Playing Standing Up, help me!
wylde_guitar
Aug 16 2008, 03:53 AM
GMC:er
ive been trying to stand up while playing more often now and i'm having a LOT of trouble trying to solo while standing, particularly in solos when im shredding at all on the low E string because my fingers don't reach it quite enough. Also, trying to palm mute is difficult when standing and I was wondering if there are any tricks to soloing standing up, other than tightening my strap, because it's already as high as it goes (which isn't very high mad.gif )

thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Aug 16 2008, 04:25 AM
well, there is a technique. when you play a fast solo or something, lift your knee up onto something and play off that. The palm muting is difficult if ur arm doesnt reach the strings so the only option there is to tighten the strings. or if you practice enough or hand will mold over the neck making it easier to play the low e...thats all I got

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Aug 16 2008, 06:47 AM
QUOTE (wylde_guitar @ Aug 15 2008, 07:53 PM) *
ive been trying to stand up while playing more often now and i'm having a LOT of trouble trying to solo while standing, particularly in solos when im shredding at all on the low E string because my fingers don't reach it quite enough. Also, trying to palm mute is difficult when standing and I was wondering if there are any tricks to soloing standing up, other than tightening my strap, because it's already as high as it goes (which isn't very high mad.gif )

thanks

Propping your foot up while soloing (like on a monitor) helps, and angling the neck more vertical makes it easier to solo(but it looks kind of 80s ish).

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
wollace03
Aug 16 2008, 07:37 AM
QUOTE (wylde_guitar @ Aug 16 2008, 04:53 AM) *

thanks

as mentioned above i always put my left foot on something (pa, chair, ...) and play and although it may look kind of 80ish i think it looks cool and rocks (i grew up with 80ies metal!)

keep in rocking cool.gif

+Quote Post
Vasilis
Aug 16 2008, 07:51 AM
Actually I had the same problem when I began playing my first gigs.Nowadays I just raise the height of my guitar strap pretty high so when I'm playing seated the guitar doesn't rest on my leg, so its almost like playing standing up and I got used to it

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 16 2008, 10:09 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
A guitar sitting low makes it harder to play solos, on your belly it's more easy.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 16 2008, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (wylde_guitar @ Aug 16 2008, 04:53 AM) *

thanks

I have my guitar so high that even when I sit it doesn't touch my legs.
This is without doubt the cure, unless you want to get used to two playing positions.

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Aug 16 2008, 01:55 PM
Even Slash finds it hard.
And we all know he likes to play his guitar really low.
Look at some videos and see how he tilts and lifts his guitar when soloing. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 16 2008, 02:10 PM
Not that slash does the most technical stuff tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 16 2008, 02:49 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Your guitar should be on the same height/position when sitting and standing...So make sure you setup it that way...Also you may want to buy a new strap if that one you have isn't able to do that..Try practicing standing more often also! You will get used to it and than you will be able to solo standing !

Cheers

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Aug 16 2008, 03:01 PM
Checking out some realy technical bands you'll notice they have theyre guitars pretty high, Chris Broderick and John Petrucci keep it around chest level, Chuck Schuldinder around hi stomach, I think. Muhammed and the rest of the Necrophagist guy have it relatively high, Alexi Laiho used to keep his pretty high now he just puts his knee between the horns of the v and plays with it upright.

I'd say raise the strap but since you said youre strap won't go any higher. Get a new one maybe or like everyone else says prop up your guitar.

This post has been edited by Enucleation: Aug 16 2008, 03:02 PM

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 16 2008, 03:42 PM
Instructor
I have my guitar at slightly different height when standing and even that requires some adaptation of the playing technique and stand-up practicing sessions before gigs.

My point is: if you do wanna keep the guitar low on gigs, you must practice everything you play on gigs on that height. If you wanna play like you play when you sit down, just buy a new strap to accommodate height of the guitar to be like in sit-down position.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
wylde_guitar
Aug 16 2008, 04:32 PM
wow, I didn't think I'd get as many replies, (I figured not many guitarists faced a challenge standing), but I've tried everyone's advice on here and I borrowed a strap. Anyway, thanks everyone and keep on rockin wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 16 2008, 05:28 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (wylde_guitar @ Aug 16 2008, 05:32 PM) *
wow, I didn't think I'd get as many replies, (I figured not many guitarists faced a challenge standing), but I've tried everyone's advice on here and I borrowed a strap. Anyway, thanks everyone and keep on rockin wink.gif

Glad to be helpful !! Keep us updated how you progress! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 16 2008, 07:36 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
You should always practice sitting AND standing! While you are at home you can play sitting of course, but when your band plays a gig you will stand I guess, so you should be prepared for this. Sometimes small changes can make a big difference, so we should always try to play our stuff under different circumstances, it really helps.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 16 2008, 07:40 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Petruccy wears his guitar like a necklace, pretty high up- but he manages to get the solos out.

Must be the comination of his super tight guitar strap and his fake monitors.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 16 2008, 07:54 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I can play standing up, but not as well as when I sit down..
I should practice more on that, thanks for reminding me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Aug 16 2008, 08:20 PM
I recently started practicing standing up more, but i wear my guitar as low as possible... I figure ill get used to playing it low from the start...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 16 2008, 08:47 PM
Instructor
The live performances are standing up, so I think that the secret is to practice standing up the more time you can (you can resist, because 6 hours practicing standing up would be a very hard practice session). The hand position is very different so it is the best way to be prepaired for a live performance. Even more if you play rock/metal where the guitar usually is used in this position:

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:49 AM