18 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan, This will speed up progress and give you structure
IComeFromTheWate...
Oct 8 2013, 10:59 PM
GMC:er
Thanks Cosmin, I accept your challenge!

For the Maiden one, I've actually started to work on it before, and I really struggle with the part at :10. I can't seem to stretch my fingers far enough to play it that fast. Any suggestions on exercises that will get my left hand to be "wider"?

I'm not going to mess with recording for now. Once I get to where I can play them a bit, I'll give it a whirl. I'm a little confused because the backing track will be playing from my laptop and I will also be filming from it, so it might take a while to figure out the mixing...but, like I said, I'll worry about that when I have a decent grasp on the lessons!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 8 2013, 09:35 AM) *
Hello there smile.gif

For getting to be an all round good player and with your available time, here's what I have in mind:

It is no different than what I say to everyone wanting to become a balanced player - to focus on both rhythm and lead is a good idea, as in my opinion, a player that doesn't harness rhythm can't be a good lead player. So having these aspects in mind, what do you say about the following:

Day 1 - 2 - rhythm - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...ds-rock-rhythm/

Day 3 - 4 - lead - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Iron-M...-For-Beginners/

For each lesson the process should be the following:

- read the theoretical concepts - music is a language and you need to learn how to speak in order to express yourself and communicate with others as we have discussed before. If you have questions - it would be great to discuss them and in this way, with each lesson you will pick up some theory as well wink.gif
- learn the lesson structure - knowing the parts and which comes after which helps a lot!
- learn each part and reproduce it slowly with the metronome - pay attention to details in order to make this a one time process - by that, I mean that studying focused will not make you come back and re-learn it as you will not miss anything.
- put all the parts together and practice them against the slowest available backing track - keep the technique consistent at all times so that you will be efficient at the original speed smile.gif
- work your way up tempo with the available backing tracks

Day 5 - Due to the fact that you only have 1 hour to spend each day, you should use this day to solidify each lesson. By that, I mean that you should focus on getting the structures right and being able to play without stopping and using the slowest available backing track. Give 30 minutes to each lesson so that you may cover both.

Day 6 - Revision of both lessons - focusing on making sure you have dealt with all the details - timing, dynamics (playing evenly where it is required or respecting various accents) and interpretation. If you could give 1 hour to each, so that you may strive on being able to raise the speed by playing with as many of the available backing tracks as possible, it would be great wink.gif

Day 7 - Revision and conclusions - as stated in the previous individual schedules - it is a great idea to discuss your thoughts at the end of each week so that you may clearly understand your progress at THAT moment and what you should work on to improve even further. Please do ask questions along the way anyway tongue.gif

About recording - there are two possibilities here:

- either use a webcam and record both sound and video with it - first make some tests in order to see that you can hear both guitar and backing track in the audio recording
- record your guitar in a digital audio workstation - out of what I know, garage band comes with the Apple gear? Am I right? smile.gif Import the backing track in there and then use the UX to record the guitar on a separate track in the Garage Band. This seems like the logical way to me, but keep in mind that I've never used garage band tho. How have you recorded so far, if you have, that is? As for the video, you can start recording with the webcam simultaneously with the audio and then use an Apple video editing software to mix the audio and video together - I don't know which one they have installed already, but out of what I know, there is one, right? I think that in the beginning, until you manage to get a hold of the audio video separate recording, you can go for option one.

What do you think mate?

Cosmin

Can anyone tell me what a tab "L" is? See section 1 here for example: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...s-rock-rhythm/#

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 9 2013, 12:24 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (IComeFromTheWater @ Oct 8 2013, 11:59 PM) *

For the Maiden one, I've actually started to work on it before, and I really struggle with the part at :10. I can't seem to stretch my fingers far enough to play it that fast. Any suggestions on exercises that will get my left hand to be "wider"?

I'm not going to mess with recording for now. Once I get to where I can play them a bit, I'll give it a whirl. I'm a little confused because the backing track will be playing from my laptop and I will also be filming from it, so it might take a while to figure out the mixing...but, like I said, I'll worry about that when I have a decent grasp on the lessons!

Can anyone tell me what a tab "L" is? See section 1 here for example: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...s-rock-rhythm/#

L in the tab represents a tied note. It basically means two notes durations added together. You should play the first note and then let it ring for the duration of the second note (this one is usually labeled with L in the tab). You are only plucking the first note and letting it ring.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
IComeFromTheWate...
Oct 9 2013, 02:12 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 8 2013, 11:24 PM) *
L in the tab represents a tied note. It basically means two notes durations added together. You should play the first note and then let it ring for the duration of the second note (this one is usually labeled with L in the tab). You are only plucking the first note and letting it ring.

Thanks Bogdan! Never seen that before.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 9 2013, 10:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (IComeFromTheWater @ Oct 8 2013, 09:59 PM) *

Hey mate - looks like Bogdan beat me to it smile.gif Well, my advice is that you isolate that specific lick and work on it at slow speed with the metronome. Focus on stretching your fingers and keeping the same stance as you increase speed. Increase speed only when you feel relaxed enough with the lick - ok?

QUOTE (saintofbladez @ Oct 8 2013, 03:48 PM) *
Hey man,

I could definitely see where the problems were, like I said before, I need to pick harder for a start. Timing went well, I seemed to pick that one up fairly quickly, as long as I practice against a metronome now i'm set.
We can set it as soon as you're ready if you like dude smile.gif

Dan

Hey Dan smile.gif

Please keep the same procedures regarding the learning process and apply them on the following lessons, in order to push the development up the ladder a little bit more:

Rhythm: how about trying this one? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Disturbed-Style-Riffing/ - it is somewhat preparatory for the KSE one as I see it biggrin.gif

Lead: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/String-Bending/ - taking bending up a notch wink.gif

AND the...

Theory assignment regarding intervals:

- pick a note that we will consider your root note
- play all the intervals relative to that root one by one, slowly so that you may hear them - root/ interval, root/interval ...
- do it again and this time sing the name of the interval note in pitch while you play it
- do it again WITHOUT playing the interval - just sing it wink.gif

It will help your ear training with interval recognition!

What say you? smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
saintofbladez
Oct 9 2013, 05:57 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 9 2013, 10:20 AM) *
Hey mate - looks like Bogdan beat me to it smile.gif Well, my advice is that you isolate that specific lick and work on it at slow speed with the metronome. Focus on stretching your fingers and keeping the same stance as you increase speed. Increase speed only when you feel relaxed enough with the lick - ok?

Hey Dan smile.gif

Please keep the same procedures regarding the learning process and apply them on the following lessons, in order to push the development up the ladder a little bit more:

Rhythm: how about trying this one? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Disturbed-Style-Riffing/ - it is somewhat preparatory for the KSE one as I see it biggrin.gif

Lead: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/String-Bending/ - taking bending up a notch wink.gif

AND the...

Theory assignment regarding intervals:

- pick a note that we will consider your root note
- play all the intervals relative to that root one by one, slowly so that you may hear them - root/ interval, root/interval ...
- do it again and this time sing the name of the interval note in pitch while you play it
- do it again WITHOUT playing the interval - just sing it wink.gif

It will help your ear training with interval recognition!

What say you? smile.gif

Cosmin

Haha I can't sing to say my life but yeah sure i'll give that a go, i'll let you know how it goes lol

Dan smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 10 2013, 08:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (saintofbladez @ Oct 9 2013, 04:57 PM) *
Haha I can't sing to say my life but yeah sure i'll give that a go, i'll let you know how it goes lol

Dan smile.gif

Dan smile.gif Using your voice will help you tremendously in becoming an all around better musician - the voice is actually the shortest way to expressing your musical ideas almost on the spot. Once you get a good hang of that, you can work on transposing them on the guitar and after that, shortening the gap between your mind and the guitar biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2013, 04:45 PM
Instructor
Hey everyone! How's practicing going? Anyone finished the week with good results? If not, let's see how we can make them good smile.gif And who wants a new week planned?

+Quote Post
IComeFromTheWate...
Oct 13 2013, 09:11 PM
Making slow progress, but progress nonetheless! Going to stick to same routine this week.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 13 2013, 03:45 PM) *
Hey everyone! How's practicing going? Anyone finished the week with good results? If not, let's see how we can make them good smile.gif And who wants a new week planned?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2013, 07:37 AM
Instructor
Progress is always good, even if it's slow. Unless tomorrow you need to be performing with The Red Hot Chilly Peppers as their guitarist laugh.gif Kidding aside, let me know if you have any questions, ok?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 14 2013, 07:37 AM

+Quote Post
saintofbladez
Oct 14 2013, 09:52 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 13 2013, 04:45 PM) *

Time is suddenly disappearing with work, and I fractured my shoulder...-________- Woo for progression haha

+Quote Post
IComeFromTheWate...
Oct 15 2013, 12:12 AM
Tells us he's going to pick apples, but really is going to play with RHCP biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 14 2013, 06:37 AM) *
Progress is always good, even if it's slow. Unless tomorrow you need to be performing with The Red Hot Chilly Peppers as their guitarist laugh.gif Kidding aside, let me know if you have any questions, ok?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 15 2013, 08:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (saintofbladez @ Oct 14 2013, 08:52 PM) *
Time is suddenly disappearing with work, and I fractured my shoulder...-________- Woo for progression haha

My... are you ok mate? sad.gif Hope you will heal soon and you can get back to practicing as soon as possible!

QUOTE (IComeFromTheWater @ Oct 14 2013, 11:12 PM) *
Tells us he's going to pick apples, but really is going to play with RHCP biggrin.gif

Me? biggrin.gif Nah, I would need a Strat and I don't have one laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 18 2013, 05:52 PM
Instructor
Hey everyone - how are your schedules helping you out so far? Anyone interested in a new one?

+Quote Post
saintofbladez
Oct 22 2013, 10:50 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 18 2013, 05:52 PM) *
Hey everyone - how are your schedules helping you out so far? Anyone interested in a new one?

Dude i've learnt Killswitch's "My Curse", but I can't do the pinch harmonics for it properly, they sound really flat compared to the track. Is there something i'm missing for that sorta squeal?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 23 2013, 07:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (saintofbladez @ Oct 22 2013, 09:50 PM) *
Dude i've learnt Killswitch's "My Curse", but I can't do the pinch harmonics for it properly, they sound really flat compared to the track. Is there something i'm missing for that sorta squeal?

Hey bro - I'll get back to ya with a video in which I will explain what's what wink.gif Stay tuned on this thread!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 24 2013, 03:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (saintofbladez @ Oct 22 2013, 09:50 PM) *

Hehe - check this out - it's this riff you were talking about, right?

+Quote Post
saintofbladez
Oct 24 2013, 07:02 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 24 2013, 03:32 PM) *
Hehe - check this out - it's this riff you were talking about, right?

Wow thanks a lot for the video man smile.gif It's just gonna take some time I think. I can get decent ones out of the higher strings but the lower ones are still a pain. The My Curse the squeal is on the D note on the low C by the way. I just need to adjust the angle slightly.
Thanks again man smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 25 2013, 09:15 AM
Instructor
No problem mate wink.gif I just figured the riff out on the go - but the secret is trying to get as many pitches along the string and selecting the spot which is to your liking. Some are weaker some are stronger wink.gif You choose what you need, after being able to find them all smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 7 2013, 12:27 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Bumping up this cool thread.

Anyone needs a learning plan setup? smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
saintofbladez
Nov 10 2013, 08:01 PM
Could someone give me a hand with learning songs by ear? I'm not really sure where to begin lol What songs in general to try first :/

Dan

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:31 PM