> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Dioxic's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2013, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Dioxic!! Welcome to your Gab's Army thread!!

Could you please tell me a bit about you, your musical tastes, influences, strengths and weaknesses? I would need some videos of you playing rhythm and solo guitar, so please post your best material here. If you have some music or ideas of your own, also post them here. Also let me know how you think that I can help you and what are your expectations for our job. You can check the other Army's thread to discover the different modalities of this project.

The principles of our Army are:

+ Improve your technique
+ Make music and solos
+ Have fun
+ Destroy the enemy (hahaha not realy just kidding... )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dioxic
Apr 5 2013, 06:29 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Gabriel!

I come from a blues, 60's rock, and indie rock background. So those are the styles that I'm most comfortable with and for a long time my favorite players were:

- Jimi Hendrix
- John Frusciante
- John Mayer
etc.

More recently I've been getting into a lot more jazz fusion / progressive rock and have been finding that my usual way of playing with large bluesy bends and mostly pentatonic based scales doesn't really translate too well. Some guitarists that I've been listening to a lot lately are:

- Guthrie Govan
- Jason Becker
- Pat Metheney
- Paul Gilbert
- Paul Jackson Jr.
- Joe Pass
- Greg Howe
- Shawn Lane
- EVH

I know that's a pretty wide and varied list, but it gives you an idea of what direction I'm hoping to head in.

I'm going to post some videos of my playing for you on Saturday. I'll include some improv, some rhythm playing, and some snippets from songs I can play.

I know all your basic Major, minor, Maj7, Min7, M7b5, & dominant chords and know how to build larger extensions, but not too quickly. I know some basic triad and seventh arpeggio shapes and have learned most of what I listed above via the CAGED system.

I'm hoping you can help me gain the technical ability to head in the direction of playing some of the things that the players I've been listening to lately can play, help improve my improv, and help improve my comping / rhythm skills. That's not to say I can't play "on rhythm," but it'd be great to improve my rhythm chops.

I should also probably add I'm in a guitar ensemble at school and I just got about 10 new pieces dumped on me for performances next month, so I might be a little distant until those are done.

Sorry for the long winded response!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 5 2013, 03:58 PM
Instructor
Excellent!! Thanks a lot for your detailed information. This will be very exciting. I'll wait for your videos to now exactly at what level you are and to start working. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Dioxic
Sep 22 2013, 07:09 PM
Learning Roadie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LZAJbXq_tc...eature=youtu.be

Here's a video of me sort of noodling around. I'm not really sure what you're looking for. I could post a video of me comping a jazz chart or playing rhythm to a different sort of tune too.

I'm not exactly a fan of my soloing and I know that my phrasing (or lack there of) needs a lot of work (knowing is half the battle, right?). I feel like with my current knowledge overall familiarity with the instrument I'm sort of on a tipping point and with some proper guidance I could start heading in a pretty positive direction. My current guitarist obsessions to amend the list a little are Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Jason Becker, Shawn Lane, Tuck Andress, Paul Jackson Jr, and George Benson.

Most of the guys I listed are both technical monsters and pretty musical in their playing and I don't expect to get tehre over night, but any how let me know what you think and if you need any more videos or info and where we should get started.

This post has been edited by Dioxic: Sep 22 2013, 10:09 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 23 2013, 04:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks a lot for your video. I just wanted to have an idea of your playing. This really helps. I think that you have a good timing and that your phrases make sense. Learning many licks and solos could give you a more extended vocabulary and will make your improvisations richer. Please have a look at this article, and let me know which of these things you've already learnt, practiced...

http://www.guitarhabits.com/10-essentials-...-improvisation/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Dioxic
Sep 24 2013, 07:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Gabe,

Thanks for the kind words.

So I took a look at the list...

I know all 5 shapes of the minor pentatonic scale (and I guess by virtue the major pentatonic as well)

I know all 5 shapes of the major scale. I tend to think of the major scale and it's relative positions in terms of the CAGED system because thats how I learned them. I'm now in the process of trying to connect them. Although I know the shapes they aren't as engrained or connected in my mind as the minor pentatonic is.

I've never really used melodic patterns musically before. Sometimes I would use them as a warm up exercise by running various major scale shapes in three, four, five, and sometimes 6 note sequences.

I just recently started attempting to learn the various triad shapes all over the neck after getting into old school r&b guitar. With enough time i can play 1st, 2nd, and 3rd inversions on all string sets, but they aren't engraved in my mind and again I haven't implemented them into my soloing.

I know a lot of Major7, minor 7, m7b5, and dom7 arpeggios in the context of variosu CAGED shapes, but I haven't really been able to successfully apply them to my soloing with the exception of the occasional C-shape sweep or that sort of thing.

I'm probably lacking most in licks. I don't have much of a "lick library" or anything like that to draw from when improvising.

Modes are something that I've never really explored. I've messed around with Dorian and a few others occasionally. I understand the concept. I.e. Phrygian is starting on the 3rd scale degree or could also be tied to the parallel major,,.if I'm not mistaken that is!

Hope that helps to give you an idea! I've explored a lot of these things, but haven't been able to incorporate much of them into my improvising.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 24 2013, 05:05 PM
Instructor
Ok, great input! The idea behind that article is to show you all the things that you can work when you want to become a better improviser. Each of those topic sums to your ability an being able to connect everything is the way to go. Learning licks, arpeggios, patterns, and so, will make you understand the fretboard and connect your mind with the guitar. If you do this consciously, you will get more of each topic/concept.

GMC is full of musical lessons that you can learn to start incorporating licks in different styles. As each lesson comes with a backing track, you can also use them for triad and arpeggios practice, and then combine both things, some improvisations with the original lesson.

This would be the best way to go would be starting with the basics: Blues. We could go for some blues lessons at the site and use them to incorporate licks, and to practice minor and major pentatonic, dominant arpeggios, dominant triads, and some more advanced ideas like Mixolydian and Dorian Modes.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Dioxic
Sep 25 2013, 12:15 AM
Learning Roadie
The blues sound like a great place to start! The blues are sort of where I started and what I'm most familiar with, so to begin building on it in a more conscious approach would most definitely be a great jumping off point.

Are there any lessons in particular you'd recommend we start with?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 25 2013, 02:46 PM
Instructor
These are some of my favourites:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Dynamics/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/blues-phrasing/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Stevie...pired_Phrasing/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Kenny-...pherd-Phrasing/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Embellishments/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Dioxic
Sep 28 2013, 07:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Some pretty cool lessons here. I'm going to begin working on the SRV inspired phrasing lesson.

You may have also seen my Ben's land of legato post before. I'm going to continue working on the second part of that series and lastly are there any videos you'd recommend to increase my alternate picking coordination and speed? I'd like to divide my practice time between the two mentioned above and something related to alternate picking. How does that sound?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2013, 09:22 PM
Instructor
This is the best way to go mate. Dividing your time to cover the topics/techniques you want to cover is the best way to take your playing to a new level. Here are some lessons for alternate picking:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ernate-workout/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Arpeggios/

and here you can check some of my favourite Technique exercises: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:26 AM