know if these are to difficult or not , plus it wouldn't hurt getting your feet wet to learn
how to navigate the site search

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=32726

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Dec 29 2009, 03:30 PM

+Quote Post
Mumlex
Dec 29 2009, 05:48 PM
Hey thanks..

I found and started with this after i posted:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/beginner-...ner-scales.htm/

And there is a link to 3 pentatonic scale lessons at the bottom of that lesson as well. Starting from where i have seems like it would work, what do you guys think?

I was wondering a little about playing with a metronome. Should i always do it? Sometimes? Feels unnatural so far, but that might be because it's new to me? Just started out here, and there is a lot of new information wrap my head around. If i'm suppose to use the metronome, should i play quarter notes, eight notes or what? I might be able to combine learning to play with a metronome, learning scales, while practicing alternate picking all at one time. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for helping me become a better guitar player smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 31 2009, 12:40 AM
Instructor
Yes, this seems like a good way to go. I would advise to check out my pentatonic workshop lesson 1. This is great lesson for practicing and learning pentatonic scale.

Yes, you should practice everything with the metronome to acquire correct timing. In time you will get used to it, don't worry.

Let me know if you need any more help. Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mumlex
Mar 19 2010, 04:47 PM
I've been learing a lot of pentatonic boxes lately, practicing to do them as fast and with as much flow as possible. But i am kind of stuck a little in the boxes, and this made me wonder. Can you switch and slide in to another box whenever you want? or do you have to do it in a certain place?

And as i'm starting to master this, what would be the next step?

Thanks for all the help.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 22 2010, 08:26 PM
Instructor
This lesson may be exactly what you need, check it out:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-legato-slides/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 24 2010, 08:04 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would suggest using metronome as much as you can and ESPECIALLY if you are learning a new scale. Scales are ideal for making exercises out of them (using metronome). You can make up those exercises on your own, playing quarter notes, 8th notes, 16th notes, triplets all when practicing a paticular scale.

Check out this lesson on how to use a metronome:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/how-to-use-a-metronome/

QUOTE (Mumlex @ Dec 29 2009, 05:48 PM) *
Hey thanks..

I found and started with this after i posted:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/beginner-...ner-scales.htm/

And there is a link to 3 pentatonic scale lessons at the bottom of that lesson as well. Starting from where i have seems like it would work, what do you guys think?

I was wondering a little about playing with a metronome. Should i always do it? Sometimes? Feels unnatural so far, but that might be because it's new to me? Just started out here, and there is a lot of new information wrap my head around. If i'm suppose to use the metronome, should i play quarter notes, eight notes or what? I might be able to combine learning to play with a metronome, learning scales, while practicing alternate picking all at one time. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for helping me become a better guitar player smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mumlex
Mar 26 2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the replies guys smile.gif

Hey i'm kinda struggling to get the 8th notes and 16 notes sounding good enough. It seems like my picking hand is struggling to keep up.

Any tips?

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Mar 27 2010, 02:36 PM
Jazz Instructor
The metroom thing is the best idea, that is no.1
Add to that practicing scales in different positions, as well as some basic patterns, and you'll be fine. That is lot of material!

+Quote Post
Mumlex
Apr 4 2010, 05:14 AM
This might sound kind of stupid to you guys, but i'm kinda new to the whole music theory and improvising. But what i'm wondering is: Say that someone is strumming a e minor- a minor chord progression for example. Should i start playing in the e-minor pentatonic scale, and when the chords changes switch to the a minor pentatonic?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:37 PM