> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Slowfingax's Thread, for gab's army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2014, 01:42 PM
Instructor
Hi SlowFinga!! Welcome to our thread for Gab's Army!! In this thread we will work on weekly guitar routines to help you become a better musician. This thread is also for discussing about music, sharing songs, clips, films, books, pics, stories and every stuff that we find inspirational to wake up our creativity.

Your influences:
"I'm always been very big Iron Maiden fan and also like a lot of course so many other bands from other genres too.
Some other bands are: Metallica, Megadeth, Sentenced, Jimi Hendrix, Danzig, GNR (Slash especially...my first guitarhero), Kingston Wall, Therapy, Joe Satriani, Mike Oldfield and many others smile.gif!"

Your goals for 2014:
"- Learn more about guitar playing .
- Sustainability (not very common word for me), I mean that I have started so many times to play guitar and then give up, when is not so easy anymore smile.gif some other meaning for my guitars than dust collectors smile.gif..I mean some respect to my guitars and play more smile.gif
- Play something more than just some riffs from here and there, so then it's easier to go to Guitar Shop to buy or even test some guitars ..LOL... so embrassing to play some Enter Sandman intro or something like that when salesman standing there and looking with face...not again. ..LOL
- Enjoy the trip to be a better guitar player with you guys here in GMC smile.gif and I hope you'll enjoy it too.
"

I would like to know:

- How many hours a day can you dedicate to guitar?
- What do you know about theory?
- Are you able to record yourself and post videos here? (You said that you have problems with sync, tell me how I can help you)

Ok mate, I'm happy to start this journey with you! I hope you enjoy it. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 8 2014, 02:54 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
SlowFingaX
Jan 8 2014, 03:16 PM
GMC:er
I would like to know:

- How many hours a day can you dedicate to guitar?
- What do you know about theory?
- Are you able to record yourself and post videos here? (You said that you have problems with sync, tell me how I can help you)

Hi Gabriel!

I dedicate to guitar at least 5 times a week 1-2 hours, sometimes more or less. (right now on January I have daily 1-2 hours).

Very hard question about theory...because it's pretty much something from here and there.

I know about A minor pentatonic from many different positions faster and faster month after month. Some basic major chords C,D,E,F,G,A,B and some minors Em, Am and also something else, but nothing much. I know notes, but I'm not pretty fast (harder notes are very slow...many notes at the same time means harder smile.gif, usually I'm just looking from tabs. I understand something about rhythm and timing/tempo, but sometimes my hand doesn't do everything I think about in my head biggrin.gif

When I solve my Laptop integrated webcam problem and can make some recording with it, I'll make it. Then I'm going to try to make some REC from lessons 1-2. Or what kind of recording you means? I have Windows Vista and Reaper/Audacity (some test records and got some sound) and Sonar XL 1 LE (never recorded anything with it...haven't got my guitar sound with it).
I got some sounds recorded with Boss GT-10 via USB to Reaper and Audacity. Biggest problem is to get some video with sound together. I'm googling, testing and asking here for some help to understand about those systems and I think it's not anything like Rocket science laugh.gif but it's going to take some time.

I hope you'll get enough information about my situation smile.gif and it's not too hopeless cool.gif

Let this be a start for very fun and good journey wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SlowFingaX: Jan 8 2014, 03:27 PM

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Ezmix 2 + many metal packs
Reaper

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2014, 11:36 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the info. It has been really cool to see you at my Vchat yesterday. The sessions will be a good complement to our work here so remember to check Vchat lesson notes weekly and try to assist every time you can.

By now, you can post audio clips here. You can insert Soundcloud links here for that. Synchronizing audio with video is not a difficult thing, I'm sure that you'll be able to do it soon. I use Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas for it. I record and create backings with Cubase.

Here is a list of recommended free video editors, maybe you can experiment with any of them: LINK

Regarding your practice we can start designing a guitar routine. Could you please post here some lessons that attracted your attention from the site and that you would like to learn?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Jan 9 2014, 07:37 PM
Hi!

It was nice to see you on vchat, everything here is still so new to me. And So many other new things...softwares, recording and playing with my Boss GT-10 and even Soundcloud and everything, but I'm learning and trying to do those things step by step smile.gif
I just made my first recording with Reaper and it's not very good, but at least something (just about 1 minute)...and with second take smile.gif
I mean this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...er-deep-purple/
Nothing harder than Smoke on the Water, because so many new things to me and of course it's great classic song too.
I hope that you'll find my first test record here:
https://soundcloud.com/slowfingax

Like I said it's not brilliant, but that's why I'm here happy.gif

What you think about it...it' pretty much test and nothing else...I have to learn also find out better a good sound from my GT-10.

Thanks for your editor link, I'll check those editors later. I downloaded today Camtasia Studio 8, do you know anything about it, at least it's good or bad for this kind of things?

I like so many lessons on GMC (after quick check..very hard to find out just some of them) lessons and there's some of them:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Iron-M...-For-Beginners/ (Must learn for me wink.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...dic-solo-in-gm/ (very nice piece..for beginner )

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/jumping-around-beginner/ (very good feeling and maybe good for me)

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...sciante-lesson/ (not much too hard to me and sounds good too)

Of course I just looked something about maximum difficult grade 2 lesson wink.gif

What you think about this kind of lessons for me?

Any good idea to remember better about every riffs and order from longer song smile.gif I mean that sometimes I find out.....I have to check again how it goes...or just training...training and then more training? biggrin.gif

Any good tips for those lessons? Do you think some other lesson/lessons for me?

This post has been edited by SlowFingaX: Jan 9 2014, 07:39 PM

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Reaper

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 9 2014, 10:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Exciting stuff! Congrats on your first soundcloud take. It sounds good! You can continue experimenting with guitar tones to make your guitar more distinctive in the mix (adding more treble could do the trick) but I think that we can really work with these type of files until you can provide videos. If you check on the left while you are writing in a thread, you will find the function "Insert: SoundcCloud", this means that if you click it and paste the link to your take, the player will appear here like this:

https://soundcloud.com/slowfingax/smokeonthewater-slowfingax

Regarding Camstudio, I don't have real experience with it but don't worry, every video editor should do the work ok. You just have to feel comfortable with it so take your time to try them.

Now let's talk about your practice for this first 2 weeks. We will schedule a diary routine with 1 lesson for each topic. Each lesson usually has 6 parts. The idea is that you learn first 2 parts on Monday, then a new part each day of the week. During the weekend the idea is that you connect all the parts and play the whole lesson, at least at slow tempo. So your schedule should look like this:

Alternate Picking:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

Monday: Parts 1 & 2. Learn each part and practice each one as a loop over metronome starting slowly. (as we did during the Vchat). Then combine both and play them also as a loop over metronome.

Tuesday: Play parts 1 and 2 for a few minutes and then learn part 3. Do the same with this part than you did with the other parts and then connect them.

Wednesday: Play parts 1, 2 and 3 for a few minutes and then learn part 3. Do the same with this part than you did with the other parts and then connect them.

The same idea goes for the other parts and days of the week.

Weekend: Connect all parts and practice them using the differenc backings provided.

When a lesson is short and simple you can avoid doing this, but when lessons are long and more demanding, this is the way to go.

Now, let's go with my suggestion for these first weeks guitar routine: (Once you did the warming up, the order is not importance)

GUITAR ROUTINE 1:

Warming up:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Arpeggios/

Alternate Picking:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

Legato:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

Rhythm:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Funky-Minor-Chords/

Musical lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/jumping-around-beginner/

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 9 2014, 10:28 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Jan 10 2014, 10:57 AM
Hi Gabe!

I have to work with tones and learn more about it and how I get it from my GT-10, I also have old Korg Pandora PX4 smile.gif

I'll try to find some easy and good program for record and edit..I have to also check my integrated webcam quality...because it's just something like 1,3M pixels...sounds pretty bad wink.gif let's see when I learn to take some test videos with it.

This warming up video with Petrucci looks nice ( first time I saw this exact same video about almost ten years ago, nice to use it for warm up now).

Lessons looking good and I'll do my best to learn those with this kind of schedule. This is very exciting to have some schedule, not just something here and there like before. So there's some direction for me now smile.gif

This means (just checking), because Alternate picking is two times here on schedule:

Monday: Parts 1 & 2 (every of those lessons: Warming up, Alternate Picking, Legato, Rhythm and Musical lesson)

Tuesday: Play parts 1 and 2 for a few minutes and then learn part 3 for every of those etc. ?

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Reaper

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 10 2014, 01:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Jan 10 2014, 06:57 AM) *
Hi Gabe!

I have to work with tones and learn more about it and how I get it from my GT-10, I also have old Korg Pandora PX4 smile.gif

I'll try to find some easy and good program for record and edit..I have to also check my integrated webcam quality...because it's just something like 1,3M pixels...sounds pretty bad wink.gif let's see when I learn to take some test videos with it.

Great! I think that Muris used that Pandora processor in his lessons. (Check the lesson's descriptions). I remember Jonathan Burgos used GT-8 and his tone on lessons is killer. There are lots of youtube tutorials that can help you to create good guitar tones with your pedalboard.

QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Jan 10 2014, 06:57 AM) *
Lessons looking good and I'll do my best to learn those with this kind of schedule. This is very exciting to have some schedule, not just something here and there like before. So there's some direction for me now smile.gif

This means (just checking), because Alternate picking is two times here on schedule:

Monday: Parts 1 & 2 (every of those lessons: Warming up, Alternate Picking, Legato, Rhythm and Musical lesson)

Tuesday: Play parts 1 and 2 for a few minutes and then learn part 3 for every of those etc. ?

Not sure about your question but that was just an example of what you have to do with each technique / lesson. Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Jan 10 2014, 02:38 PM
I'll try to make easier example what I mean smile.gif

This schedule means

Monday: Parts 1 & 2 just for Alternate Picking?

Or every of those Warming up, Alternate Picking, Legato, Rhythm and Musical lesson

Everything is ok, just asking to be sure smile.gif

But Now I think that I got it...It was just example with Alternate Picking smile.gif ( first time I read it very quickly wink.gif

First question after quick look and test from those lessons...from this lesson:

Legato:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

My guitar keeps more sound and humming and everything...tried many sound...especially...after move to B- string smile.gif
Just more and more training or it's important to have some palm muting for higher strings?

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Reaper

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 10 2014, 04:12 PM
Instructor
Great to know that it's clear now!

I recorded this video for you to explain how I solve that "unwanted noises" issue. Let me know if it clarifies the question!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Jan 11 2014, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Gab! This is very valuable video with good examples and explanations, it's going to take some time to fully learn it, but I'm starting to practice with it now! It's very important to remove those "unwanted noises" from my playing wink.gif

This post has been edited by SlowFingaX: Jan 11 2014, 12:46 PM

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Reaper

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 11 2014, 11:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Jan 11 2014, 08:42 AM) *
Thanks, Gab! This is very valuable video with good examples and explanations, it's going to take some time to fully learn it, but I'm starting to practice with it now! It's very important to remove those "unwanted noises" from my playing wink.gif

Great! Keep me updated. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Jan 13 2014, 09:12 PM
I'm almost on schedule with these lessons, only some problems with this lesson:

Rhythm:

I know Rhythm is important for playing, but with Funky style it's harder that normally...I'm not usually listen or play much this kind of stuff smile.gif nothing big but it's only which isn't on schedule yet smile.gif

I'll think that my first REC going to be this lesson:

Fiirst one have to be some nice and not so hard lesson...because usually after any kind on REC..everything starts to instantly go so wrong smile.gif (after some time it's going to be easier I hope smile.gif
What you think about this lesson for REC? I like it and it's also good for me.

Some progress with those unwanted noises, but it's going to take a more than few days to learn it wink.gif

I made some tests on weekend with Camtasia Studio 8 and it's not bad..could be better with good webcam biggrin.gif
Some questions about REC and any kind of recordings with webcam for using here. Whole guitar have to see on screen or it's ok if some frets isn't visible wink.gif have to test some other places to make these kind of recordings.

This post has been edited by SlowFingaX: Jan 13 2014, 09:50 PM

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Reaper

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2014, 12:16 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the complete update! It's great to see you focused and working hard. smile.gif

QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Jan 13 2014, 05:12 PM) *
I'm almost on schedule with these lessons, only some problems with this lesson:

Rhythm:
I know Rhythm is important for playing, but with Funky style it's harder that normally...I'm not usually listen or play much this kind of stuff smile.gif nothing big but it's only which isn't on schedule yet smile.gif

Thanks for being honest! I know that this is not your style and that's why I decided to include it into your routine as the warming up. There are some very defined reasons why I included it, but that's my secret. So don't ignore this one. mellow.gif

Just for future, every reason suggested is there for specific reasons. cool.gif

QUOTE (SlowFingaX @ Jan 13 2014, 05:12 PM) *
I'll think that my first REC going to be this lesson:

Fiirst one have to be some nice and not so hard lesson...because usually after any kind on REC..everything starts to instantly go so wrong smile.gif (after some time it's going to be easier I hope smile.gif
What you think about this lesson for REC? I like it and it's also good for me.

Some progress with those unwanted noises, but it's going to take a more than few days to learn it wink.gif

I made some tests on weekend with Camtasia Studio 8 and it's not bad..could be better with good webcam biggrin.gif
Some questions about REC and any kind of recordings with webcam for using here. Whole guitar have to see on screen or it's ok if some frets isn't visible wink.gif have to test some other places to make these kind of recordings.

Exciting stuff! yeah, recording needs also some practice because we usually suffer the "red light symptom" and the good thing is that it disappears with practice. Before you post your take at rec, you can post it here so we can work on playing and technical details.
Regarding the camera view, at least you should show both hands and the frets that you play.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Jan 14 2014, 08:01 PM
I'll trust your experience smile.gif and I don't hate funk or anything...just not so typical for me and going to take more time...I like to challenge myself with things...which isn't always so fun and easy ...The long run is more important!

I even made my first test video with Camtasia Studio 8 with some problems with also very much "red light symptom" .
This "final" take isn't almost the best one (much more better without red light)...but I think it's easier for you to see some possible problem areas on my playing and then give some feedback and advices. rolleyes.gif
I made video with old webcam which I found on my closet (never used it before) some old Logitech model...

This is hidden file on Youtube (going to remove it someday...after better version...the REC version)
There was a little bit problems...with editing...because, after playing..everything seems to be ok..then after make one file from backing track and my playing...it isn't on sync anymore, but I tried to make something ...I'm on video after 00:09 laugh.gif

How about this video view, quality (it's enough?)...sounds...anything?

One more question about REC...there have to be also same sound on my version? (pretty hard to get it ) dry.gif

This post has been edited by SlowFingaX: Jan 14 2014, 09:24 PM

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Reaper

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2014, 01:04 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great stuff! This video is a very good first step. The video and audio quality are enough for our work there and even for REC. There is always room for improvements and it's good to keep on improving your quality. (camera, lighting, angle, audio mix) Who knows, you could be soon uploading videos playing your own songs and having attractive videos is a good additional thing. But once again, we are ready to start working, and also to start fighting the red light symptom.

Regarding your playing on this lesson, I think that you are on the right track and the two main things that came to mind are that you could improve your vibrato technique and also your right hand alternate picking motion. In both cases, your wrist is rigid, and that's where the movement should be focused.

Check how Satriani makes his left hand movement when he plays bending and then add vibrato. I recommend to add the first exercises of this video into your diary practice.

and check Paul's right hand movement on the following video. Check how he starts the movement from his wrist.

You also look a bit rigid while you play, you will start feeling more comfortable soon and then you should keep your body, arms and hands more relaxed.

About the tone, the close it is with the original lesson, the better. But that's not something that means a bad grade. You can use it also as a practice to be able to get the sound that you have in your mind. At first the practice is to get the tone that you are listening, or at least something close to it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Jan 15 2014, 05:39 PM
Hi Gab!

Thanks for good advices...and I'll know I'm pretty rigid sometimes, even more with red light smile.gif
Maybe some reasons are these: the fact, that was the first time webcam playing and maybe not the best possible view and my position not maybe so normal..because I thought that whole fretboard have to see (so have to take that kind of position it's visible on video)...so ...maybe have to try also some other place to test make recording or something smile.gif or at least different place for my camera and more editing wink.gif
Right now I'll try to learn to make my wrist..hand...and whole man more relaxed when playing.

It's always pleasure to check how Joe do it...everything seems to be so easy for him smile.gif of course Paul is also very good.
But Satch always been one of my favourites.

But now first video is behind...and next one is maybe a little easier...next after that...maybe again a little easier and so on... cool.gif

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Reaper

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2014, 08:19 PM
Instructor
This sounds very good for me mate. I can feel you motivated and with a very positive energy. Great things are coming. smile.gif
I'll wait for news.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Jan 19 2014, 01:04 PM
Hi Gab!

I have been a little bit busy a few days, but of course I still made my daily guitar trainings wink.gif

Right now I have also some problems with my crappy old computer...many times got some blue screen lately and reboot after eboot mellow.gif
I have have to deal some times with this machine and I'll hope I can solve those problems. The last solution is format everything and
then install everything from beginning...and I'll hate it very much...so first I'll try to do everything else smile.gif

Something about those lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Arpeggios/

Still some problems with part 4 and 5, but day after day it's better and on next week I'm going to make it better and get it through.

On next video this going to be better.....I liked your advices and learning and learning to make mymy wrist..hand...and whole man more relaxed when playing.

I have positive energy like you said...and it's just a matter of time before you going to get some good news from my direction smile.gif
On next week I going to take some videos for you to check...and then give me some more advices smile.gif

Everything goes forward and it's fun and it's motivate me to work out more and more smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Reaper

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2014, 05:44 PM
Instructor
Hi friend! This sounds very good! I think that we are doing a very productive and inspiring journey together. Don't worry about being busy and computer issues, we are not hurried., keep on motivated. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Jan 23 2014, 04:58 PM
Hi Gab!

Like I said before, some problems with my laptop and I finally made decision a few days ago to format my system drive c: and start everything from the beginning with it wink.gif (it was very frustrating to use it with so many daily bluescreens ohmy.gif ) .
It's very boring to setup everything (softwares etc.), but this isn't the first time...very normal with Windows systems smile.gif
But now I'm here again online and of course something still to do (updates after updates). huh.gif
I'm going to check one new video software for me... (Cyberlink PowerDirector) and maybe take some test videos with it on weekend.
If it's not very bad one wink.gif

I have made many kind of extra trainings...more vibrato technique ...checked some Ben's Vibrato Odyssey lessons.
Also tried to strengthen my fingers for bending much much more...and I'll think that those trainings are going to give me some prizes later on our journey.

Everything is ok and I'm even more motivated, because always when I'll find out even some development on my playing, it feels so good cool.gif have to remember that feeling..when it's hard time with some part of lessons rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by SlowFingaX: Jan 23 2014, 05:00 PM

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Reaper

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:42 AM