Ozzy Osbourne (born as John Michael Osbourne 12.09.1948 in Aston, Uk) is a Rock-vocalist. He was the frontman of the first Metal Band Black Sabbath, has a successfull solo-career and was the star of his own reality-TV show The Osbournes.
John Michael Osbourne was born as the fourth of six children of working-class couple Jack and Lillian Osbbourne. His father beeing a mechanist and his mother working in a char-factory, the Osbournes lived in lower-class two-room appartement. Ozzy attended school until he was 15 years old, he also got his nickname Ozzy from his school years. He started working with 15 years to support his parents but his jobs as butcher or plumber were badly paid. He became a thief and robber to get more money and was arrested for six months. In prison, he tattooed himself his nickname onto his fingers which became his trademark.
After his released he became a singer for local bands. A bassist called Terry Geezer Butler answered on Osbournes add to form a blues band. Toghether with local guitarist Toni Iommi and drummer Bill Ward the Band Earth was founded in 1968, which was renamed into Black Sabbath in 1969.
With the name change the band also changed their style from playing blues and rock and roll: The idea was to play terrifying music. The debut album Black Sabbath was recorded in only 12 hours but it defined and created a whole new genre: The Heavy Metal. Black Sabbath were the first band to use low and doomy riffs based on the blues sclae with guitar solos and Ozzy's melacholic vocals. Their vocals were about death and insanity and created a very dark atmosphere that often related the band to Satanism.
The Bands music became popular in Great Britain pretty fast, their second Album Paranoid entered the charts on #1 and sold over 4 million times. With their following albums the band became more an more famous and Ozzy fell victim to the Rock and Roll lifestyle: He became addicted to drugs and alcohol. His addiction was unbearable to the other band members so that Ozzy was thrown out of the band in 1979.
After his dismiss from Black Sabbath due to drug addiction, Ozzy turned his back to music business and stayed in the Le Parc Hotel in Los Angeles for months, doing drugs intensively. Sharon Arden (she will become his second wife later) encouraged him to star a Solo career and helped him to form a band with a certain Randy Rhoads as his guitarist. This lineup recorded the million selling records Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman and toured around the World several times. During a gig in Des Moines, Iowa a fan threw a bat onto the the stage, Ozzy picked it up, thought it was fake and bit it's head off. This supported his Madman attitude which he kept alive through maniac behaviour on stage.
In a tragic plain crash his guitarist Randy Rhoads died in 1982 and Ozzy had to try out a couple of other guitarists until he found Jake E. Lee, with whom he recorded the hit records Bark at the Moon and The Ultimate Sin.
In 1983 his wife Sharon put Ozzy into the Betty Ford Center to rehabilitate his drug addiction which turned him from a party monster into a caring husband but not for too long.
In 1988 Ozzy replaced the leaving Jake E. Lee with the 19 year old, unknown guitarist Zakk Wylde and recorded the Album No Rest For The Wicked.
Ozzy fell back into his addictions and was even arrested for trying to strangle his wife. After that he finally and completely abandoned drugs and alcohol and recorded the hit-record No More Tears in 1991. Ozzy now suffered under shivering attacks and a speaking disorder, the doctors discovered that he has Parkinson but the type that could be treated with medications.
Ozzy did not retire with his discovered disease, he even kicked it up a notch. He toured with the reunited Black Sabbath, recorded several other records with his own band and established his own Metal-Open-Air festival called Ozzfest. He even had his own reality-TV show about his family life that made him and his family even more popular. Ozzy continues to release quality records and tours the planet to the present day.
Ozzy is known to be a very funny and humorus guy but he can also act madly on stage and is related to some weird and crazy action in the past (most of it happened when he was intoxicated). For example: He bit the head off a bat live on stage, shot his cat with no particular reason or sucked in bunch of ants into his nose because he thought they were Cocaine... Ozzy was nicknamed The Prince Of Darkness during his time with Black Sabbath but he was never related to any kind of satanism. He stated that it was just for the dark image of the band.
Ozzy Osbourne is now married for the second time, first he was married to Thelma Riley and he is now Married to Sharon Arden. Osbourne has seven children, 5 biological and 2 adopted ones. With Thelma he had his first daughter Jessica Starshine Osbourne Hobbs (20 January 1972) and Louis John Osbourne (1975), he also adopted Elliot Kingsley (1966) as his son with her. With his new wife Sharon he had three more children,they are Aimee Osbourne (2 September 1983), Kelly Osbourne (27 October 1984) and Jack Osbourne (8 November 1985). They also adopted Robert Marcato after his mother died. Osbourne also has three grandchildren, Isabelle and Harry from his daughter Jessica and granddaughter Maia from son Louis.
Osbourne achieved greater celebrity status by the unlikely success of his own brand of reality television. The Osbournes, a series featuring the domestic life of Osbourne and his family (wife Sharon, children Jack and Kelly, but not their other children, who declined to participate). The program became one of MTV's greatest hits. It premiered on March 5, 2002, and the final episode aired March 21, 2005.
Ozzy always had an extremely lucky hand at picking his guitarists. His choice for Black Sabbath Toni Iommi singlehandedly created the Heavy Metal genre and wrote some of the most famous riffs of all time (Paranoid, Iron Man). Ozzy also picked only the best of the best for his solo career. His first gutaris was the great Randy Rhoads, a classical influenced guitarist, who was the main reason for Osbourne's solo success. His replacement Jake E. Lee was at least as good as Rhandy and wrote some of Ozzy's greatest hits. Ozzy's third main guitarrist was the (at this time) only 19 years old Zakk Wylde who became one of todays best guitarist thanks to Ozzy's support. Many people do not know that Steve Vai, Alex Skolnick from Testament or Jerry Cantrell from Alice in Chains worked for Ozzy as session or touring guitarists.
* Tony Iommi (1968-1978 1980-1999, 2001-2005) * Randy Rhoads (1979-1982) * Bernie Torme (1982) * Brad Gillis (1982) * Jake E Lee (1982-1987) * Zakk Wylde (1987-1992, 1998, 2002-2004, 2006-present) * Steve Vai (1994-1995) * Alex Skolnick (1995) * Joe Holmes (1995-2001) * Jerry Cantrell (2004-2006
Studiorecords with Black Sabbath
* 1970 - Black Sabbath * 1970 - Paranoid * 1971 - Master Of Reality * 1972 - Black Sabbath Vol. 4 * 1973 - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath * 1975 - Sabotage * 1976 - Technical Ecstacy * 1978 - Never Say Die
Liverecords, Compilations & Box-Sets
* 1975 - We Sold Our Souls For Rock 'N' Roll (Best Of) * 1976 - The Best Of Black Sabbath (Best Of) * 1977 - Greatest Hits (Best Of) * 1980 - Live At Last (Live) * 1983 - The Best (Best Of) * 1985 - The Black Sabbath Collection (Best Of) * 1991 - The Ozzy Osbourne Years (Best Of) * 1994 - Iron Man (Compilation) * 1998 - Reunion (Live + 2 new studiosongs) * 2002 - Past Lives * 2004 - Black Box (Box-Set with 8 CDs)
Singles & EPs
* 1969 - Black Mass EP (EP) * 1970 - Evil Woman (Don't Play Your Games With Me) * 1970 - Wicked World * 1970 - The Wizard * 1970 - Paranoid * 1970 - Iron Man * 1971 - After Forever * 1972 - Snowblind / Paranoid (Live) * 1972 - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath / Changes * 1972 - Wheels Of Confusion * 1972 - Wicked World * 1972 - Tomorrow's Dream * 1973 - Children Of The Grave * 1975 - Am I Going Insane * 1976 - Gypsy * 1976 - It's Alright * 1978 - Hard Road * 1978 - Never Say Die * 1998 - Paranoid (Live) * 1998 - Selling My Soul * 1998 - Psycho Man
Studiorecords as Ozzy Osbourne (Solo)
* 1980 - Blizzard Of Ozz * 1981 - Diary Of A Madman * 1983 - Bark At The Moon * 1986 - The Ultimate Sin * 1988 - No Rest For The Wicked * 1991 - No More Tears * 1995 - Ozzmosis * 2001 - Down To Earth * 2005 - Under Cover (Cover-Album) * 2007 - Black Rain
Liverecords, Compilations & Box-Sets
* 1982 - Speak Of The Devil (Live) * 1984 - The Other Side Of Ozzy Osbourne (Compilation) * 1987 - Randy Rhoads Tribute (Live) * 1989 - Best Of Ozz (Best Of) * 1990 - Just Say Ozzy (Live) * 1990 - Ten Commandments (Best Of) * 1993 - Live And Loud (Live) * 1995 - Best Ballads * 1996 - Greatest Hits (Best Of) * 1997 - The Ozzman Cometh (Best Of) * 2002 - Live At Budokan (Live) * 2003 - The Essential Ozzy Osbourne (Best Of) * 2005 - Prince Of Darkness (Box-Set)
Singles & EPs
* 1980 - Mr Crowley * 1980 - Crazy Train * 1981 - Flying High Again * 1981 - Over The Mountain * 1982 - Little Dolls * 1982 - Tonight * 1982 - Symptom Of The Universe (Live) * 1982 - Paranoid (Live) * 1982 - Revelation (Mother Earth) * 1983 - Iron Man (Live) * 1983 - Bark At The Moon * 1984 - So Tired * 1986 - The Ultimate Live Ozzy EP (EP) * 1986 - The Ultimate Sin * 1986 - Shot In The Dark * 1987 - Lightning Strikes * 1987 - Prince Of Darkness (EP) * 1987 - Crazy Train (Live) * 1988 - Back To Ozz (EP) * 1988 - Shot In The Dark * 1988 - Miracle Man * 1989 - Crazy Babies * 1989 - Breaking All The Rules (EP) * 1989 - Close My Eyes Forever (with Lita Ford) * 1990 - The Urpney Song * 1991 - No More Tears * 1991 - Hellraiser * 1992 - Mama I'm Coming Home * 1992 - Mr. Tinkertrain * 1992 - Time After Time * 1992 - Road To Nowhere * 1992 - I Ain't No Nice Guy * 1993 - Changes (Live) * 1995 - Perry Mason * 1996 - I Just Want You * 1996 - See You On The Other Side * 1996 - Walk On Water (Promo) * 1997 - Back On Earth * 2001 - Gets Me Through * 2002 - Dreamer * 2003 - Mama I'm Coming Home (Version 2002) * 2003 - Changes (with Kelly Osbourne) * 2005 - Mississippi Queen * 2005 - In My Life * 2007 - I Don't Wanna Stop * 2007 - Not Going Away
--ZakkWylde 14:02, 17 May 2008 (CEST)